Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 06:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No, man doesn't have a 'sin', in the religious dogmatic/ theological sense, but is a social problem. If one abandons the Biblical concept of sin, because one abandons the mythical explanation of what it is about (disobeying the orders of a mythical being), then it's simple. Religion has no input into social ethics.

You've been told before, that isn't reality. A lot of people stopped the evil. Religion took the credit. Who stopped Hitler? Stalin (half of, anyway). So atheism gets the credit? Use the 'same logic', Arach, and abandon the fallacy of special pleading. You won't 'match reality' that way, but only fit reality to prejudice.
I agree .... Religions don't get credit for the good or the bad to me.

What I do ... If you blame religion (which you actually don't ...it just a general you) then I will show where religion stopped the very thing you (not trans here) pointed to stopping it or it had nothing to do with religion.

you are right ... neither are true. But since when is fighting fairytales with fairytales something you never use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 07:32 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
As an atheist, of course you disagree. However, man does have a sin problem.
Good old theist equivocation, yet again. 'Sin' as the context of human society and ethics, yes, we have that. Sin in the religious theological Dogma sense - no we don't (or so I'd argue) have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, I don't believe religion plays any part ... good or bad.

I only answer it when atheist misuse the information. To me that's what snake oil salesmen do. Weather they are theist or not makes no never mind to me.
So far I haven't seen you (or indeed the other non - theist atheist -bashers) make a good case for the 'atheist' misusing information. Just dishing out the accusation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Man doesn't.

Christians do.
Indeed. It depends on what is meant by 'Sin'.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:37 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Good old theist equivocation, yet again. 'Sin' as the context of human society and ethics, yes, we have that. Sin in the religious theological Dogma sense - no we don't (or so I'd argue) have that.
Since we have different perspectives on the issue we are not going to agree and you sure as hell have nothing to impress me. So you may as well drop it.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I agree .... Religions don't get credit for the good or the bad to me.

What I do ... If you blame religion (which you actually don't ...it just a general you) then I will show where religion stopped the very thing you (not trans here) pointed to stopping it or it had nothing to do with religion.

you are right ... neither are true. But since when is fighting fairytales with fairytales something you never use?
Historically just because the majority in the west was Christian (still is, perhaps) it could (at the time, as now) claim the credit for anything good. But anything bad was blamed on somebody else. If this is fighting fairy - tales, with either fact or other fairy -tales, I suggest you don't use that particular argument as evidence for anything, particularly as it is blatantly a special -pleading fallacy.

If you want to promote the cause of religion or bash atheism, find something else; that one won't help you.

Quote:
Since we have different perspectives on the issue we are not going to agree and you sure as hell have nothing to impress me. So you may as well drop it.
Since I have made the valid case - unless you can counter it with anything better than a Flounce, I'm happy to leave it there at least.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-07-2020 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-07-2020, 07:46 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Since I have made the valid case - unless you can counter it with anything better than a Flounce, I'm happy to leave it there at least.
In my estimation you're overly enamored with your own opinions, and now trying to pick a fight. I have no need to bother with you.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-07-2020 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2020, 08:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
In my experience, Christians are the best flouncers.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
In my estimation you're overly enamored with your own opinions, and now trying to pick a fight. I have no need to bother with you.
It is regrettable, Mr. Way, that you see my explaining that 'Sin' (bad social ethics) and Sin (in Christian Doctrine) are two different things, plus noting that you prefer to walk away while pretending that I'm not fit to listen to is Me trying to pick a fight.

It does not make your Cause (at least) look very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In my experience, Christians are the best flouncers.
The original and still the best...way of running away claiming 'I win'.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:37 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,727,874 times
Quote:
I am real easy ... all I do is look what a person says and see if matches reality.

So when an atheist says something like "look at he south, look at how those believers behaved." or "the bible says it ok to have slaves". I merely point that 21 million bible believers went and stopped 7 million other believers.

thats all. It tells us something when we can defeat our own arguments using our same logic. If I have to obscure some logic to sway people away from a belief, that tells me something too.

we all are against "fundy theist". Even the most basic look at people shows its not about belief. It really becomes "fundy think type". I am against them deciding the rules weather they are believers or not. that's all.

If believers fought believers, the obvious conclusion is that religion was not the issue in the Civil War.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:40 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,412,617 times
How fair is Christianity? A life long pedophile could change his life and start to live the righteous life, accepting Jesus Christ in his life and serving the lord giving him the possibility of the afterlife yet a Buddhist Monk could live his life not believing Jesus Christ at all and after death experience total annihilation or eternal hell. Pretty fair deal eh?

Old 12-08-2020, 06:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If believers fought believers, the obvious conclusion is that religion was not the issue in the Civil War.
it is so painfully obvious that religion causes wars really should never be brought. And I am not just getting out of the way of atheist using it a weapon or logic for a statement against anti-religion/religion.

You guys learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality