Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It has been answered several times....You know, those words that you religious choke on...We do not know.
Maybe because being religious and knowing God are not the same thing.

I do know Jesus Christ.
I am known by Jesus Christ.
I hear His voice, and another I do not follow.
He speaks to me by His Word and by His Spirit.
He is not a liar. What He has said, He does, and will do, and did.

I have not seen, but I believe by the Revelation of Jesus Christ [which is the state of being born again in Spirit, from above], that He has prepared glorious things for me:

Isa 64:4 For since the beginning of the world [men] have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, [what] he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him. 1Cr 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. There are lots of things we Adam race persons don't know. God asked Job these things:

Quote:
1: Then Jehovah answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2: Who is this that darkeneth counsel By words without knowledge?
3: Gird up now thy loins like a man; For I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
4: Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? Declare, if thou hast understanding.
5: Who determined the measures thereof, if thou knowest? Or who stretched the line upon it?
6: Whereupon were the foundations thereof fastened? Or who laid the corner-stone thereof,
7: When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8: Or [who] shut up the sea with doors, When it brake forth, [as if] it had issued out of the womb;
9: When I made clouds the garment thereof, And thick darkness a swaddling-band for it,
10: And marked out for it my bound, And set bars and doors,
11: And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further; And here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
12: Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days [began], [And] caused the dayspring to know its place;
13: That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, And the wicked be shaken out of it?
14: It is changed as clay under the seal; And [all things] stand forth as a garment:
15: And from the wicked their light is withholden, And the high arm is broken.
16: Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? Or hast thou walked in the recesses of the deep?
17: Have the gates of death been revealed unto thee? Or hast thou seen the gates of the shadow of death?
18: Hast thou comprehended the earth in its breadth? Declare, if thou knowest it all.
19: Where is the way to the dwelling of light? And as for darkness, where is the place thereof,
20: That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, And that thou shouldest discern the paths to the house thereof?
21: [Doubtless], thou knowest, for thou wast then born, And the number of thy days is great!
22: Hast thou entered the treasuries of the snow, Or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
23: Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, Against the day of battle and war?
24: By what way is the light parted, Or the east wind scattered upon the earth?
25: Who hath cleft a channel for the waterflood, Or the way for the lightning of the thunder;
26: To cause it to rain on a land where no man is; On the wilderness, wherein there is no man;
27: To satisfy the waste and desolate [ground], And to cause the tender grass to spring forth?
28: Hath the rain a father? Or who hath begotten the drops of dew?
29: Out of whose womb came the ice? And the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
30: The waters hide themselves [and become] like stone, And the face of the deep is frozen.
31: Canst thou bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the bands of Orion?
32: Canst thou lead forth the Mazzaroth in their season? Or canst thou guide the Bear with her train?
33: Knowest thou the ordinances of the heavens? Canst thou establish the dominion thereof in the earth?
34: Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, That abundance of waters may cover thee?
35: Canst thou send forth lightnings, that they may go, And say unto thee, Here we are?
36: Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? Or who hath given understanding to the mind?
37: Who can number the clouds by wisdom? Or who can pour out the bottles of heaven,
38: When the dust runneth into a mass, And the clods cleave fast together?
39: Canst thou hunt the prey for the lioness, Or satisfy the appetite of the young lions,
40: When they couch in their dens, [And] abide in the covert to lie in wait?
41: Who provideth for the raven his prey, When his young ones cry unto God, [And] wander for lack of food?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It has been answered several times....You know, those words that you religious choke on...We do not know.

Regarding Ben Stein's intelligence.

YouTube - Why do people laugh at creationists? (part 22)

No...IT HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED!

"I DON'T KNOW" is not an answer to something you are calling a fact.

If you don't know, then you really don't know if there was a substance.

LOL

Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Who made god? I asked that earlier, which you have failed to answer.
Or was your god "something from nothing".

Oh I explained it......
God would be God if He needed to be made. He is the uncaused first cause. I know you can't dig it. God is not limited that way.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Oh I explained it......
God would be God if He needed to be made. He is the uncaused first cause. I know you can't dig it. God is not limited that way.
In other words, you don't know who made your gawd. You just feel compelled to makie up stuff to explain your illogical belief and claim that everyone else is wrong to say that they don't know.

Not a compelling argument, using special circumstances to support your silliness while denying it to others.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
In other words, you don't know who made your gawd. You just feel compelled to makie up stuff to explain your illogical belief and claim that everyone else is wrong to say that they don't know.

Not a compelling argument, using special circumstances to support your silliness while denying it to others.
He meant that God would not be YHWH Elohym/ LORD God if He needed to be made. The Word is clear that made 'gods' are not gods at all, but are vain folly.
But God does indeed tell us in His Word that He is uncreated, self existing, unchanging LIFE/BREATH, and that there is none that "preceeded" Him.
He is the LIVING Fire, the Creator, Sustainer, who made all things by Himself, for Himself, and who owns your breath, which is stamped with His own manufacturers brandname "YHWH". And the Scriptures teach is that YHWH Elohym, in the Person of the Word, is come in second creation human being flesh, to be our Kinsman/Redeemer, and that Adam is made in His own one, single, "Tselem/Image/similitude".
Each breath that every living soul takes in is His gift, on loan, and He has stamped it with His Name, showing that He owns it and lent it to each living soul.
Every time you take breath, you say His name, in and out; "YH" -WH", which is not a spoken word, but a breathing of His "life" which he has given you.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default What was all that supposed to prove?

YSM, I do not refer to the ancient uses of herbs as antibiotics. As you must surely know from your knowledge of world history, many herbal remedies were used for millenia. Hardly the focused and productive methods now used to track down antibiotics specific to a unique biological threat, wouldn't you agree? After all, back in the Dark Ages you lovingly cherish, they didn't even know about bacteria. They thought the world was made of earth, fire, water and what was it? Phlogiston? If it burned, it had phlogiston in it. Right.....

Phlogiston theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was the level of objective interpretation common to the day, including that used by the original authors of the bible. To then carry on that mode of thinking in this day and age, and then claim it was all literally true [but inconveniently unprovable now, because, of course, it was, after all, pure nonsense] is a bit intellectually "clingy", no?

Just because a higher percentage of people survived some plague infestation if they had the open weeping lesions covered with a poltice made from some pounded weeds mixed with horse urine does not count as well-done science, though it was the result of some observation and trial and error. As a result of such unorganized and anecdotal methods, a lot of people died. You no doubt have a few medical/health issues if you are over 40 yrd old; most of us "oldsters" do. We all utilize modern scientific discoveries to maintain ourselves. We wouldn't even be alive if it hadn't been for the scientific method of discovery you are so critical of.

Darwin's type of thinking, specifically. You obviously hate him simply because he challenges, so effectively, one of the basics of Christianity, i.e.: Genesis. You've been told to hate him. Others have realized the danger in his concept, and they give you all the mis-information and attack-words you need to perpetrate ignorance. You don't question them and look into it yourself, as I and all other scientists have done. His concept, now proven and in action within even your body with every single cellular replication, is precisely how the massive diversity on this planet came to be. Noah cannot have done it all with a leaky barge; that's outrageous and silly.

Modern processes have allowed us to focus in on any specific problem and provide a subsequent focused solution.

Without this, we'd still be making those poltices, with the same "approximate" results. And a lot of consequential deaths you'd probably gloss over.

Oh, and BTW, the mud hut dwellers did not have HD TV nor electricity nor cell phones nor whatever sort of car you or your family use. So your idea of past cultures always having vastly superior technology is a bit biased and not well thought out. If I shut off modern science's benefits to you personally, you'd still have to go find a nice dry cave to live in. Of course, you could make weed-urine poltices to your heart's content....

You cannot simply and conveniently differentiate, or split, between the monumental good that science has afforded you and it's efforts [which you despise and criticize] to understand the larger world and universe around us all. It stinks of bias, frantic mysticism and closed-mindedness.

Meantime, back at the Ark, they are still trying to load all 600+ Million animals into those cosy surrounds....

You know, YSM, my point all along, absent the combative tones that I generate when confronted with people directly insulting my profession (science) and thus my many objective and honest friends, is simply that a purely literal interpretation of the biblical stories is, frankly, not likely what it's authors ever intended.

Just as a modern children's fairy tale about three bears living in a cosy cottage, eating oatmeal they cooked on their stove, etc. etc. is not meant to be taken per se. Right? I mean, right?

I hope you agree that everything written in books, whether they be childrens' bedtime stories, the bible (with it's dozens of completely different versions, BTW) or the 2009 edition of a University Biology text, are all inerrant. At least the bio-text relies on extensive proofs, re-proofs and peer-review, the means by which each and every discovery being available to anyone. Not so your literalist versions.

Not even an indecipherable wall of biblical quotes can make that so. Sorry.

Last edited by rifleman; 09-28-2009 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: typoz

Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
YSM, I do not refer to the ancient uses of herbs as antibiotics. As you must surely know from your knowledge of world history, many herbal remedies were used for millenia. Hardly the focused and productive methods now used to track down antibiotics specific to a unique biological threat, wouldn't you agree? After all, back in the Dark Ages you lovingly cherish, they didn't even know about bacteria. They thought the world was made of earth, fire, water and what was it? Phlogiston? If it burned, it had phlogiston in it. Right......
Would you like to shorten that tome to an answerable paragraph or two? It is just your rambling personal opinions, offered without proofs, that you are spouting.
Ancient China had pennicillin, as other ancient civilizations did. Noah taught all the remedies for all the diseases to his children. After Babel, the language was divided, tribes scattered, and information lost, regained, and lost and regained and so on and so forth, in cycles of great civilizations rising to hieghts of glory, and falling again; but the highest, post flood, was Babylon, under Nebuchadnezzar.
-and the practicing Jews never had the plagues that other nations had, in any dark ages, because the laws of cleanliness and quarantines, followed, kept one free of plagues.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Oh I explained it......
The same explanation for the "uncaused first caused" works, whether you are talking about a universe withthout a God or God himself.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:53 PM

689 posts, read 549,438 times
Noah's story says that, humans' understanding of catastrophe is limited, for the fact that catastrophe experienced by the current human beings is virtually ZERO.

Yet humans think that they understand all about catastrophe in the universe to conclude that, "Oh, that's impossible".

Spiritually, Noah's story says that a spiritual ark is under the building that human minority (Christians as Noah's family) will be carried away from being destroyed by the second coming of our Lord.

Prophecy prophecy.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
Noah's story says that, humans' understanding of catastrophe is limited, for the fact that catastrophe experienced by the current human beings is virtually ZERO.

Yet humans think that they understand all about catastrophe in the universe to conclude that, "Oh, that's impossible".

Spiritually, Noah's story says that a spiritual ark is under the building that human minority (Christians as Noah's family) will be carried away from being destroyed by the second coming of our Lord.

Prophecy prophecy.
Illusions, delusions "ectually" ol chap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality