Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:12 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,652,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I know Gandhi (often misspelled 'Ghandi') had specific religious origins and humanitarian actions, and (I might add) as all other men he was by no means perfect. You are still seeing the world through a religious paradigm though.
I don't feel polluted at the term "Spirit of Christ". I just thought it was not appropriate to link Gandhi (thanks for correction on spelling) to Christianity as he didn't believe in Christianity per se nor was he driven to conduct altruistic work because of this spirit. If my memory serves me correctly, Gandhi didn't follow any religious beliefs when he was doing what he did.

As for the religious paradigm bit, my religious beliefs didn't play into my previous post as it was inaccurate that you implied Gandhi did what he did because spiritual presences possessed him. Of course, I could go into religion and say that all people who are a humanitarian followed the Will of the Buddha, despite those people not following the Buddhist path

May Buddha be with you (Spock sign)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,637,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
I don't feel polluted at the term "Spirit of Christ". I just thought it was not appropriate to link Gandhi (thanks for correction on spelling) to Christianity as he didn't believe in Christianity per se nor was he driven to conduct altruistic work because of this spirit. If my memory serves me correctly, Gandhi didn't follow any religious beliefs when he was doing what he did.

As for the religious paradigm bit, my religious beliefs didn't play into my previous post as it was inaccurate that you implied Gandhi did what he did because spiritual presences possessed him. Of course, I could go into religion and say that all people who are a humanitarian followed the Will of the Buddha, despite those people not following the Buddhist path

May Buddha be with you (Spock sign)
LoL - I went back and totally edited my post once I realized I misread your entire intent (but I wasn't fast enough)! I am used to defending against Christian fundamentalist disgust with my openness. I would be happy to discuss the other angle you are coming from...

In my edited version I stated that I thought you may be seeing the world through a religious vs. atheistic viewpoint which I believe is a cause for a lot of misunderstanding. I also linked some atheists with "The Spirit of Christ" which possibly in your mind is an attempt to connect them to a religious figure, is that correct?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
LoL - I went back and totally edited my post once I realized I misread your entire intent (but I wasn't fast enough)! I am used to defending against Christian fundamentalist disgust with my openness. I would be happy to discuss the other angle you are coming from...

In my edited version I stated that I thought you may be seeing the world through a religious vs. atheistic viewpoint which I believe is a cause for a lot of misunderstanding. I also linked some atheists with "The Spirit of Christ" which possibly in your mind is an attempt to connect them to a religious figure, is that correct?
Yes, that is correct on the linkage part. I just thought that the information was incorrect and that was that. Gandhi did read up on other religions, but in the end, he acted upon his own altruism and was not influenced by any religion specifically. Misinformation really

Also, I'm not too keen on religious debates as long as religion is not crammed down my throat

Old 10-03-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Also, I'm not too keen on religious debates as long as religion is not crammed down my throat
"not too keen on religious debates as long as religion is not crammed down my throat" ??? So you ARE keen if it IS crammed down your throat? Are you sure this is what you meant to say????

BTW - I am definitely not linking Gandhi or anyone else with any religion outside their own. I am speaking of a non-religious reality of conscience and using a term which most connect to a religion (ie: I understand the reason you think it's misinformation).

I'm a bit different - hang around and you'll get used to my left field approach to almost everything. I love all people and love to hear your ideas and disagreements - that's how we grow and learn as people. Thank you!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
"not too keen on religious debates as long as religion is not crammed down my throat" ??? So you ARE keen if it IS crammed down your throat? Are you sure this is what you meant to say????
Yes, you read right. I will debate if it does get crammed down my throat. Of course, every time I do debate, my opponents end up resorting to language, so I think I'm doing a good job holding my own while making another person feel inferior

As for the misinformation part, yes, it was your bad. But I forgive you

Old 10-03-2009, 05:15 AM

Old 10-03-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, you read right. I will debate if it does get crammed down my throat. Of course, every time I do debate, my opponents end up resorting to language, so I think I'm doing a good job holding my own while making another person feel inferior

As for the misinformation part, yes, it was your bad. But I forgive you
haha

Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,908,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
OR......perhaps they just prefer methods of birth control.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,538,227 times
original op and where it may be "a bit flawed"?

Poverty Facts and Stats — Global Issues

good morning, everyone. by the time everyone's done joking around ....
guess we can only cover our own helplessness with a wealth of sarcasm.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
original op and where it may be "a bit flawed"?

Poverty Facts and Stats — Global Issues

good morning, everyone. by the time everyone's done joking around ....
guess we can only cover our own helplessness with a wealth of sarcasm.
Well, we're not as helpless (AISI) as we are ineffective and somewhat divided. Joking around is a good pain killer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality