Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnotquiteallknowingkid View Post
I've noticed that my bedroom door only closes itself when my window is open.. I've ever had a door that was completely closed open itself, that would definitely freak me out. But in my case, i can safely say it's just the wind or like someone else said "a change in air pressure".
Exactly. It doesn't have to be a perceivable wind to move the door. Just having a temperature differential, ie one room cooler or warmer than the area on the other side of the door, could cause a pressure difference great enough to move the door.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I've experienced a similar occurrence several times, even when I thought the door was latched. I've found that it can sound like a door has latched when it's only partially latched. It depends on the door and lockset, but it's not impossible at all. My bedroom door was like that in my childhood home. In my first apartment one of the bathroom doors would do it.

As far as rational thinking goes: My dad relayed this to me years ago. Just a couple of months before I was born (in March), my dad's mother died. Only a couple of days after it happened, he was sitting at the kitchen table reading something, and my mom was vacuuming nearby in the bedrooms and the hall. She had the hall door closed so as to disturb his reading as little as possible. At some point, he felt a very cold breeze envelope him for a second or two, and then it vanished. This happened several more times in a fairly frequent pattern, and he started to become frightened because he had always heard that a cold wind sensation indoors may be a ghost. And considering his mother had just died, this was the first thing that came to his mind. But before long he figured out what it really was. When my mom would get to a certain point in the hall with the vacuum, that's when the wind would come around him. There was obviously some sort of pressure change in the hallway, and the door being closed probably increased the velocity as the air was pulled under the door. My dad was sitting at a corner of the kitchen table closest to the hall door. But why was the air so cold? They didn't have central heat back then, so the house would have pockets of cooler air in certain spots. The area near the window on the other end of the room was fairly chilly, but my dad wouldn't have noticed this because next to him was a space heater.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM

430 posts, read 583,298 times
I'd like to run your posts through the universal translator of your choice, tgnostic. Please tell me which one you used to get to this in the first place, because for the life of me, I don't get your posts. Anyone else know the Secret Decoder ring password?

As to the acceptance of QualiSoup's excellent videos by this audience, they do surpass anyone's posts here as sufficiently short and effective. His 8 - 10 minute summaries of Intelligent Design's obvious flaws, of Evolution and Critical Thinking, punch such a magnum-sized hole in the tired old presentations of theists that it's amazing there's anything left of the target to shoot at.

I like the idea, AEREQUIPA, of just posting the appropriate QS retort to any of the future troll-post threads by ardent Christians. Will C-D accept that? It surely cuts to the chase.

But perhaps an inquisitive thread asking any academic, open-mined, scholarly Christian to address one or some of QS's points would be in order.

Are there any Christians willing to show us and QS where he's so wrong?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've experienced a similar occurrence several times, even when I thought the door was latched. I've found that it can sound like a door has latched when it's only partially latched. It depends on the door and lockset, but it's not impossible at all. My bedroom door was like that in my childhood home. In my first apartment one of the bathroom doors would do it.

As far as rational thinking goes: My dad relayed this to me years ago. Just a couple of months before I was born (in March), my dad's mother died. Only a couple of days after it happened, he was sitting at the kitchen table reading something, and my mom was vacuuming nearby in the bedrooms and the hall. She had the hall door closed so as to disturb his reading as little as possible. At some point, he felt a very cold breeze envelope him for a second or two, and then it vanished. This happened several more times in a fairly frequent pattern, and he started to become frightened because he had always heard that a cold wind sensation indoors may be a ghost. And considering his mother had just died, this was the first thing that came to his mind. But before long he figured out what it really was. When my mom would get to a certain point in the hall with the vacuum, that's when the wind would come around him. There was obviously some sort of pressure change in the hallway, and the door being closed probably increased the velocity as the air was pulled under the door. My dad was sitting at a corner of the kitchen table closest to the hall door. But why was the air so cold? They didn't have central heat back then, so the house would have pockets of cooler air in certain spots. The area near the window on the other end of the room was fairly chilly, but my dad wouldn't have noticed this because next to him was a space heater.
Honest analysis wins again!

I have some members of my wife's family, all raised as devout Roman Catholics, who have long claimed there are ghosts in their old house. (Why do they always have to be old, BTW?). Anyhow, I was questioning the wife after dinner one night, she who is formally educated with a Master's in Philosophy, and she allowed, finally, that anything that anyone in the family there sees as even slightly, maybe, potentially "Ghost Story Material" is mentioned at dinner, and becomes the genesis of much ongoing embellishment over it's subsequent retelling. With the tacit approval of all at that table, in front of dinner guests, etc.

It's become a bit of a collective family competition, and such stories arise like a Phoenix about every six or so months. Then, everyone knows to give each new story some time to catch on, be embellished and develop a life of it's own.

Eventually, there's an entire Fairy-Tale book of such stories. "Mom, tell our guest the one about you seeing old uncle Al wandering the halls one night, and walking through the glass patio door and then across the swimming pool water!" "Oh yes, mommy! do tell us all that one!"

So, given that they WANT to believe, and love their audience's hand-clapping responses, and also love to add to the overall story collection, I don't see them ever taking the skeptics' approach. That should be the first approach on any unlikely and improbable story to begin with. Not so here; that approach is in fact spurned right off the bat, in favor of embellishment and instant acceptance. Thus, the house in question is obviously "haunted".

OOooohhhwwwweeeewwwOOoooooowwww....

I wonder if they'll make that a highlight on the Realtor's handout sheet when they want to make $250+k capital gain when they sell it?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I can admit that mysterious happenings can be more fun when they're believed to be a ghost. But I can't make myself do that anymore! I now look back at several strange occurrences from my childhood and teenage years that at the time I thought might be ghosts, spirits, or some other supernatural thing, and it's actually fairly easy to come to simple, logical, physical conclusions for each occurrence. It wouldn't make much of a scary story though.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 AM

Default Believe or go to hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I now look back at several strange occurrences from my childhood and teenage years that at the time I thought might be ghosts, spirits, or some other supernatural thing, and it's actually fairly easy to come to simple, logical, physical conclusions for each occurrence. It wouldn't make much of a scary story though.
Nor one that supports a religious perspective. By comparison, the religious tend to group these various stories, exaggerate and glorify them, and embellish until it's obviously the work of the devil, of a Satanic group or of angels.

When investigated, all of these events always turn out to be explainable, or of "unknown etiology", worthy of further research should they ever happen again. Which of course they never do.

What escapes Christian apologists is that normal claims rarely need extreme verification, if any at all. ["I believe that water flows downhill"]

Unusual claims require a higher level of evidence and proof. ["I believe that water flows downhill, but on occasion, it can flow uphill"]

Extra-ordinary claims, those that require supernatural or implausible components, demand extraordinary evidence and usually, the ability to reproduce. ["I believe that water can turn to ice when poured into a hot frying pan, but only in the presence of a priest"].

Loud claims that the skeptical just "don't want to believe" are but a smoke screen, an attempt to get agreement through intimidation, which is a common strategy in religions, and quite effective on those who are easily intimidated.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,173 times
I saw doors open by themselves twice in my life that I can remember. The first time, I was a teenager, home alone. I was feeling weird so I went to my parents' bedroom to watch tv. I felt like the door could open by itself so I shut it, and I made sure I closed it all the way shut, and latched. I heard some noises in the hall like someone was coming to the door, and it opened by itself, almost all the way. I was so scared I went outside in the dark to wait for someone to come home. The second time, I was in my 20s, on my own in my first place. I shut the lights to go to bed, and I felt strange, so I shut the door all the way, making sure it was latched. Lo and behold that freakin door opened too. Occasionally I would wake up to a creak and look up to see the door open. It was like something was messing with me. I finally decided I was done being scared and in my mind made it go away. Maybe I am just crazy?!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Door opens and then closes by itself

sounds like you had an invisible breeze just happened to blow by

Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 AM

460 posts, read 592,827 times
Two houses before the house I currently live in, I would have to state that there was something--actually two somethings--that I can only categorize as being ghosts--living with us.

It was not only my wife and I who saw, felt, or experienced such "odd" things going on, but guests who would stay with us from time-to-time.

Now, for me, having grown up with "ghosts" since I can remember, having "ghosts" around is as natural--maybe more so, sometimes--than having living people around.

But for my wife, such unusual behavior was--well, to less prosaic--unusual. After the first few initial encounters, I taught her to get used to whatever she was seeing and feeling.

Both of us saw legs of the "male" entity from time to time. The "child" entity liked to poke me every now and then. I always took the activity as "I am bored and would like some attention." Whenever I got poked, I would say "Hello." And the poking would stop.

Visitors would accuse my wife and I of whispering in this one hallway between the guest rooms. Nope. Not us. But apparently this was a favorite meeting place for the adult to have words with the child (speaking of the ghosts, of course).

And this is just one location.

I could speak of the university, especially of the auditorium, where one partiuclar "spirit" or "ghost" has been seen or encountered by literally hundreds of students and faculty over the past twenty years.

It's kind of fun, actually--for me, that is. When I speak of all the encounters I have had around the world with different spirits, other folks kind of shiver and hope to "heaven" that they never experience anything like that. Even when I assure them that "spooks," "spirits," and "ghosts" have no "power" over the living--unless the living give them the power by being afraid in the first place--and such encounters should be enjoyed as much as one's favorite reading and viewing pasttime.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
The other night, I was laying in my bed watching TV and then my bedroom door opened and then closed. There was no one in the house, and my pets were in my room with me, my wife was in the shower.

It was really odd, and it's never happened before. It freaked the heck out of out me, it was like someone was peeking into my bedroom, and I remember, I closed my door all the way because it makes that click sound when you close it.

I told my wife right away and she was in awe, she didn't believe me at first, but she finally did.

There is no explanation for what happened and I believe it might have been a spirit or something doing it.

What do you think?
I'll say....resist the Devil and he will flee! Don't give thought to it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality