Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Wouldn't atheism follow this same line of reasoning?
Isn't atheism a belief system?
No, atheism, apolitical, all such "a" prefixed words denote a complete lack thereof.

Comments equating atheism with a religion is merely a lame attempt to make the athiest believe they are indeed religious, an attempt that fails everytime and only served to lower the person's credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
No, atheism, apolitical, all such "a" prefixed words denote a complete lack thereof.

Comments equating atheism with a religion is merely a lame attempt to make the athiest believe they are indeed religious, an attempt that fails everytime and only served to lower the person's credibility.
I didn't mean it as a religion.
I mean it is a world (or life) view.....believing in random circumstances and luck to get to this stage of developement.
Therefore making it a belief system.
Couldn't one be brainwashed and coerced into being an atheist?
Couldn't one 'convert' to atheism to fit in to a group just to be rebellious of religous parents?
I'm just saying that the post could be true to the opposite point of view.
It could be true when directed to ANY group of people.
Why single out religion with it?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
I didn't mean it as a religion.
I mean it is a world (or life) view.....believing in random circumstances and luck to get to this stage of developement.
Therefore making it a belief system.
Couldn't one be brainwashed and coerced into being an atheist?
Couldn't one 'convert' to atheism to fit in to a group just to be rebellious of religous parents?
I'm just saying that the post could be true to the opposite point of view.
It could be true when directed to ANY group of people.
Why single out religion with it?
Again, Atheism, a compelte and utter lack therof.

The moment one introduces any form of belief into the equation, it ceases to be Atheism.

If one doesn;t belief in gnomes, that doesn't make that a belief system.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
A. What is the "right" reason? I didn't see that in your critique.
I have no problem with a well-adjusted and intelligent person coming to a spiritual conclusion, following it, and having the ability to defend it. I can respect that. I can't respect people who are weak and need something to follow or prideful people who just want something to trumpet. That last statement goes for atheists as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
D. He does exist, has the power to stop, but chooses to give us free will. Therefore, the sufferings of this world are our fault. Just a thought...
He put too great a burden on us by giving us free will. Also, how can a just born child bear fault for anything? There have been instances in which infants have been treated terribly in the history of our species.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
For #1, actually,

Testable means there is a "yes" or "no" answer.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
If God answers your prayer, wouldn't that be a testable evidence? Why read any religious scripture? If what's in it are words of God, wouldn't that be a testable evidence of God? ...
No, it would not be. We have no verifiable evidence that any religious texts are God's word because they were written by men.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't atheism follow this same line of reasoning?
Isn't atheism a belief system?
Good point. Most atheists I see fall victim to the same problems when following and espousing their belief system. They have a narcissistic pride in declaring their beliefs because they believe that they are right and they want the world to know it. That is never a good reason to follow anything.

I think that all belief systems are, in general, for the weak. That's not to say that all people involved in following something are stupid or misguided, but most are.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
your existance is a verifiable physical evidence of a deity.
Actually, no it isn't, it is proof that I exist.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
Quote:
Good point. Most atheists I see fall victim to the same problems when following and espousing their belief system. They have a narcissistic pride in declaring their beliefs because they believe that they are right and they want the world to know it. That is never a good reason to follow anything.
Atheism is is not a "belief system". Do you consider non-belief in leprechauns to be a belief system?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Again, Atheism, a compelte and utter lack therof.

The moment one introduces any form of belief into the equation, it ceases to be Atheism.
Not exactly, I believe I'll have three over easy eggs for breakfast in the morning, this belief does not make me a theist. It is quite possible to eat eggs and not believe in a diety, any diety.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Atheism is is not a "belief system". Do you consider non-belief in leprechauns to be a belief system?
I have seen it go both ways with atheists. Some do not treat their atheism as a belief system. But, a lot of atheists do - they define themselves by what they think and they seek to project that to the world by braying incessantly in a prideful way about how enlightened they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality