Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 PM

102 posts, read 287,885 times

Advertisements

I only wanted to emphasize the reason of the season (when Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.) It's CHRIST that I am celebrating, no one else. Readers can freely project after reading my post. Readers are in control of their reactions be it positive or negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Mod note: This is a simple Christmas thread...if you are offended by Christmas or feel slighted in any way that your "Holiday" is somehow being overlooked, feel free to start your OWN thread on the subject but any more personal attacks or religious debates will be removed. Thank you.
I have to roll my eyes and laugh when christians make the claim that the Christmas holiday is of christian origin and that it is the birthday of their Jesus, but deny any older origins, which really is what some of them here are doing.

I am not offended when someone merely wishes me Merry Christmas.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
No personal attacks were given or intended.....if such were impugned, I apologize.

But Christmas is a religious holiday for more than just Christians. Ramadan and Hanukkah are Holy days for two other faiths that do NOT recognize the birth or divinity of Jesus. Yule is a holiday for Heathens that predates Christianity or Judaism. Pagans have celebrated it since before Stonehenge. It is the winter solstice. It has less to do with the birth of Jesus (and yes, I AM a Christian) than it has to do with ANY other major religion and their faith structure.

Further, as a former Southern Baptist Pastor, I find that deliberately annoying others by "saying it louder" is reprehensible. If I had come across a member of my congregation doing that I would have demanded they cease. It is not a matter of "religious debate" but a matter of courtesy and respect.
This is a flat-out freaking fantastic post. Thank you.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
As an Atheist I am outraged with the HH nonsense. What really ticks me off about it has nothing to do with the holiday, religion, but the out of control Political Correctness, or the more accurate term of Political Cowardice.

To me, the celebration is for the birth of a fictional character, though surely someone was born on that day. But until I retired, it was always worth at least 2 or 3 days off, which is good

Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
As an Atheist I am outraged with the HH nonsense. What really ticks me off about it has nothing to do with the holiday, religion, but the out of control Political Correctness, or the more accurate term of Political Cowardice.
Something on which we can agree, Asheville!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Happy Holidays, to you all.

What ever it is that you enjoy doing that brings you, your family and your friends together in the name of love, happiness and Joy!!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

To me, the celebration is for the birth of a fictional character, though surely someone was born on that day. But until I retired, it was always worth at least 2 or 3 days off, which is good
Good post, Asheville. Personally, I could care less what people call it. How about Merry Feeble-Attempt-to-Boost-Sales season.

Like my mom used to say, it's about family gathering. For us "old people", we hold fond memories of family gatherings, which are even more special for those of us who have lost parents and family members.

We are not exchanging gifts. But I do buy for the grandkids, etc.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoLiza View Post
It's the sweetest sound to hear some salesperson greet me "Merry Christmas" after giving them profits from shopping at their business.
It's more like Merry Spending

I'm sorry, but sales, shopping and profits have nothing to do with Christmas

Anybody remembers Jesus Christ? <not that 300$ baby toy for the manger in the crib>

Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Well, you are.

As a Pagan, I am offended that you Christians took a Pagan holiday and not only turned it into a commercial free-for-all, but also get offended when I resent being wished a "Merry Christmas" as though I am automatically a commercialized Christian.
Just return their greeting with a "Joy-full Solstice". After all, that is what is really being celebrated here.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's not that so much as rejecting being told one has to be PC, that Christmas trees are really 'Holiday trees' or 'Hanukka bushes' or 'Allah plants.' It just doesn't sound right.

::shrug::

Pagans had 'em first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality