Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM

116 posts, read 251,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I guess you don't value your Jewish and other non-Christian clients very much.

its not that i dont value them, i do but i have the right to say Merry Christmas and they have the right to bahumbug me all they want. most of them tell me that they are not Christian but Jewish or non-Christian and they go on. but i live in the small town of Checotah and there are more Christians than there are more denominations. People are free to say whatever they like and thats how it goes. and really im not here to offend anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Honestly, I don't begrudge or criticize anyone for whatever words they use to wish me well. I usually say, "thank you and you too" and no one seems to mind. If I had a boss that said I HAD to say one thing or another, I would not long be an employee........but then I haven't had a job for years and years and even then it was part time.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator89 View Post
its not that i dont value them, i do but i have the right to say Merry Christmas and they have the right to bahumbug me all they want. most of them tell me that they are not Christian but Jewish or non-Christian and they go on. but i live in the small town of Checotah and there are more Christians than there are more denominations. People are free to say whatever they like and thats how it goes. and really im not here to offend anyone
Well, you are.

As a Pagan, I am offended that you Christians took a Pagan holiday and not only turned it into a commercial free-for-all, but also get offended when I resent being wished a "Merry Christmas" as though I am automatically a commercialized Christian.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Having said that, I am seriously annoyed that so many people around me have already put up decorations, including the city, by November 30.

We always used to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to pull everything out. But this year, my FIL threw a tantrum, refused to come for Thanksgiving and hurt our children badly. The week of Thanksgiving is usually filled with the visit from Grandma & Grandpa and lots of stuff like that. This year, we filled the children's days with making our yard look like a winter wonderland.

Only on TV does it take ONE DAY to put up 8,000+ lights, 7 reindeer (we're two short), a handmade sleigh, an elf, multiple snowmen, one santa, inflatables, oversized ornaments, and much, much more!

We only "lit up" to check on our progress though, until Dec 1st. If someone was offended by that then THPLLLT! on them - my children's happiness means more to me than any busybody Grinch!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
Good grief it's just words to wish someone a happy holiday. No one is slighting anyone, no one is forcing anyone to reject their chosen religion or beliefs. Merry Christmas has been articulated for many, many, many years. I'm gonna say it until I am put in the ground, get over it!! A polite thank you is all that is needed or say nothing. I like hearing Merry Christmas and I like to say it, and now that I know it irritates some people I am going to say it louder. There are so many more important issues in this country now why nit pick over the words Merry Christmas.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator89 View Post
i live in the small town of Checotah and there are more Christians than there are more denominations. People are free to say whatever they like and thats how it goes. and really im not here to offend anyone
tator, I can't imagine TOOO many of your customers getting offended by a happy smile and a cheery Christmas wish! But there will always be some folks who thrive on controversy and look for ways to be offended just so they can argue about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Honestly, I don't begrudge or criticize anyone for whatever words they use to wish me well. I usually say, "thank you and you too" and no one seems to mind.
Same here... I don't care HOW the Holiday sentiment is worded as long as it is genuine and comes from a happy heart. Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Christmas, Festivus or Thank God I survived another year... I'd rather enjoy the Love and Joy the season brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoLiza View Post
It's the sweetest sound to hear some salesperson greet me "Merry Christmas" after giving them profits from shopping at their business.
Merry Christmas to you too Liza!! I hope you and your family have a great one. This is your first Christmas in Oklahoma isn't it? We usually wind up doing a little shopping up in Lawton, but we try to make it up on a weekday to avoid SOME of the crowds.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
tator, I can't imagine TOOO many of your customers getting offended by a happy smile and a cheery Christmas wish! But there will always be some folks who thrive on controversy and look for ways to be offended just so they can argue about it.
I am not looking to argue about anything. I was merely pointing out that it is an annoying thing.

Incidentally, if this discussion was reversed and it was the Christian population that was "slighted" there would be an outcry of magnitude

I am always surprised that most people don't *get* it. Not unlike those Rhema students who went to Iraq in an attempt to convert Muslims to Christianity. Oh, the arrogance

Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We always used to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to pull everything out. But this year, my FIL threw a tantrum, refused to come for Thanksgiving and hurt our children badly. The week of Thanksgiving is usually filled with the visit from Grandma & Grandpa and lots of stuff like that. This year, we filled the children's days with making our yard look like a winter wonderland.

Only on TV does it take ONE DAY to put up 8,000+ lights, 7 reindeer (we're two short), a handmade sleigh, an elf, multiple snowmen, one santa, inflatables, oversized ornaments, and much, much more!

We only "lit up" to check on our progress though, until Dec 1st. If someone was offended by that then THPLLLT! on them - my children's happiness means more to me than any busybody Grinch!
There is a difference in getting things out and ready to put up, and actually putting them up. When I was a kid - I know, it was the Dark Ages then - decorations went up the week before, store windows as well. But we got things out and tested lights (this was back in the days of series lights, and just one burned out bulb kept the whoe string from lighting), made plans about what would go where, made lists of who would get what - and those lists changed almost daily, did an incredible amount of baking, and so on. And we spent months - shudders - learnibng parts for the pageant at church, and there was always one kid who'd get stage fright and throw everyone else off.

To me, all the early decorating just makes it commercial rather than what it was intended to be.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I am not looking to argue about anything. I was merely pointing out that it is an annoying thing.

Incidentally, if this discussion was reversed and it was the Christian population that was "slighted" there would be an outcry of magnitude

I am always surprised that most people don't *get* it. Not unlike those Rhema students who went to Iraq in an attempt to convert Muslims to Christianity. Oh, the arrogance
I question your remark about not wanting to argue the point. People do "get it" many, many people be they Christian, Muslim, Jewish whatever race, creed, culture or religion "get it". Look around you, at all the organizations that take on the needs of many people all over the world as well as bring them the word of God. trying to convert has been around for thousand of years. It is ultimately the choice of the receiver as to whether or not they choose to convert to Christianity. Are you aware of the fact that there are a multitude of races that have no concept of religion or have been denied the right to practice either their own religion or another? In ages past Christians have been slighted but have risen above all of this and trudged on to spread the word. We all regardless of faith worship a power greater than ourselves call him Allah, God or whatever you choose. Each in our own way celebrate his birth. I normally don't discuss religion with anyone as I don't discuss politics because neither side wants to give in, I respect your opinion as I ask that you respect mine. Perhaps it does anger you to hear the words Merry Christmas all you have to do is say thank you and walk on no one is asking you at that point to convert just wishing you the very best of a season of giving and worshiping.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I question your remark about not wanting to argue the point.
I do not equate disagreeing with somebody and having a discussion with wanting to argue. Those who cry "argument" are usually the ones who either can't debate or don't want to be confused by the facts.

Quote:
Look around you, at all the organizations that take on the needs of many people all over the world as well as bring them the word of God. trying to convert has been around for thousand of years. It is ultimately the choice of the receiver as to whether or not they choose to convert to Christianity.
You are comparing apples and Chevrolets. Yes, there are many Christian organizations who deal with the needs of people around the world and these dealings usually have strings attached, such as having to have the "word of God" crammed down their throats.

Quote:
Are you aware of the fact that there are a multitude of races that have no concept of religion or have been denied the right to practice either their own religion or another?
I am aware that there are many populations of misc. races who are being denied the right to practice their religion. I cannot tink of any group of people who have no concept of religion, unless you mean that they have no concept of Christianity. And that, in itself, is not the end of the world.
Quote:

In ages past Christians have been slighted but have risen above all of this and trudged on to spread the word.
Yes. And for what reason? Why can't you people just do like the rest of us and worship in your own way in private?

Quote:
We all regardless of faith worship a power greater than ourselves call him Allah, God or whatever you choose. Each in our own way celebrate his birth
Many of us, except for atheists, are aware of something more powerful than us. But this is not necessarily a "him". Not is a "birth" involved. But as you are obviously referring to your Jesus, are you aware that, according to the Bible, he was born in August and that the December date is actually the Pagan Winter Stoltice?

Quote:
I normally don't discuss religion with anyone
Considering how badly informed you are, that is probably a good thing.

Quote:
a season of giving
My season of giving is year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality