Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should everyone live by all of the 10 Commandments?
Yes, people should live by all of the Ten Commandments 40 67.80%
No, some of the Ten Commandments don't need to be followed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,465,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Religion is a reflection of the society that originated it. The purpose? To create and influence a structure for orderly interaction.
I think I can agree with that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,309 times
Would be interesting for those of you who voted not to follow all the Ten Commandments, exactly which one or ones would you say don't apply to life???
The only one I don't follow well is keeping the Sabbath we are always doing something around the house or sometimes having to work, so there is just not much giving God His day!! I did read some where the Sabbath was the only thing Jesus didn't mention in the New Testament of Commandments to keep I may be wrong.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:30 PM

124 posts, read 396,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Would be interesting for those of you who voted not to follow all the Ten Commandments, exactly which one or ones would you say don't apply to life???
The only one I don't follow well is keeping the Sabbath we are always doing something around the house or sometimes having to work, so there is just not much giving God His day!! I did read some where the Sabbath was the only thing Jesus didn't mention in the New Testament of Commandments to keep I may be wrong.
For someone not religious only 6,7,8,and 9 make sense although a large number of Americans violate #7 as a matter of routine. #5 is only for parents that deserve it and I don't understand the relevance of #10 to anything. We all covet things our neighbor has. That is one of the reasons we buy new cars, clothes, appliances, etc. However, I don't know of anyone that coveted the neighbors jackass and purchased one.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,664 times
Quote:
Jesus observed the Sabbath himself, he said to keep the commandments. It is hard when you are not raised that way. There seems to be something you have to do on Saturday.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,036 times
Quote:
I don't really care about 1-4 (No other gods through keeping the sabbath).
5 (honoring parents) is nice, but I do not see this as a moral thing, and not all people are deserving of being honored.
I am ok with 6. Murdering is bad.
7 (adultery) is ok with me, as long as all parties involved agree with it.
8. Theft is ok situationally.
9. False witness is ok situationally.
10. I am perfectly ok with coveting.

So I guess I would keep #6, view 7-9 on a case by case basis, and think that the rest are not really worth the stone it took to carve them.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,581,906 times
Actually, the law was hung upon the stake w/ Christ (or cross, if you prefer). Therefore, we are no longer under obligation to follow it. However, it was replaced by these two laws 'Love Your Neighbor as Yourself' and Love God wit your whole 'mind, heart, soul, and strenth'. Those two laws now encompass everything that was in the ten commandments.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Actually, the law was hung upon the stake w/ Christ (or cross, if you prefer). Therefore, we are no longer under obligation to follow it. However, it was replaced by these two laws 'Love Your Neighbor as Yourself' and Love God wit your whole 'mind, heart, soul, and strenth'. Those two laws now encompass everything that was in the ten commandments.
Why then did Jesus tell us to keep the commandents of the Father?

Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,781,253 times
The commandments are commands and if one is a follower of the One True God one must follow His Commands. Either you follow or you don't.
Matthew 5: 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

MBG

Old 06-10-2007, 05:31 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
The commandments are commands and if one is a follower of the One True God one must follow His Commands. Either you follow or you don't.
How do you reconcile this with the statement that many here have made. Namely, that the OT rules no longer need to be followed, because of the atonement for sins paid for on the cross?

The 10Cs are definitely OT.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,195 times
You can honor an abusive parent, leave report them, then if possible reconcile. Honor is different than loving and tolerating. Anyone keeping the 7th day Sabbath? It's Saturday, not Sunday. You live longer that way. I wouldn't steal if I was starving. I know God has always provided, and always will. Killing is self defense is tricky. You never know what will happen until you're faced with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality