Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should everyone live by all of the 10 Commandments?
Yes, people should live by all of the Ten Commandments 40 67.80%
No, some of the Ten Commandments don't need to be followed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The ten commandments are part of the Judeo-Christian heritage. The last four or so of them form the basis of almost all cultures' code of morality. And I think most Christians would think to some level that they should still be observed (kinda as I suggested above - in a non-legalistic way.)
Wanting the Ten Commandments posted in courthouses suggests that some Christians do see them legalistically.

Why isn't anyone asking that the Beatitudes be posted in courthouses or city halls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,277,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Wanting the Ten Commandments posted in courthouses suggests that some Christians do see them legalistically.

Why isn't anyone asking that the Beatitudes be posted in courthouses or city halls?
That maybe so. I personally wouldn't get worked into a lather about it but I like the idea. I think it bothers Christians too when the ten commandments are removed after having already been posted for decades.

Hey, I'd vote for the beatitudes being posted!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
kaykay wrote:
Quote:
It does, but in the NT as I'm sure you already know, Christians are no longer "under the law."
I had a slam dunk with that question and now you're trying to wiggle out of it. That's ok, I know how these things go. However, if you take a point of view that the OT is the part we don't need to pay as much attention to or it's outdated by the NT then why do people make such a fuss about Genesis?

Old 05-25-2007, 04:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,277,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kaykay wrote:

I had a slam dunk with that question and now you're trying to wiggle out of it. That's ok, I know how these things go. However, if you take a point of view that the OT is the part we don't need to pay as much attention to or it's outdated by the NT then why do people make such a fuss about Genesis?

Whew, you get a half-way victory on one thing and then whammo, here comes another one. First of all, I believe Genesis but I don't make a big fuss about it personally. But...I don't think the old testament is "outdated" in the sense that it no longer is true. It either was or it wasn't. The old testament law (which was based on the 10 commandments) or covenant kinda became replaced or as Jesus said "fulfilled" by the new covenant. It's like comparing apples and oranges to compare it to our view of Genesis or other historical books....and if you have further questions...uh...go ask Alpha (He's our old testament/new testament law guy!)

Old 05-25-2007, 04:54 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kaykay wrote:

However, if you take a point of view that the OT is the part we don't need to pay as much attention to or it's outdated by the NT then why do people make such a fuss about Genesis?
I don't feel to OT is outdated. Genesis sets the stage for the entire Bible. It reveals the value and dignity of human beings, the tragedy and consequences of sin and the promise and assurance of salvation.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:00 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't feel to OT is outdated. Genesis sets the stage for the entire Bible. It reveals the value and dignity of human beings, the tragedy and consequences of sin and the promise and assurance of salvation.

OK so should we be murdering homosexuals and practicing slavery? Because the OT condones it.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
OK so should we be murdering homosexuals and practicing slavery? Because the OT condones it.
Of course not! The truth of the Bible transcends time.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM

465 posts, read 2,427,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
First no vote.

Obviously, I see no need to structure my life to follow some bronze age priest's idea of right and wrong.

To sample a few things, our society is built around coveting. Sometimes this leads to bad things, but other times to good.

Adultery is ok if all parties involved agree to it.

Stealing is relative. It is ok to steal when the harm to the property owner is low, and the need great. Look at the 'looters' after hurricane Katrina. Stealing bottled water from a closed Walmart so that they might have a basic necessity of life.

Blasphemy? Give me a break. That is such a non-issue that it is not really worth commenting upon.

Honoring father and mother? This is situational. What if your father is an abusive sexual predator?
This is a sad, but interesting analysis of the Word of God.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I have problems with centralized religion imposing exclusivity upon its flock because in my opinion I think the only reason that exclusivity exists is for the enrichment and benefit of individuals wielding power within the hierarchy of the religion. They want followers b/c it translates into power and money. In order to get them, they deliver threats, if you don't believe me and only me, you will suffer a great turmoil when you die. Oooo. I don't want turmoil. I'll believe you. Or, I don't believe you . . . then that centralized religion imposes that great turmoil during the life of the disbeliever with violence.

I see no purpose for that exclusivity that benefits a supreme being that is beyond human in characteristics. I think when we look at the kind of people we would like to be, a lot of these centralized religions' deities (I'd say almost all of them) don't share the high level of traits that we shoot for. They're jealous, power hungry, they suffer from needs and wants, there are conditions for their favor and they react instead of acting unconditionally. Most of these religions are ancient, and it just seems like the deities emerged as a reflection of man's understanding of the world and society at the time. In early civilizations, leaders were anointed or conquered -- kings, emperors, etc. Over time, society evolved where leaders emerged peacefully. Yet most religions still seem to preserve that sort of ancient concept of a leader -- one who is ultracompetitive and threatened, one who wields his status with force and demands exclusive obedience.

I've concluded I can't have faith in religions who are defined by a centralized hierarchy and have histories where that hierarchy has acted aggregiously in the name of that religion. If the religion is first, if man's view of God/whomever is first, then your fellow man is not, and that is a threat to the good part of our humanity. See the Crusades, Genghis Khan, wars and violent conversions as examples. In each instance, religion blinded people from their humanity. Perhaps not because of the religion itself, but the centralized hierarchy, which, unfortunately is inextricable from most religions.

The rules that aren't tied to the specific religion, those rules are very important, as evidenced by the fact that most religions share them. Which brings me to what I hope is my final point. I think there's something to be said for the shared values that arise independently around the world. And it's incredibly myopic imo to believe that only one of those religions has exclusive access to the "path." Maybe myopic is too strong, but I don't see the logic in it.

And one thing I do believe in, is that in the end, the answers to how this all turns out will not conflict with certain basic rational truths as well as the laws of physics. I don't believe that, in the end, science and spirituality will conflict, but they will go hand in hand. It may be beyond our understanding (which is distinct from saying that it directly conflicts with our understanding), just like UV rays are beyond our visible spectrum. Our eyes will never be able to see UV rays for what they are, just like we probably will never be able to fully understand the laws of how spirituality works. If that makes any sense...
Your focus is all wrong. Stop looking at man, and channel your thoughts toward God. He is the only infallible being. One thing we know for sure is that man can change; but God never changes. The leaders of the church should be an example... but when this fails, God is always constant, and the best example you'll ever know. They will answer to God one day for their actions, but you leave that to Him. The people of the church aren't perfect, but the message of God is. Don't let those who have allowed evil to control them, rob you of a wonderful experience with God. Life is hard. Life is unfair. Whether you're on the side of God, or not on the side of God, this remains true. But at least I know on the side of God, I have a refuge, which the devil will never promise or provide.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'd like to add to MG's question.

Which day is the sabbath? Saturday or Sunday?
Saturday is the Sabbath. You don't need to be a theology major to know this. Go to the library and research the history of the Sabbath, you will be amazed. No where does the Bible support Sunday worship. It's strictly tradition. Thank you Catholicism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality