Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should everyone live by all of the 10 Commandments?
Yes, people should live by all of the Ten Commandments 40 67.80%
No, some of the Ten Commandments don't need to be followed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
NVX, should you ever decide to change sides just remember...God is not a democracy, and was not voted into office. In that respect does not care about your thoughts on his decisions. Kinda like a good parent, he tells you what is good for you and you don't talk back.
Well you can try, but that usally lands you in the belly of a whale, with all kinds of nasty things, praying that God will get you out of the mess you made when if you would have listenen to him in the first place, you wouldnt be there. Yes, I speak from experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
the first 5 have NOTHING to do with morals

Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
NVX, should you ever decide to change sides
Decide? You make it sound like faith is no different than choosing which horse to bet on. I can't force myself to believe something that is unbelievable. I can no more choose to believe in God than I can choose to believe Jagermeister is the smoothest thing since satin sheets.
Quote:
just remember...God is not a democracy, and was not voted into office.
*scratches head*

Of course God is not a democracy; he's a deity. Democracies involve people, and are deliniated in some way.
Quote:
In that respect does not care about your thoughts on his decisions. Kinda like a good parent, he tells you what is good for you and you don't talk back.
Oooooooooohhhhh...I'm scared now...

*cowers in fear*

Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Well you can try, but that usally lands you in the belly of a whale, with all kinds of nasty things, praying that God will get you out of the mess you made when if you would have listenen to him in the first place, you wouldnt be there. Yes, I speak from experience
Or you can undo your own mess. Yes, I speak from experience as well.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
To all of those who said we should follow all of the ten commandments I have a question. It clearly says that on the sabbath no one should be permitted to work. Do you think that all of the shopping malls, restaurants, gas stations and even hospitals and police stations should be closed on that day because all of the people employed at these various places are violating one of the Ten Commandments? I don't think there's any wiggle room on this question. The language and intention is very clear, working on the sabbath breaks a commandment.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
To all of those who said we should follow all of the ten commandments I have a question. It clearly says that on the sabbath no one should be permitted to work. Do you think that all of the shopping malls, restaurants, gas stations and even hospitals and police stations should be closed on that day because all of the people employed at these various places are violating one of the Ten Commandments? I don't think there's any wiggle room on this question. The language and intention is very clear, working on the sabbath breaks a commandment.
I'd like to add to MG's question.

Which day is the sabbath? Saturday or Sunday?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Default To sabbath or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It does, but in the NT as I'm sure you already know, Christians are no longer "under the law." However, I think observing the spirit of that law is desirable- one day in 7 as essentially a day of rest and no, I don't think it has to be a certain day of the week or the same day for everybody. Others may see this differently but this is how I see it. After all, even under the law, Jesus said the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It does, but in the NT as I'm sure you already know, Christians are no longer "under the law."
Then why do so many Christians insist on displaying the Ten Commandments on public property?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:51 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Then why do so many Christians insist on displaying the Ten Commandments on public property?
The ten commandments are part of the Judeo-Christian heritage. The last four or so of them form the basis of almost all cultures' code of morality. And I think most Christians would think to some level that they should still be observed (kinda as I suggested above - in a non-legalistic way.)

Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The ten commandments are part of the Judeo-Christian heritage. The last four or so of them form the basis of almost all cultures' code of morality. And I think most Christians would think to some level that they should still be observed (kinda as I suggested above - in a non-legalistic way.)
FYI, the "ten commandments" monuments that justice Moore made the papers for defending a few years ago where gifts from the FOE and Paramount Studios to help promote the Charlton Heston movie "The Ten Commandments".

How about that.... fighting over a piece of Swag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality