Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
But Montanaguy how is that any more stupid than any other religion with mysterious trappings or funny clothes or odd adherents? I mean really, take a look at mormonism for instance with ots magic underwear and secret handshakes. Or the Catholic church with their mysterious capital city and strange rituals. There is silly strangeness in all of them, and most others too.
He makes a good point, MontanaGuy. Religions do have some pretty stupid rituals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
He makes a good point, MontanaGuy. Religions do have some pretty stupid rituals.
Yes, religions take themselves very seriously, have plenty of bizarre rituals, and have no shortage of scary stuff.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Balvenie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
But Montanaguy how is that any more stupid than any other religion with mysterious trappings or funny clothes or odd adherents? I mean really, take a look at mormonism for instance with ots magic underwear and secret handshakes. Or the Catholic church with their mysterious capital city and strange rituals. There is silly strangeness in all of them, and most others too.
I agree with Troop and Visvaldis that you do make a good point. Religions do have a flair for the dramatic effects and the Catholics are probably better at it than the rest of them. It's just that satanism comes across to me as being very juvenile and lacking any true conviction while even though I'm an atheist I recognize that there are millions of religious people who take their faith very seriously and it's a major influence in their lives. Satanism strikes me as play acting and lacking any substance.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Balvenie wrote:

I agree with Troop and Visvaldis that you do make a good point. Religions do have a flair for the dramatic effects and the Catholics are probably better at it than the rest of them. It's just that satanism comes across to me as being very juvenile and lacking any true conviction while even though I'm an atheist I recognize that there are millions of religious people who take their faith very seriously and it's a major influence in their lives. Satanism strikes me as play acting and lacking any substance.
Good point.
I don't take Satanist cults seriously. Deep down inside I doubt if they take themselves seriously either. It could be the actor in each human that needs expression, or the fascination of having an exclusive group with rituals, clothing, etc.
It wasn't too long ago I read in a newspaper an account of a couple, formerly Catholics, that attended church services and were sought to be removed by court order. The couple, having rejected religion continued to attend merely because they liked the rituals. We have devout followers of Star Trek, fanatical supporters of sport teams and athletes, people obsessed with certain celebrities (to the point of stalking), etc. But I guess it's better than spending evenings on the sofa watching Judge Judy.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Good point.
I don't take Satanist cults seriously. Deep down inside I doubt if they take themselves seriously either. It could be the actor in each human that needs expression, or the fascination of having an exclusive group with rituals, clothing, etc.
It wasn't too long ago I read in a newspaper an account of a couple, formerly Catholics, that attended church services and were sought to be removed by court order. The couple, having rejected religion continued to attend merely because they liked the rituals. We have devout followers of Star Trek, fanatical supporters of sport teams and athletes, people obsessed with certain celebrities (to the point of stalking), etc. But I guess it's better than spending evenings on the sofa watching Judge Judy.
I think you're right about them not taking themselves very seriously. It is so much theater and I think a lot of it for the express purpose of upsetting Christians. I think the "Vampire" people take themselves more seriously than Satanists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality