Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM

310 posts, read 589,639 times

Advertisements

Why is the subject of satanism so hushed up here? From what I know of them, they're pretty much like anyone else. They love their kids and they pay their taxes and are willing to follow the laws of the land, so why the urge to act as if they don't exist? Satanism is an officially recognized religion in the USA.

They don't sacrifice babies and most of 'em don't believe in Satan as being a real entity...more like an attitude toward life. Where's the harm in having an intelligent discussion about them here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
All you said is true, especially as the official "Church of Satan" and I would think ad hoc Satanists are concerned (by that I mean self-styled LaVeyan Satanists). Of course there are always the teen-angst types who love all the spooky trappings and may actually believe in the devil, but that, of course makes them believers in god by proxy doesn't it? Then there are always the Temple of Set people who are somewhere between the LaVeyans and the teen-angst people.

I think the problem with Satanism in America (LaVeyan, that is) and people's unwillingness to discuss it or avoid it is because of perceptions. Some of those perceptions are due to media, some by different Christian churches and some by Satanists themselves. Let's face it, in the US, there is a Christian influence, if not down right tradition. It doesn't mean that all people are practicing Christians, but they have had a heavy dose of it at one time or another. That is always in our minds whether we want it or not. Movies that feature Satanists are spooky...everytime. I can't think of a single movie that had a guy who was, say, an accountant, went home, threw the football with his kid, kissed his wife and just happened to be a Satanist, but didn't practice "black arts". Ya know?

Satanism has a certain stigma to it, even among those who don't believe in such a thing as Satan or god. As I mention earlier, perceptions are at the heart of it. Many of still remember the 1980s and the "Satanic Ritual Abuse" scare, which was later debunked of course. Despite the FBI making it clear that no such thing ever happened, that is still in people's minds. The see a person who is a Satanist as being some weirdo miscreant who is sacrificing puppies and kittens, drinking blood and deflowing virgins all in the name of the Dark Lord (and I don't mean Darth Vader). Many Christian churches made a big public spectacle of the whole thing and still talk about it today, convinced of a huge cover-up by the govenrment to protect the vast number of imagined Satanic covens out there, because after all the government is controlled by 33rd degree Masons, the Illmuniati and the Trilateral Commision, which are all satanists in their eyes.

Many Satanists themselves do not help themselves because many of them like to wear the black clothes and pentagrams and all the silver jewelry and say spooky things. Of course, 90% of all that is intended to annoy and upset Christians, but when people who have no idea what the CoS is all about, they revert to media and church imagery of them. The teen-angst guys don't help either.

What I have always wondered about Satanists is if they are just atheists (which I believe them when they say that BTW), other than the need to irritate Christians, why all the symbolism, bibles, rituals and theater?

Just curious.

Last edited by Fullback32; 02-03-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Isn't it obvious? Would you really expect to be trusted as someone who embraces the the cultural symbol of evil as their religion?

I don't believe in christianity, but at least christianity endorses a behavioral code that isn't contrary to a polite society, despite the dogma.

But Satanism says Moderator cut: deleted reference to such standards and be proud of the fact. It's the same reason I wouldn't trust a pure anarchist.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-03-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Agreed. Those "Satanists" who don't actually worship Satan need to pick a different label. It's too much to expect offended religious people to dig deeper.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Some good points so far. Moderator cut: deleted due to comment pertaining to moderator actions Fullback as far as the funny clothes go, that's hardly the sole purview of satanists. Catholics, Mormons, Jews, Muslims, and many christian sects all wear funny clothes too.

Chango the screw it mentality doesn't really seem to be quite accurate...my understanding is that it's more of a do what you like but temper it with common sense and logic thrown in.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-03-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
most of 'em don't believe in Satan as being a real entity...more like an attitude toward life.

Well, that makes a lot of sense since they're "Satanist."

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Some good points so far. Moderator cut: orphaned Fullback as far as the funny clothes go, that's hardly the sole purview of satanists. Catholics, Mormons, Jews, Muslims, and many christian sects all wear funny clothes too.

Chango the screw it mentality doesn't really seem to be quite accurate...my understanding is that it's more of a do what you like but temper it with common sense and logic thrown in.
Oh, very true about the clothes! And certainly all Satanists do not wear things that say very loudly, "Look at me I'm a Satanist." But for those that do, this goes back to the perceptions I talked about. If we see people dressed like that, we can't help but think of the movies and the whole spooky concept comes back to us. When we see a Jewish person wearing a Yamulka, we don't think...Ooooo, spooky and scary.

As to what you said to Chango, that's how I understand it too. Because "stupidity" is one of the Satanic sins, to act in an anarchist manner would be counter to LaVeyan principles.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-03-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I think satanism is stupid and is usually just an excuse by someone who finds the concept to be intriguing because they get to wear a costume and act spooky. In other words, I don't see it as a serious subject worthy of much discussion. I've seen some of the nitwit satanists on tv with their black outfits and candles burning in the background on documentaries in which they describe their supposedly mysterious lifestyle. Of course they never laugh about anything or even smile very much because they're trying to play the role of someone who wields unseen powers and other scary stuff.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
Every time I hear (or read) LaVey I keep picturing a 2 year old having a tantrum, stamping his feet saying "no! no! no!" I guess it's because most of the Satanists I know in real life are just rebelling against religion and trying for a bit of shock value. I don't know any Luciferians (those that think Satan is real), but I expect I would picture them the same way, except that they are also Christians.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM

But Montanaguy how is that any more stupid than any other religion with mysterious trappings or funny clothes or odd adherents? I mean really, take a look at mormonism for instance with ots magic underwear and secret handshakes. Or the Catholic church with their mysterious capital city and strange rituals. There is silly strangeness in all of them, and most others too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality