Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,202,188 times

Advertisements

Luddites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,402,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I have no respect for any group that goes around and tries to talk people out of their beliefs.
Many consider them to be a cult, based on my experiences with them I think they have a valid point about JWs being a cult.
They are cults. Do you know why? Because they do not believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. They also do not believe that Jesus was THE God but a God. While they believe in His pre-existence, they believe that He was originally the archangel Michael. They also deny his physical resurrection and as well as the Christian cross believing that Jesus died on a stake. They do not believe in the immortality of the soul or hellfire which they believe to be unscriptural teachings. They also teach that only the 144,000 will go to heaven and live with Christ and reign over the universe. Plus their bible, New World Translations of the Holy Scriptures are not the bibles like the most popular bibles, King James Version, New King James Version, American Standard Version, New American Standard Bible, English Standard Version, New International Version (NIV), New Living Translation, Good News Bible, or whatever. Plus they also refer to their worship assemblies as "Kingdom Halls" rather than "church". They also do not give allegiance to the flag or sing patriotoic songs or serve in the military. They also do not celebrate Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, birthdays, and other customs and holidays believing to be pagan. They also refuse blood transfusions.

Perhaps they are best known for door-to-door preaching. I mean, sure they are nice people but I am getting tired of them coming to my door all the time. When I am alone and I see a Jehovah Witness at my door, I send him/her away politely without being rude.

Jehovah's Witnesses are one of names of cults up there along with Mormons, Christadelphians, and even Christian Scientists.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,355,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
My impression of the JW's that come to my door are that they are unfailingly polite and easily muddled by facts, logic, and references to Bible passages that are not in conformity with their indoctrination.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,926,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
My impression of the JW's that come to my door are that they are unfailingly polite and easily muddled by facts, logic, and references to Bible passages that are not in conformity with their indoctrination.

If you knew the true teachings of Jesus, you would know the JW,s are correct. Everyone who loves Jesus already knows what he taught and applied every teaching in their daily lives.
Like this ultra important truth
Matthew 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking- FIRST- the kingdom and his( YHWH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you.( sustenance, covering, spirituality)
Once that is accomplished 24/7,365 then one can accomplish this-John 4:22-24

Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
They are cults. Do you know why? Because they do not believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. They also do not believe that Jesus was THE God but a God. While they believe in His pre-existence, they believe that He was originally the archangel Michael. They also deny his physical resurrection and as well as the Christian cross believing that Jesus died on a stake. They do not believe in the immortality of the soul or hellfire which they believe to be unscriptural teachings. They also teach that only the 144,000 will go to heaven and live with Christ and reign over the universe. Plus their bible, New World Translations of the Holy Scriptures are not the bibles like the most popular bibles, King James Version, New King James Version, American Standard Version, New American Standard Bible, English Standard Version, New International Version (NIV), New Living Translation, Good News Bible, or whatever. Plus they also refer to their worship assemblies as "Kingdom Halls" rather than "church". They also do not give allegiance to the flag or sing patriotoic songs or serve in the military. They also do not celebrate Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, birthdays, and other customs and holidays believing to be pagan. They also refuse blood transfusions.

Perhaps they are best known for door-to-door preaching. I mean, sure they are nice people but I am getting tired of them coming to my door all the time. When I am alone and I see a Jehovah Witness at my door, I send him/her away politely without being rude.

Jehovah's Witnesses are one of names of cults up there along with Mormons, Christadelphians, and even Christian Scientists.

You wouldn't have written this post if you actually knew God and how he feels what a cult is.

Mark 3:24-26-- a house divided( 33,000 trinity religions) will NOT stand.
A true mark of the one single religion Jesus started--1Cor 1:10-- unity of thought, no division.

You are right about the things JW,s are taught to have no part of because they listen to Jesus who taught of his true followers--they are no part of this world. That means--one does not fit in--most on earth have to fit in.

But those in darkness believe the divided house who calls the religion that accomplishes 1Cor 1:10 a cult. Because they do not know God or his truth.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:04 PM

234 posts, read 162,430 times
In my opinion, all religions are cultish. Every religious book was written by man/men who were supposedly "inspired of 'God'". But regardless of Whatever kind of God you wish you believe in, I don't think you need any book or doctrine to bring you closer to that power.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,232,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
In my opinion, all religions are cultish. Every religious book was written by man/men who were supposedly "inspired of 'God'". But regardless of Whatever kind of God you wish you believe in, I don't think you need any book or doctrine to bring you closer to that power.
I agree all religions are wrong, Especially as to the nature of a god.

But some are wrong-er* than others.

Fundies are wrong-est*.

* I'm a professional writer. I can do this. You can't.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post

God gave us his written word for-ALL- to live by. Just because you don't agree doesn't make you right. 99% of all religions are cultish--one is correct--one has Jesus.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post

Yes, I do.

Because they don't agree with your version of reality. That's your definition of 'cult'. Of course, that's not really what the word means, but people making up their own definitions of words in order to make themselves feel good is nothing new.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 6,360,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, I do.

Because they don't agree with your version of reality. That's your definition of 'cult'. Of course, that's not really what the word means, but people making up their own definitions of words in order to make themselves feel good is nothing new.
The actual definition (as of yet) can be found here. There is research into this kind of thing. 4 whole minutes of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6yCvBesfXU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality