Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM

64,116 posts, read 40,427,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
There are no grandmother cells. Memory is divided amongst the cortical tissue, with some parts of memory being in the occipital lobe, others the temporal, etc. It has to be brought together by the hippocampus and striatum, amongst other brain parts. I do not know where you're getting your ideas.

Activity of human hippocampal and amygdala neurons during retrieval of declarative memories — PNAS
Mamelak: Reports that individual cells in the medial temporal lobe can recall memories. No ****. That would be the hippocampus and amygdala. The memories are not stored in the hippocampus: it acts more as a libraries card-index than the library shelves.

You must not be understanding these sources.
I could say the same about you, Konraden. You have not exhibited a strong capability to see the philosophical implications of concrete findings. You clearly are not in the habit of thinking things through to ALL their logical implications at the higher levels of abstraction. That is not necessarily a problem. All the practical requirements of such understanding do not normally need to access such implications. They are only relevant in philosophy and the universal implications of our scientific knowledge for a TRUE understanding of our reality. The same is generally true of mathematics as well. It is quite normal for a technical mastery of mathematics to exist side-by-side in a mind without any real understanding of the philosophical implications of the models and representations.
Quote:
You're so inane.
I assume you meant insane . . . since only ideas can be inane . . . and despite your erroneous beliefs neither you nor I are ideas or abstractions or illusions. In any case, I am not aware of your diagnostic credentials . . . so forgive me if I reject your diagnosis.
Quote:
How exactly? You destroy all means of accessing the world: memories, thoughts, and emotions, and you're left with a husk. A person is not self-aware and conscious without a brain. There is nothing more to it than that, even though you seem to insist, without viable evidence, that consciousness exists outside of that.
You still don't get it . . . a brain is necessary to PRODUCE consciousness. But once produced it exists within the universal field. Only the current production is accessible to us and only indirectly. WE (as Self) reside in the universal field after production. Stopping or crippling or altering production only changes the current production . . . NOT what has already been produced.
Quote:
?! What the hell are you talking about? Consciousness is not an entity. It's an abstraction (I know how much you hate that word) of just what you define as "you." It isn't something that exists outside of the brain, despite what you seem to be insisting. You have no evidence to suggest otherwise.Eternal energy of a consciousness is in no way supported. I dare you to prove me wrong without using fragments and obfuscation.
This where your philosophical deficit is most pronounced. You simply have not thought this through to the only logical conclusion about this "abstraction" you think that you are (a very sad self-image indeed). Every time I have attempted to walk you through a philosophical "proof" of concept . . . you accuse me of obfuscating. This is a symptom of the aforesaid deficit.
Quote:
There is no evidence to suggest that consciousness is more than what your brain provides. It is not some "standing waveform energy," whatever you're talking about there.
You can sit there with a physical (but primitive) trace of this waveform energy on the EEG tape and still deny its composite existence, incredible. Our consciousness is NOT the individual "firings" that produce the waveforms!!! It is a COMPOSITE and EXISTS as such, period . . . your lack of imagination about where this existence could possibly reside notwithstanding.
Quote:
At the most you can say, recreating a brain with the exact connections as you would result in a second conscious you. If that is your entire argument, consciousness is once again merely human invention defined by humans: an abstraction of oneself, and the replicated brain of yours would just be another human brain thinking to its smug self how philosophically superior it thinks it is without any evidence to back it up.
Talk about unsubstantiatable nonsense . . . There is only one of each of us and there can never be another.
Quote:
Without your brain, you do not exist. Your consciousness is product of said brain, and it doesn't exist outside of it. That is no debatable. Your insistence on the supernatural is rejected.
You and your supernatural crap. I point to existing sources for the energy of consciousness and you shout "supernatural" . . . the clarion call of those unable to refute the possibility. You are too strongly wed to anti-religious bullsh*t to be dispassionate and objective about this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 10:55 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
I'm interested in hearing about these "hundreds" of so-called prophecies and any overwhelming evidence derived from such. More than once a person has asked for evidence in a creator in this thread and so far nobody has delivered. Please elaborate.

Jeezy, I would love to speak of the prophecies, however Agnostic soldier in post 148. Did not want me to bring the topic up in this post, because it is on Evolution/Design. I always bring up this topic as a proof for a real Designer. However, some here really don't want to hear that proof. And I could be called for speaking off topic. If your really intrested, you could start another post on Bible prophecy. If I see it, I would be there.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Given that your premise is essentially mis-guided and mis-informed, nope. Sorry. Wrong bark, wrong tree.

Fact: it's all faith, since God hasn't bothered to show up for the majority of folks on this planet, ever, despite their frantic supplications for assistance.

It's certainly NOT science, the only other functional choice.

Those prophesy "fulfillments" are speculative of course, and far FAR FAR from incontrovertible and unambiguous, two words and definition that you choose to ignore time and again. The only prophesy that could possibly considered as proof of such by rational standards would be a time, date and action-SPECIFIC result. Occurring in the future, not in hind-sight, and absent any possible manipulation or prior set-up. You know, like the hilarious 2012 date?

As well, as I mentioned, some folks have claimed some of these prophesies have happened, while others claim they have yet to happen. Hmmm... doesn't seem so all-fired exacting, does it? And given that, you also can't call them absolutely fulfilled prophesies. Unless you aren't being too honest with yourself. And not if some other dude says they're still on the "to be done" list. Right?

Fact: it's all faith?
Pushing the denial button again rifleman? God already told us what would happen just before He returned. And you know those prophecies are happening. Yet you continue to ignore those Biblical facts. WHY IS THAT RIFLEMAN?

(1.) Time. When we see the Jewish people return to their ancient Home Land, after a (WORLDWIDE EXILE). Scripture tells us this would occur, in the Latter Days.

(2.) Place. Israel & Jerusalem.

(3.) Sequence of return. South Israel (FIRST), and Jerusalem (SECOND). Fulfilled in the order the Bible stated.

(4.) Physical evidence at the time of the return. Jerusalems Ancient East Gate still in existance. With an added Porch Gate, that is sealed up, and remains unopened.

(5.) Temple to be rebuilt on Mt. Moriah by the Jewish people. Preparations are already in the works, for the rebuilding of the Temple on Mt. Moriah.
http://www.squidoo.com/templejerusalem

This is not faith rifleman, these are BIBLICAL FACTS. And these facts show us evidence of a Designer, who knows the future.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:53 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,513,328 times
Campbell: Vedic Prophecies coming true are evidence for Krishna, yes or no?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
And please, Campbell, stick to the ones that are not post-diction and self-fulfilling.

All of the East Gate prophecy has been fulfilled by non believers in the Bible Konraden. You see, a real Desinger of future events, can have anyone fulfill His wishes. The only person who will ever open the East Gate, will be the person of Jesus Christ.

Prophecy

http://www.friendster.com/forums/post/list/24/1701 (broken link)

http://www.wordofloveforyou.com/Messiah11.htm

Last edited by Campbell34; 03-23-2010 at 02:32 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,915,897 times
Post 154 Campbell!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Campbell: Vedic Prophecies coming true are evidence for Krishna, yes or no?

I don't see anything in the Vedic Prophecies coming to pass. I see a lot of general statements about the future, yet nothing that would would indicate to me that any of it is true. The Bible on the other hand, is far more detailed, and it has a obvious truth that cannot be ignored. Again, only a true Designer of future events, could predict such things accurately.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I don't see anything in the Vedic Prophecies coming to pass. I see a lot of general statements about the future, yet nothing that would would indicate to me that any of it is true. The Bible on the other hand, is far more detailed, and it has a obvious truth that cannot be ignored. Again, only a true Designer of future events, could predict such things accurately.
i have a new post-Lord Kalki in the book of revelation-if you read the link you'll see

Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,867,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i didnt say it was all rubbish now did I

but if you want to base your knowledge on theory then go ahead

I don't believe in music. After all, it is just a theory. That's what I told my music theory teacher.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
So you personally don't see Vedic prophecy, but Hindus do. The Bible is just as ambiguous as any other holy book, which is abundantly clear when attempting to verify Prophecies of Christ. If you write off Vedic prophecy because you don't see prophecies being fulfilled, an consider that evidence against Vedic prophecy, then anyone else, atheist or otherwise, is equally justified writing of Biblical prophecy for the same reason/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality