Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,124,791 times

Advertisements

You're right ILNC!! Not just His Name but more respect for Him period.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,909,585 times
If I were to try getting the Lord's name correct, as closely as it was actually pronounced, I think I would prefer "Yeshua", not Jesus, the Anglized English version. It's like saying "Jorge" (Spanish) for George...yeah, it's "kinda-sorta" right, but not really. Is that really important? I don't know! To me, Yeshua is more respectful (but that's just me)
I have been on a Jewish/Christian site where they spell out the entire word...no underscores, so they are not all like that. (Sid Roth's Messianic Vision: Home, one of my favorites)

Ok....I just found this doing a Google search thing: G_d
And...there were a LOT of similar links...it's worth doing a Google search and reading up on. My understanding now is that it's a Jewish custom, to show reverence (but I'm no college professor on the subject...I'm still learning...) So, are we to assume when we see spelling that way, that the author is Jewish?

Bud

Old 06-07-2007, 12:07 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,491,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
You're right ILNC!! Not just His Name but more respect for Him period.....
Yes! I also think it's disrespectful when people use the initials JC for Jesus Christ. Most of them do it because they know it upsets Christians.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,945,678 times
Yes, it is a Jewish thing. I also know Messianic Jews who do the same thing. I've heard that you do it when typing on the computer because if someone prints it out you have the same problem with disposal of the page, so they don't want to take a chance.

As far as God and god, they mean different things to me, so I use both depending on my meaning. A god (lowercase G) can be one of many options, any deity like Zeus or Thor or Ra or Vishnu or Yahweh, etc. When I write God (with a capital G), I am generally referring to the Judeo-Christian god (lowercase G), or at least a god of that type but a specific god. When you use a capital G, it becomes a proper name.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,593,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yes, it is a Jewish thing. I also know Messianic Jews who do the same thing. I've heard that you do it when typing on the computer because if someone prints it out you have the same problem with disposal of the page, so they don't want to take a chance.

As far as God and god, they mean different things to me, so I use both depending on my meaning. A god (lowercase G) can be one of many options, any deity like Zeus or Thor or Ra or Vishnu or Yahweh, etc. When I write God (with a capital G), I am generally referring to the Judeo-Christian god (lowercase G), or at least a god of that type but a specific god. When you use a capital G, it becomes a proper name.
But Yahweh (or Jehovah, as the general english pronunciation is known) IS the Christian God. I think he's worthy of a capital 'g'.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 PM

30,448 posts, read 52,161,012 times
Okay guys, enough with calling it disrespectful... in Jewish tradition, we actually think YOU'RE being disrespectful to write His name out. We don't believe in putting the Lord's name in writing, because first of all, it can be destroyed that way (erased, torn, etc.) - secondly, we feel that a being so great as God (yes, I do type it fully) cannot be given a name such as a mortal would. In Hebrew text, we generally use a symbol of letters, such as "yad yad", and pronounce it as "Adonai." And when writing about Him in text, we generally use "G-d" instead. Here's some more on this, in case I haven't explained it well:
Ask the Rabbi - Why some Jews spell God, "G-d"?
Why Don't You Spell Out G-d's Name? - The Third Commandment

Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,317,633 times
I know Messianic Jews do not write out God, Lord or Jesus, its supposed to be out of respect...

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,945,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive
But Yahweh (or Jehovah, as the general english pronunciation is known) IS the Christian God. I think he's worthy of a capital 'g'.
I don't understand what you are saying. When I write Yahweh, I write a capital Y. When I am referring to Yahweh as God, I write a capital G. But when I am referring to a general concept of god, as opposed to a particular one, I use a lowercase g.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM

253 posts, read 642,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
what ADVentive means is that when referring to a specific being it is proper to write it with a capitol 'G' but in any other instance, you would write it with a lower case 'g'

Just like when talking to or about your mother (where you are using the word in stead of the name of the person) you would say "Mother" or "Mom", whereas when you are using the word as a position rather than a title, you would write it as "mother" or "mom"

For example "Mom, I need $20.00" or "Mom says you need to clean your room"

as opposed to "My mom said I'm not supposed to see that movie" or "Jennifer is my mother's name"

It would be the same when talking in terms of a god.

"God is the supreme being"
"The Christians have respect for their god"

it's simply a grammatical thing.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:48 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,491,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
what ADVentive means is that when referring to a specific being it is proper to write it with a capitol 'G' but in any other instance, you would write it with a lower case 'g'

Just like when talking to or about your mother (where you are using the word in stead of the name of the person) you would say "Mother" or "Mom", whereas when you are using the word as a position rather than a title, you would write it as "mother" or "mom"

For example "Mom, I need $20.00" or "Mom says you need to clean your room"

as opposed to "My mom said I'm not supposed to see that movie" or "Jennifer is my mother's name"

It would be the same when talking in terms of a god.

"God is the supreme being"
"The Christians have respect for their god"

it's simply a grammatical thing.
Not with me, it's a heart thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality