Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 PM

253 posts, read 641,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Not with me, it's a heart thing.
well, I would hope it would be the same way when you talk about your mother. When you are talking about God directly, that's when you would use a capitol letter, when you are talking about him indirectly you don't use a capitol. God is just a title, not a name, is your father's name Dad? When you are using an actual name, that is when you capitolize it whether you are talking directly or indirectly. Jesus for instance, that stays capitolized, but Lord is a title and is only capitolized when it is being used in place of a name. It's one of the earliest grade school grammar lessons, it is something English speaking children learn almost immediately after they learn their ABCs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,936,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
what ADVentive means is that when referring to a specific being it is proper to write it with a capitol 'G' but in any other instance, you would write it with a lower case 'g'

Just like when talking to or about your mother (where you are using the word in stead of the name of the person) you would say "Mother" or "Mom", whereas when you are using the word as a position rather than a title, you would write it as "mother" or "mom"

For example "Mom, I need $20.00" or "Mom says you need to clean your room"

as opposed to "My mom said I'm not supposed to see that movie" or "Jennifer is my mother's name"

It would be the same when talking in terms of a god.

"God is the supreme being"
"The Christians have respect for their god"

it's simply a grammatical thing.
Yes, thank you for explaining that. I think you did a better job than I did!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay guys, enough with calling it disrespectful... in Jewish tradition, we actually think YOU'RE being disrespectful to write His name out. We don't believe in putting the Lord's name in writing, because first of all, it can be destroyed that way (erased, torn, etc.) - secondly, we feel that a being so great as God (yes, I do type it fully) cannot be given a name such as a mortal would. In Hebrew text, we generally use a symbol of letters, such as "yad yad", and pronounce it as "Adonai." And when writing about Him in text, we generally use "G-d" instead. Here's some more on this, in case I haven't explained it well:
Ask the Rabbi - Why some Jews spell God, "G-d"?
Why Don't You Spell Out G-d's Name? - The Third Commandment
That's all fine and good gizmo, no disrespect here, and I'm all for respecting the name and even respecting the holy names, titles, etc. However, God is not some ignorant God that does not see the "intent of the heart" so to Him typing G_d or typing God is the same thing; they mean God when they say it or type it.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,120,788 times
The bottom line is, we should respect, fear, revere and love Him with all our heart, mind and spirit and we do this in every aspect of our lives every day.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,348,463 times
Wow I have seen print like that I just thought is was so that people could be politically correct. I think it is a turn off though and confusing.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM

253 posts, read 641,349 times
Yes, sometimes it can be confusing as on the internet people will often write bad words like that as well like f*ck so that they can get around the word blocks that a lot of boards put up. But I think it's not too hard to know when somebody is doing something out of respect and when they are doing it to get around the word blocks.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM

954 posts, read 815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes! I also think it's disrespectful when people use the initials JC for Jesus Christ. Most of them do it because they know it upsets Christians.
So now that you know that writing out the word God is considered dis-respectful to Jews.......are you going to stop doing it?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,794,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
So now that you know that writing out the word God is considered dis-respectful to Jews.......are you going to stop doing it?
hmmmm....did you notice that decalvo capitalized the word G-d. I think that he really might have been saved while he was out. Did he say if that spider was a Christian?

Last edited by weatherologist; 06-08-2007 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM

This "respect my belief" thing is a pet peeve of mine....and probably the reason I get so many infractions. I have never and will never respect peoples beliefs. That's not the same as not respecting the person who holds the belief. So many Christians are quick to say "you must respect my beliefs". I say rubbish! What respect do you give to other religions when you say "My god is the only true god?" If you want respect for your own religious beliefs then make a start by respecting the religious beliefs of others and accept that their gods are just as valid as yours.

Beliefs do not command respect in my book. Why should your belief in a god command any more respect than someone's belief that black people are inferior to white people? Would you give the respect to that belief that you demand of your own belief? I very much doubt it!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
hmmmm....did you notice that decalvo capitalized the word G-d. I think that he really might have been saved while he was out. Did he say if that spider was a Christian?
Me...saved! -o- forbid!! Whoops!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality