Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,331,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The author of the article put this quote under his name.

Last I heard humility was a hallmark of Christian virtue.
Well, perhaps I should go back and see what this is about. As I said, when I see such threads, I usually become suspicious. There is too much Christian bashing going on, and I'm tired of it. Sometimes I just choose not to participate. It's better on the blood pressure.

Look at what they say about Sarah Palin, and most of it is because of her faith. They hate her for it. That's the kind of country we live in now. What a shame.

Yet our founders were devout believers. History has been rewritten to make them out to be something less; even scoundrels. But their own words tell a different story.

I'm not ashamed of the Gospel of Chist, because it is the power of God, unto salvation. — from the Bible, but I did not put it in quotes because I don't have my Bible at hand so I don't have the exact reference (that's "French" for I'm too lazy to look it up right now!! LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
John Shore: Ten Ways Christians Tend to Fail at Being Christian

Very interesting article with some solid points. Wish I could post the whole list on here but guess you'll all have to hit the link for the article
This was an interesting article but I strongly disagree with point #6, especially the bolded part:

Quote: "6) Too invasive of others personally. We Christians are too often too eager to get up into the faces of others about their personal religious beliefs. If you believe in the reality of hell, then wanting to save non-Christians from going there is a worthy sentiment, of course. But the bottom line is it's absolutely impossible to talk someone who isn't a Christian into becoming one; in fact, more than anything else it's likely to push the non-Christian further from God. I believe we Christians would do very well indeed to spend our time "just" living as Christians, and let God worry about the non-Christians."

Although I don't personally believe in the in-your-face method of witnessing, Jesus clearly gave us the Great Commission (Matthew 28: 19-20) to share the gospel with unbelievers. We are not responsible for conversion as that is between unbelievers and God; but how can they make a choice of accepting or rejecting the message if they haven't heard the gospel message for themselves (Romans 10:13-15)?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,793,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
We are not responsible for conversion as that is between unbelievers and God; but how can they make a choice of accepting or rejecting the message if they haven't heard the gospel message for themselves (Romans 10:13-15)?
Hearing the gospel message would be fine, if only Christians themselves weren't in the way with their own conduct/ misrepresentation.

I believe there's great wisdom behind why so much of the bible is written in parable format. It encourages people to think deeply into the why of things even though that era is so far removed from us now. There are very few thou shalt not's by comparison.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Hearing the gospel message would be fine, if only Christians themselves weren't in the way with their own conduct/ misrepresentation.

I believe there's great wisdom behind why so much of the bible is written in parable format. It encourages people to think deeply into the why of things even though that era is so far removed from us now. There are very few thou shalt not's by comparison.
I agree with you as one of the greatest witnessing tools is a changed life and living out their faith.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,196,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've seen polls that show that less than 25% of self proclaimed Christians have actually read the bible.

Makes you wonder what they really believe, don't it?

Christians haven't been Christian since the second Pope took the throne in Rome.
I liked Nietzsche's view: Christianity died on the cross.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,196,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
John Shore: Ten Ways Christians Tend to Fail at Being Christian

Very interesting article with some solid points. Wish I could post the whole list on here but guess you'll all have to hit the link for the article
Great list.
It might be interesting to know if any churches preach about the ten points.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, perhaps I should go back and see what this is about. As I said, when I see such threads, I usually become suspicious. There is too much Christian bashing going on, and I'm tired of it. Sometimes I just choose not to participate. It's better on the blood pressure.

Look at what they say about Sarah Palin, and most of it is because of her faith. They hate her for it. That's the kind of country we live in now. What a shame.

Yet our founders were devout believers. History has been rewritten to make them out to be something less; even scoundrels. But their own words tell a different story.

I'm not ashamed of the Gospel of Chist, because it is the power of God, unto salvation. — from the Bible, but I did not put it in quotes because I don't have my Bible at hand so I don't have the exact reference (that's "French" for I'm too lazy to look it up right now!! LOL).
I agree 100% about Christian bashing, especially when it comes from people with not a hint of what it means to be a Christian. On the other hand I think a lot self examination by the body of Christ is long over due.

I thank God that Christ died for my sins and I thank him every day. However God's grace can go only so far considering what is going on today both in and outside the body of Christ. The statistics regarding adultery, divorce, alcoholism, etc.. does not paint a pretty picture of Christians and heathen alike. We need to get our priorities right and turn our eye's toward Christ, be an example of Christ, and the world will be a better place. We need to bi e in the world but not of it. IMHO I would say as a body we are too much in and of the world, time to get back on track before it is too late.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,658,428 times
Christians are Christians because they DO fail.
The perfect people can't be a Christian.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,624,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I agree 100% about Christian bashing, especially when it comes from people with not a hint of what it means to be a Christian.
One doesn't have to know "what it means to be a Christian" to be offended by a condescending attitude towards everyone who isn't a Christian. The way we (and I use "we" because I'm not a member of your club) are offhandedly labeled as "non-believers" doesn't exactly inspire sweetness and light.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,860,684 times
Yawn. Weak list. He breaks his own rule #3 by his #1 comments. The "sin" of wealth is man-created - Jesus was responding to the rich ruler who he knew in his heart only loved his riches - he was not saying being wealthy was a sin of it's own.

Looks like I put more thought into article that the author did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality