Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
it a blog so who gives a dam on punctuation and grammar.
and i rode the short bus do to a handicap that was physical. and no i am not pc.
this person is a self righteous jerk they way he came off!
A blog is just about self-expression. It's your own diary, put up for everyone to see. A forum is a conversation, so communication skills are more important.

When I read the original post, I was thinking, "Why didn't OP notice these things before moving in?" But sometimes things end up mattering more than you think they will. There are things about our house that didn't bother me when we bought it, but they are getting to be a pain now.

Anyway, OP has learned some things for next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,824 times
yes they did but the come off as if it was done to effect them that the funny part.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
it a blog so who gives a dam on punctuation and grammar.
and i rode the short bus do to a handicap that was physical. and no i am not pc.
this person is a self righteous jerk they way he came off!
LOL, whenever people on any type of message board get pissed they always attack the grammar spelling and punctuation.,

like really, this isnt an english test..... ugh !! get over it
LOL

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
Nope, not pissed. I just found it funny that someone insinuating that the OP is cognitively challenged can't spell or write properly. Glass houses and all of that.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,824 times
lawmom special ed kids are not the only ones who ride the short bus, day care dose also. so do kids doing vocational training.. so before you talk look around.
and yes this person dose have some issues like mommy and daddy did every thing for them maybe.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Mail is centralized. You have to walk a considerable distance just to get the mail. Because of this, I have to get the mail on the way to my apartment when driving home.
Mail is centralized at my house, the box is about a half block away. We have to get the mail when coming or going.

Quote:
The trash dumpsters are centralized and are way too far to walk to. Again, I have to freekin' drive with the trash bags in my car all the way to the dumpster.
Do you actually believe that I have to store my trash for an entire week in cans and then drag them out to the curb and then space them so that the robo truck can dump the cans? Don't even get me started about how one piece of cardboard will get stuck leaving me with a full recycling can to start the next week.

Quote:
Parking is not assigned, which means you aren't guaranteed a good parking spot.
I usually park in my driveway, but sometimes on the street if my wife needs to use her car. Of course I can't park in front of my house as my neighbors kid is home from college with three of his friends taking up MY spot.

Quote:
My unit is on the 2nd floor, which makes it a pain in the a$$ to carry groceries back and forth from my car. I have to lock my trunk each time I make a trip to my apt and unlock the doors, etc. A big pain.
My front door is on what would be considered the side of my house. I have to lug my groceries all the way around the house EVERY time.

Quote:
Dealing with snow is a nightmare, with no garage. This morning I spent a good 20 minutes shoveling my way out of the parking space, and there's no where to put the snow, unless you walk like 15 feet away for each scoop, dump it off, and repeat.
This morning I spent an hour shoveling out my driveway and walk before leaving for work. While I was in the shower and getting dressed in a suit for a meeting, the plow trucks came and buried my driveway back in....those bastards.

Quote:
The gym is always busy with other people in there, using the freekin' equipment and turning their TV's on so loud it becomes annoying. I quit going to the fitness center, because of this. Can't even work out in privacy.
OMG Becky!!! Tell me about it. I PAY $30 a month to go to the only gym in my area that is either filled with meatheads or inconsiderate d-bags doing the same thing.

Quote:
And the worst -- the neighbor above me blasts his music so freekin' loud every morning while taking a shower and sings along to it, as well as every night from 10:30 - midnight. It's as if someone is listening to music in the room next to me.
Don't even get me started on my neighbors kid who thinks he's going to be the next Justin Beiber or something. If I have to listen to him and his friends "practicing" one more time while his girlfriend howls along like a half-dead cat, I'm going to scream.

Quote:
The neighbor above me does exercises (probably jump rope) that cause the floor to shake in a constant repetitive manner, and it shakes my whole ceiling.
My other neighbor apparently thinks he's Lanse Amrmstrong or something. DUDE if I wanted to see your balls, I'd ask. No need to be stretching in your driveway in spandex before going for a ride.

Quote:
The apartments have central air forced heating from the ceiling, which is THE worst method of heating EVER. I have to set the thermostat to 76 just to make it comfortable in my apt. Ridiculous.
Would you believe that the HVAC system in my house is 17 years old? The best part, get this....they want ME to pay to replace/fix it when it breaks!!!!

Quote:
There is a lack of closest space, making it impossible to even store certain things such as trash bags and clothing.
The ladder opening into my attic is so narrow that only certain sized boxes will fit up there. Seriously, what the hell do they want me to do with my Christmas tree? The damn HOA won't let me leave it in my front window all year long.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
Geez, the guy is just venting. It sounds like he knows he made a poor decision to rent there.

I totally understand the whole "you should have known before you moved in" thing but I rented a 4th floor apt in a walkup once and when I viewed the unit, the stairs didn't seem that bad. It was a really nice apartment so I took it.

After living there for a month or so I realized just how much of a pain it is to lug a shopping cart, laundry, furniture, etc., that I bought up all those flights.

The apartment the OP rented sounds really nice and perhaps he got caught up in the whole granite/balcony etc., and didn't realize how much of an inconvenience it is to lug groceries and garbage. What seemed to be "not so bad/very tolerable" before he rented turns out to be a huge pain once he lived it for a little while. Nothing wrong with venting about a poor decision.

The gym thing made me think this was a troll post though. I've never been in a fitness center of any kind that wasn't crowded to the walls and did not have music blaring. Expecting privacy in the building's gym is way over the top.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM

323 posts, read 528,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
As a homeowner I would love to be able to just up and move to a new place every year. But good luck selling a home for a good price in this economy. Not to mention closing costs... .renting is a great option these days.
So true!!! On my 3rd home now and wish I could move/sell. But I hope to never rent an apartment again for the reasons the OP stated - I'd rent a house or duplex.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

The gym thing made me think this was a troll post though. I've never been in a fitness center of any kind that wasn't crowded to the walls and did not have music blaring. Expecting privacy in the building's gym is way over the top.
I must be pretty lucky, then. In 3 apartment complexes, all of them had fitness centers. Two were/are tiny, each has about 5-6 machines. The middle complex was absolutely huge, had about 10 treadmills, some bikes, ellipticals, a huge assortment of weight lifting machines and free weights...

Whenever I go to the gym, I am usually the only person there, especially in the current complex. In the larger gym, there was occasionally one or two other people, but it was nowhere near as packed as it was intended to be. And they all had TVs, but had muted volumes with subtitles turned on.

So I guess I just assumed all complexes were like that, that the gyms were only infrequently used.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
The gym in my complex is in the same room with the laundry. It consists of an old treadmill, and one weight machine. Since there is cable there, most of the time, it is full of people hanging out watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting