Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

I havent lived in a apt in over 12 yrs & i never will again. The 100 + apt complex i lived in was built in the 60s & the walls were thin. I lived downstairs & my neighbor upstairs was the neighbor from hell. The mailboxes & trash bins were nearby & i parked right in front of my apt but we had no carports & you could rent a enclosed garage space for 25.00 mo.

Some people like apt living & some dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Why do you all have to shovel snow? I thought it was the apartment owner's responsibility to maintain common areas? I live in an apartment and while it doesn't snow very often here, we get a 4 or 5 inches inches of snow a couple of times a year. I've never had to shovel snow once. The apartment company has a snow removal service plow the parking lot, and the maintenance guys come out and clear the walkways between the buildings with a little snow plow mounted on an ATV.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 AM

78 posts, read 394,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I havent lived in a apt in over 12 yrs & i never will again. The 100 + apt complex i lived in was built in the 60s & the walls were thin. I lived downstairs & my neighbor upstairs was the neighbor from hell. The mailboxes & trash bins were nearby & i parked right in front of my apt but we had no carports & you could rent a enclosed garage space for 25.00 mo.

Some people like apt living & some dont.
+1. After owning a home, I just can't go back to apartment life. My assets are temporarily tied up and I need to rent. I toured three apartments this week before finally breaking down and renting a house.

Apartment life generally entails:

+ Small living quarters
+ Sharing "your" backyard with pets and doo-doo
+ Being zoned-our of nearby schools
+ "Faux" everything--marble, granite, hardwood
+ More frequent car break-ins
+ Paper thin walls
+ "Hotpoint" cheap, marginally working appliances
+ Minimal construction -- basic baths, cheap faucets, sharp wall edges...
+ Neighbors who change too often to make long-term friends
+ Strange accounting of utilities and security deposits

I wish I could do it. I would save over a grand a month.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Owning a home obviously is much better than an apartment, but then when you have the dreaded HOA with rules, (not that I would ever in million years buy in a HOA area),that to me takes the freedom away from owning a house....
you are back to square one with the "rules" of what you are allowed to do.

After having a LL for so many years, who then wants to buy a house and have HOA rules, you gotta be kidding.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM

323 posts, read 528,832 times
Ahh!! Freedom - a house in a decent neighborhood, close commute, no HOA's, and a little distance between the next house! Of course, you still have the plumbing,electrical,lawn care and other home maintenance bills that sometimes you can't afford in a timely manner - but at least it's yours and the bank!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Two months ago, I moved into a 1-br apartment in an apartment complex in Middletown, CT. It's new construction (built in 2008) with granite countertops, gas fireplace, balcony and a washer & dryer in the unit. It is a 778 sq ft apt for $1,165 per month, with no utilities included, except for water. Amenities include a pool and a small fitness center. With that said, here are the reasons why I am not happy and I feel the need to vent, and can't wait for the day that I can buy a house:
  • Mail is centralized. You have to walk a considerable distance just to get the mail. Because of this, I have to get the mail on the way to my apartment when driving home.
  • The trash dumpsters are centralized and are way too far to walk to. Again, I have to freekin' drive with the trash bags in my car all the way to the dumpster.
  • Parking is not assigned, which means you aren't guaranteed a good parking spot.
  • My unit is on the 2nd floor, which makes it a pain in the a$$ to carry groceries back and forth from my car. I have to lock my trunk each time I make a trip to my apt and unlock the doors, etc. A big pain.
  • Dealing with snow is a nightmare, with no garage. This morning I spent a good 20 minutes shoveling my way out of the parking space, and there's no where to put the snow, unless you walk like 15 feet away for each scoop, dump it off, and repeat.
  • The gym is always busy with other people in there, using the freekin' equipment and turning their TV's on so loud it becomes annoying. I quit going to the fitness center, because of this. Can't even work out in privacy.
  • And the worst -- the neighbor above me blasts his music so freekin' loud every morning while taking a shower and sings along to it, as well as every night from 10:30 - midnight. It's as if someone is listening to music in the room next to me.
  • The neighbor above me does exercises (probably jump rope) that cause the floor to shake in a constant repetitive manner, and it shakes my whole ceiling.
  • The apartments have central air forced heating from the ceiling, which is THE worst method of heating EVER. I have to set the thermostat to 76 just to make it comfortable in my apt. Ridiculous.
  • There is a lack of closest space, making it impossible to even store certain things such as trash bags and clothing.
Dear God, get me out of here now! Why are new construction apartments built so cheaply these days? Why didn't they put soundproofing in the celings/floors? Why not build garages so we don't have to deal with the snow?

I can't WAIT to move out of here and into a house, where I can have maximum privacy!
You have no one to blame but yourself. Almost everything you have complained about (except the neighbors) was available for you to examine and be aware of before you leased this place. Failing to do so was your own fault. Maybe you will pay more attention next time.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but then when you have the dreaded HOA with rules, (not that I would ever in million years buy in a HOA area),that to me takes the freedom away from owning a house....
In many areas, all the nice homes have HOAs. It's not a big deal, and can even be nice, as long as you find one with a compatible philosophy on what a good community looks like and how much of a role the HOA should play.

My HOA does a great job listening to residents and managing community resources, standards, and security.

But if you want to paint your house hot pink, you surely won't like them to much!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likesAppliances View Post
+1. After owning a home, I just can't go back to apartment life. My assets are temporarily tied up and I need to rent. I toured three apartments this week before finally breaking down and renting a house.

Apartment life generally entails:

+ Small living quarters
+ Sharing "your" backyard with pets and doo-doo
+ Being zoned-our of nearby schools
+ "Faux" everything--marble, granite, hardwood
+ More frequent car break-ins
+ Paper thin walls
+ "Hotpoint" cheap, marginally working appliances
+ Minimal construction -- basic baths, cheap faucets, sharp wall edges...
+ Neighbors who change too often to make long-term friends
+ Strange accounting of utilities and security deposits

I wish I could do it. I would save over a grand a month.

For someone with the username "LikesAppliances" I can't wait to hear how horrible your LL is for replacing a broken appliance out of his own pocket.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Why do you all have to shovel snow? I thought it was the apartment owner's responsibility to maintain common areas? I live in an apartment and while it doesn't snow very often here, we get a 4 or 5 inches inches of snow a couple of times a year. I've never had to shovel snow once. The apartment company has a snow removal service plow the parking lot, and the maintenance guys come out and clear the walkways between the buildings with a little snow plow mounted on an ATV.
Most places you still have to shovel out your car.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
For someone with the username "LikesAppliances" I can't wait to hear how horrible your LL is for replacing a broken appliance out of his own pocket.
What a strange comment. My landlord agreed to allow me to replace key appliances as I wish. That was one of my conditions for signing the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting