Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Two months ago, I moved into a 1-br apartment in an apartment complex in Middletown, CT. It's new construction (built in 2008) with granite countertops, gas fireplace, balcony and a washer & dryer in the unit. It is a 778 sq ft apt for $1,165 per month, with no utilities included, except for water. Amenities include a pool and a small fitness center. With that said, here are the reasons why I am not happy and I feel the need to vent, and can't wait for the day that I can buy a house:
  • Mail is centralized. You have to walk a considerable distance just to get the mail. Because of this, I have to get the mail on the way to my apartment when driving home.
  • The trash dumpsters are centralized and are way too far to walk to. Again, I have to freekin' drive with the trash bags in my car all the way to the dumpster.
  • Parking is not assigned, which means you aren't guaranteed a good parking spot.
  • My unit is on the 2nd floor, which makes it a pain in the a$$ to carry groceries back and forth from my car. I have to lock my trunk each time I make a trip to my apt and unlock the doors, etc. A big pain.
  • Dealing with snow is a nightmare, with no garage. This morning I spent a good 20 minutes shoveling my way out of the parking space, and there's no where to put the snow, unless you walk like 15 feet away for each scoop, dump it off, and repeat.
  • The gym is always busy with other people in there, using the freekin' equipment and turning their TV's on so loud it becomes annoying. I quit going to the fitness center, because of this. Can't even work out in privacy.
  • And the worst -- the neighbor above me blasts his music so freekin' loud every morning while taking a shower and sings along to it, as well as every night from 10:30 - midnight. It's as if someone is listening to music in the room next to me.
  • The neighbor above me does exercises (probably jump rope) that cause the floor to shake in a constant repetitive manner, and it shakes my whole ceiling.
  • The apartments have central air forced heating from the ceiling, which is THE worst method of heating EVER. I have to set the thermostat to 76 just to make it comfortable in my apt. Ridiculous.
  • There is a lack of closest space, making it impossible to even store certain things such as trash bags and clothing.
Dear God, get me out of here now! Why are new construction apartments built so cheaply these days? Why didn't they put soundproofing in the celings/floors? Why not build garages so we don't have to deal with the snow?

I can't WAIT to move out of here and into a house, where I can have maximum privacy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Wow, I can almost feel sorry for you, but I don't

1- Our mail is in the lobby, so we have to walk down 4 flights of stairs, but I just get it when I come home from work, no big deal.

2-The trash is on the outside of the building, so I have to go down 4 flights of stairs, but I just bring it down when I am going down for something else, no big deal.

3-Parking is horrific anywhere here where I live, it is just something you have to deal with, along with everyone else that lives in the neighborhood.

4-We are on the 4th floor of a walk up, so the 2fl would be a dream, your not getting any sympathy out of me.

5-Snow here is also a nightmare, as is everywhere where there is snow. We just deal with it, like everyone else does.

6-We have quiet neighbors and noisy neighbors, it happens. Everyone's lives and schedules are different. It is something as an apartment dweller you have to just deal with. It isn't always pleasant, but none the less, it is a part of apartment life.

7- We have steam heat, controlled by the building. The first and second floors are the hottest the third and fourth are the coolest. The fourth floor is the last to get the heat but the first to lose the heat.

But I have been here 25 years, and things are only bad if you let them be bad. These little inconveniences are only a problem if you make them a problem.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Sounds like you are not fit for apartment living.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Two months ago, I moved into a 1-br apartment in an apartment complex in Middletown, CT. It's new construction (built in 2008) with granite countertops, gas fireplace, balcony and a washer & dryer in the unit. It is a 778 sq ft apt for $1,165 per month, with no utilities included, except for water. Amenities include a pool and a small fitness center. With that said, here are the reasons why I am not happy and I feel the need to vent, and can't wait for the day that I can buy a house:
  • Mail is centralized. You have to walk a considerable distance just to get the mail. Because of this, I have to get the mail on the way to my apartment when driving home.
  • The trash dumpsters are centralized and are way too far to walk to. Again, I have to freekin' drive with the trash bags in my car all the way to the dumpster.
  • Parking is not assigned, which means you aren't guaranteed a good parking spot.
  • My unit is on the 2nd floor, which makes it a pain in the a$$ to carry groceries back and forth from my car. I have to lock my trunk each time I make a trip to my apt and unlock the doors, etc. A big pain.
  • Dealing with snow is a nightmare, with no garage. This morning I spent a good 20 minutes shoveling my way out of the parking space, and there's no where to put the snow, unless you walk like 15 feet away for each scoop, dump it off, and repeat.
  • The gym is always busy with other people in there, using the freekin' equipment and turning their TV's on so loud it becomes annoying. I quit going to the fitness center, because of this. Can't even work out in privacy.
  • And the worst -- the neighbor above me blasts his music so freekin' loud every morning while taking a shower and sings along to it, as well as every night from 10:30 - midnight. It's as if someone is listening to music in the room next to me.
  • The neighbor above me does exercises (probably jump rope) that cause the floor to shake in a constant repetitive manner, and it shakes my whole ceiling.
  • The apartments have central air forced heating from the ceiling, which is THE worst method of heating EVER. I have to set the thermostat to 76 just to make it comfortable in my apt. Ridiculous.
  • There is a lack of closest space, making it impossible to even store certain things such as trash bags and clothing.
Dear God, get me out of here now! Why are new construction apartments built so cheaply these days? Why didn't they put soundproofing in the celings/floors? Why not build garages so we don't have to deal with the snow?

I can't WAIT to move out of here and into a house, where I can have maximum privacy!
No offense, but most of those issues (with the exception of the neighbor being noisy and the gym being crowded) you should have been able to suss out before you moved in, and looked for a place more suited to your needs.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Apart from the issues with the neighbors, the only person you should be blaming for these things is yourself. These are all items anyone should have anticipated before moving in. How exactly did you think your groceries were going to get from your car to the apartment? And did you think the closets were going to somehow get bigger after you moved in?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Apart from the issues with the neighbors, the only person you should be blaming for these things is yourself. These are all items anyone should have anticipated before moving in. How exactly did you think your groceries were going to get from your car to the apartment? And did you think the closets were going to somehow get bigger after you moved in?

Oh that's funny, I am still praying for that to happen.
and I have been praying for decades... hahahahahah

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:

I grew up in Middletown CT. How are you paying $1,128 to live in bonies in middletown! Are you crazy? What a ripoff!!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
Not sure what kind of response you were hoping for, but I think most people are saying basically the same thing...

Didn't you look at the closets before you signed your lease?
Did you know the apartment was going to be on the 2nd floor with no elevators?
Did you think your mail was going to be brought directly to your door?
Did you anticipate not having a garage in a snowy environment (did they promise you a garage or assigned parking when you signed your lease?)
Did you notice the lack of a dumpster at the base of your stairs for your convenience? If there was, I think you would be unhappy about that anyway...

Have you complained about the noisy neighbors? Nothing will get done unless you tell the office - they don't know there is an issue if you don't speak up.

And the final note... even after you buy this dream house you are thinking of, there will still be things you won't like about it. There always is. You will always have to put up with some inconveniences in life... that's just how it is.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
As others mentioned... 80% or 8 from your list of 10 items are on you.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of due diligence when it comes to renting or buying a home.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:

Mail is centralized. You have to walk a considerable distance just to get the mail. Because of this, I have to get the mail on the way to my apartment when driving home.
Did this for 4 years.

Quote:
The trash dumpsters are centralized and are way too far to walk to. Again, I have to freekin' drive with the trash bags in my car all the way to the dumpster.
Did this for 4 years. Just don't put the bags on top of your trunk or hood. Somebody always does that and the bag falls off.

Quote:
Parking is not assigned, which means you aren't guaranteed a good parking spot.
Did this for 4 years.

Quote:
My unit is on the 2nd floor, which makes it a pain in the a$$ to carry groceries back and forth from my car. I have to lock my trunk each time I make a trip to my apt and unlock the doors, etc. A big pain.
Did this for 4 years and I was on the 2nd floor and we had 3 floors. I just buy groceries every week so I would avoid having to do it so often.

It's part of apartment living.
Do you have physical limitations that are making it a struggle to do these tasks on a frequent basis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting