Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM

10 posts, read 189,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
you should of gone right over to your managers office and pulled them outside to see it.
K
It's not that kind of building. It's a smallish condo, with many renters.
There's no full-time manager on site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Timing! When I lived on the 5th floor & had plants I was told by the LL there were complants about me watering them. BUT there wasnt a thing she could do! Was my Right to have plants & care for them. Was her right to sit out on her patio. I asked the complaining person When Wasnt she outside? That way I could water the plants & Not get her wet! We Fixed a Hour in the evening after dark! TALK To them & figure out a Time convient to both of you. Make sure your inside with door closed.
The problem here isn't "watering the plants." A little sprinkle of water on the plants wouldn't bother anyone.

What we're talking about in my case is buckets full of water raining down, or spraying down. Like someone had mopped the kitchen floor then poured the used water over the railing. Much larger amounts than just a little sprinkling to water a few plants.

Last edited by ferdinsky; 12-23-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 PM

The Good News, completely unexpected, is that a few days after I started this thread, the building manager put notices on everyone's door noting that there had been complaints about people pouring large amounts of water off of their balconies, which is a violation of the rules of the building. The notice also mentioned that charcoal grilling on balconies was another violation and illegal under state law, and that these violations could lead to penalties of $1,000.

Since those notices went up, it seems that whoever was dumping the water has stopped.

I hadn't said anything to the landlord, condo association, or the manager about this, so I assume that either other residents had also been complaining or one of the neighbors on whose door I had left a note must be on the condo board.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions in this thread.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdinsky View Post
The Good News, completely unexpected, is that a few days after I started this thread, the building manager put notices on everyone's door noting that there had been complaints about people pouring large amounts of water off of their balconies, which is a violation of the rules of the building. The notice also mentioned that charcoal grilling on balconies was another violation and illegal under state law, and that these violations could lead to penalties of $1,000.

Since those notices went up, it seems that whoever was dumping the water has stopped.

I hadn't said anything to the landlord, condo association, or the manager about this, so I assume that either other residents had also been complaining or one of the neighbors on whose door I had left a note must be on the condo board.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions in this thread.
that's good. Thanks for the update.

Keep the contact info for the building manager if it starts again, or if something else comes up.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdinsky View Post
(And I won't even mention the chain-smoker. My lease has a no-smoking in unit clause. )

Suggestions?
Glad the coffee water problem has been resolved.

I, too, once lived in a non-smoking complex. Yet the person below me smoked cigarettes in her unit. The smoke would seep into mine and leave a noticeable haze & smell. I made written notifications to the LandLord, yet the problem continued all winter. The smoker (a senior citizen woman) wouldn't go smoke outside in the cold weather.

The LandLord smelled cigarette smoke in my apartment, but the old lady wouldn't ever open her door to the LandLord. The LL then provided 24 hour notice of entry to her unit, but she cleaned out eveything. A couple more LL visits. After that, she lightened up but did not stop. Took weeks of hassle. And I'm sure the smoke finally stopped because the weather warmed up in the spring and she could then smoke outside. I moved out of that apartment the next fall rather than deal with her sneaking cigarettes when the weather started to turn cold again.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 10,299 times
I have the problem of the water from above on terrace, but I know it’s from 2 things. One he lets his big dog defecate rather than walk it. so then he uses bleach and water to clean it. and it dumps onto my balcony which destroyed the paint. Also flies are swarming until he gets home to clean it. the other times the dumping has occurred are from the toxic waste from his meth lab. Perhaps it sounds like I’m making this up or don’t really know what’s going on (at least that’s what I would think if it wasn’t me), but I do know for more reasons than I’m including here. Building mgr said call police, police have been to his place several times after waiting outside for him to hide everything before letting them in. I’ve kept reports anonymous for fear of retribution. I love it here and don’t want to leave or even move to another location in the building – actually nothing is available anyway. So based on the laws, (not sure if it’s federal law or just the way the laws are here in Philadelphia) there’s nothing that can be done. Ps, in the beginning my husband tried talking to him very nicely, he denied there was anything being dumped. Also the building mgr talked to him and he denied it to her too. If anyone has any suggestions for getting this guy either caught or want to move while allowing me to be anonymous, I would be grateful.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,702 times
I don' understand why the person watering the plants can't put something on the bottom of them like a tray to stop the overflow. It's not necessary to overwater the plants. And if you do, have some respect for those below you to not impede on their enjoyment either.
Reading a book on your balcony is a RIGHT of your enjoyment, not getting rained on while doing it is also a right.
disrespect.
I have complained LOTS. nothing done. I think Im going to have to start throwing up a cup of water when she does this to SHOW her what she is doing.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:29 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,266 times
I had a similar situation when I first moved into my downstairs apt. But they were throwing cigarette butts and they were landing on my patio and chair. Fire hazard big time. I immediately let the mgr know and the next day there were bright colored notices on all doors stating they are not to use their patio and sidewalks as ash trays and at the same time she listed other lease violations that were occurring. (this way they weren't really pointing any fingers at anyone specific, but if the shoe fits wear it) The problem stopped but reoccurred when new tenants have moved in over the last 10 years. Let the apt office know and maybe they can help you. I've also had the water problem from folks watering their plants. Never a dull moment with apt living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting