Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 11:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Living paycheck to paycheck is a personal choice...and for us, it's a no go.
Certain people will never understand this and spend all the money they make. Give them a bonus and watch them go buy a new TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
My sympathies and adios.

And that's how you should be thank you

Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Certain people will never understand this and spend all the money they make. Give them a bonus and watch them go buy a new TV.

No kidding.

Also watch those same certain people pay for their food with food stamps, but use cash to buy beer and smokes. Ok..off topic, won't go there.

Household budgeting should be a requirement to graduate high school. Household budgeting should be a requirement for anyone getting any sort of govt help.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Yes that is true but I am talking about someone losing their job and not being able to afford to stay at the apt.
That person would receive UE. If they lived more frugally in the first place, their savings would be adequate. And I already gave a list of things a person could do to get by.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
That person would receive UE. If they lived more frugally in the first place, their savings would be adequate. And I already gave a list of things a person could do to get by.

I'm talking about UE running out

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Quote:
BF was just in this situation. He was unemployed for a year and a half. He applied EVERYWHERE, even fast food places. Nothing was coming his way. Thank GOD he found a great job, working at a hospital. He was this close to running out of UE benefits.

I agree with those who say save for a rainy day. Even if you just put aside a little from each check, it adds up. You don't want to be caught with your pants down should a financial emergency come up. It's scary.

I had that happen in my last apartment. My landlord called me in the beginning of December 2012 to tell me she was divorcing her husband and needed the apartment for him. I live on Staten Island and this was a month after Hurricane Sandy. There were hardly any apartments to be found because of all the displaced people, not to mention, who moves during the holidays? I had very little in savings and was scared.

I thank God for my boss who gave me my end of year bonus early to enable me to move out of that apartment and not have to deal with the hassle of going to court and her trying to evict me. I know that she wouldn't have been able to get me out that quickly, but I didn't want to have to deal with going to court and her harassment.

But I learned that day how quickly life can throw you a curve ball and you can be faced with such an emergency.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,762 times
Quote:
If you hold out for the perfect job, and your UE runs out, that's your choice.

If you rented a room or a less expensive apartment, and lived below your means, than you'd have more savings for when things hit the fan.

This isn't rocket science.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
If you hold out for the perfect job, and your UE runs out, that's your choice.

If you rented a room or a less expensive apartment, and lived below your means, than you'd have more savings for when things hit the fan.

This isn't rocket science.

You should know by now acccepting any job accomplishes nothing because you will be misreable.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,607 times
Here we go again with pathetic.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
You should know by now acccepting any job accomplishes nothing because you will be misreable.

There are no words. None. Not a one. I'm just sitting here shaking my head...my 17yr old has more common sense in her little toe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting