Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times

Advertisements

I haven't rented in over 10 years in CA.

We rented a nice place, nice area, landlord seems pretty easy going.

So the place has always been a rental since early 90's so it has some worn items. The blinds are the heavier type and with age they are so hard to pull up we are concerned about breaking them. Obviously we mark that. We have 7-10 items that we believe need to be remedied or at least notified of existing issues.

The form he gave us is 3-4 pages long and ask so many questions that either aren't relevant or aren't an issue. For some I can easily put N/A.

I guess what I am trying to ask is do I have to go item by item on his 4 page checklist or can I just fill out the relevant parts, put N/A on others, and when we are finally unpacked, if we notice something, notify him at that time.?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:30 AM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you don't want to pay for damage, you have to make note of it before you move in.

Fill out the forms and take a lot of photos, especially of the areas where you have noted preexisting damage

If you are too lazy to write N/A a few times ( or OK) don't be surprised when you lose some of your deposit when you move out.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
The time you spend now going over each item is money saved when it's time to move out (and you have to pay for something you didn't note on the form now).

Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM

We did a walk through with landlord, he just said fill out this form if you notice things while you are getting settled in, so that's what we are doing.

I don't mind putting N/A, but I don't know if 100% certain it's N/A i unless I check every one of the 100 plus items on the list, that's my real question, do I have to item by item or can I maybe put ? because frankly I don't know?

It seems a bit ridiculous to have to item by item on list since there are 100 plus questions.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM

639 posts, read 1,964,934 times
I got a list like that when I moved into my apartment. It took maybe 15 minutes to fill out. I can't even imagine being too lazy to fill out the form.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Don't complain when you move out and get charged for all those NA. I have a comprehensive walk through list. Its in your best interest to fill it out as completely as you can and get a copy.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM

All good points.

We just don't want to be perceived as PITA tenants, we take very good care of everyone's property, and at the same time we don't want to be held liable for other's damage.

What we are doing is taking some videos because a fair amount of windows and screens are hard to open worn/dirt in tracts and don't want to be liable for damage that may result from worn/unclean windows, ie window screen ripping.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
All good points.

We just don't want to be perceived as PITA tenants, we take very good care of everyone's property, and at the same time we don't want to be held liable for other's damage.

What we are doing is taking some videos because a fair amount of windows and screens are hard to open worn/dirt in tracts and don't want to be liable for damage that may result from worn/unclean windows, ie window screen ripping.
Why would you think that? If I rented you a house and things are broken or not working I would expect you to say something. I can either take note of it or fix/replace it. I have a small rental that is older has some normal use that's not worth fixing. I have no issue with a tenant writing those things down so they dont get charged for things that they had no control over when they took possession. Granted I don't nit pick things. And I have downtime to fix things between tenants.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
All good points.

It sounds as though you're entering into a lease with a very good and conscientious landlord who's taken the time and trouble to provide you with a checklist so that all remains clear. How can you possibly think you're starting off as a PITA tenant when you're doing exactly what the LL is asking you to do? Your LL is going way above and beyond what most do in giving you such a list to complete. Stop moaning and just do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting