Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
She must be really bored to do all this. It sounds taxing to be this crazy.
Wow, just spent hours reading this thread. Saw the last page and was shocked to find out it was regarding the whack-a-doodle from page 1. Does she rent places furnished or does she keep moving her furniture from place to place?

Also how do you mark a thread so you can see updates on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 11:46 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wow, just spent hours reading this thread. Saw the last page and was shocked to find out it was regarding the whack-a-doodle from page 1. Does she rent places furnished or does she keep moving her furniture from place to place?

You already are set up to get updates! This post alone will subscribe you to the thread!

Old 07-26-2020, 11:47 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Look at the right just above the thread, and select “thread tools.” Under that you’ll find an option to subscribe to the thread; that will send you an email every time the thread is updated.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:50 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Look at the right just above the thread, and select “thread tools.” Under that you’ll find an option to subscribe to the thread; that will send you an email every time the thread is updated.
Thank you!

Old 08-23-2020, 07:21 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
The story that cwaggy tells is fascinating but chilling.

I recently saw an even worse horror story about a woman who unknowingly rented a room in her home to a serial grifter. Imagine being ordered to live with the renter against your will. It's enough to put many people off the idea of being a landlord entirely, especially in New York.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...me-months.html

Old 08-23-2020, 09:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

I recently saw an even worse horror story about a woman who unknowingly rented a room in her home to a serial grifter. Imagine being ordered to live with the renter against your will. It's enough to put many people off the idea of being a landlord entirely, especially in New York.

I read about that! NYC is completely sided with the renters. This poor woman is being terrorized.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:56 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

It is not only NYC. My ex and I rented out a room to a single lady in our young adult years (when rates were 14%+). She worked for the same real estate company I worked with and we thought we found a great solution to two problems.

Fast forward 4 months and multiple charges appeared on my visa card. (This was in the early1980's - no computers). One night, late, my neighbor came over late for a gab session and my ex and tenant were sound asleep (different beds, of course). On the kitchen table sat her purse with a charge receipt sticking out. I pulled it out and was actually shocked to find my faux signature.

The confrontation was ugly, as was the discovery of the stolen goods. A police report was filed and felony charges were placed against her. The next stop was the Magistrate's office for an eviction notice. Much to my dismay, the fastest I could get her out was 30 days. Things were so tense, she left on her own.

Renting out any room in your residence should only be done after considering every angle. Come to find out, she was on probation for embezzlement from a bank where she had last worked prior to her real estate job.

This occurred in Northern VA.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I read about that! NYC is completely sided with the renters. This poor woman is being terrorized.
It's not just NYC. It's ALL of NYS. Multi-family homes are up for sale like crazy around me. The landlords can't evict anyone for much even before COVID. Now with COVID, they haven't been able to evict anyone at all since mid-March. They still have mortgages, tax, insurance, and utilities due. They are getting ZERO relief. Meanwhile, the freeloaders got their extra $600 a week and didn't pay rent. Nothing a landlord can do. It's been 5 months and they still are getting screwed over.

Do NOT become a landlord in NYS. The laws have favored the tenants for years. Last year, there was a lot of changes to the legislation and landlords are seriously screwed over now. Tenants can't be evicted for much. They can destroy the place and still get their tiny security back. You can no longer collect first, last, and security. There's even limits on how much can be security. It's such a joke.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Massachusetts has a moratorium on evictions due to the Covid-19 crisis. I can only imagine the poor landlord who has her now without any legal remedy. She has since left this immediate area of Cape Ann and is in the Newbury/NBPT seacoast under one of her aliases; her former married surname so she is not searchable on court record databases. Her youngest (son) was arrested for shoplifting food at a local super market last year. Take from that what you will. Mental illness is a serious societal issue that we have not effectively dealt with.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
^^^Thank goodness that poor landlord isn't you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting