Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Since they vary so much, taking a chance at a claim is never a bad thing if the out of pocket cost you incur are high enough. Of course, companies are really good at hugging you as you make a claim and just as good as whacking your head with a 2X4 by denying the payout.
Yeah. Filing a claim doesn't cost anything, so as long as the expected payout is worth the time spent, it's worth it. For around $300 of value (I got someone from Hyatt to confirm the points spent and their value for the insurance guy), it's definitely worth it to me. I'm not counting my chickens until the check is in my hands, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 11:44 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
Research "quiet enjoyment"

Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind when I said that the place was not, in fact, inhabitable. I'm going to see if my lease says anything about quiet enjoyment to arm myself in the event insurance does a 180.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:52 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Everyone has already weighed in on the habitable/unhabitable, so I'll leave that alone.

I would be concerned about being reviewed for frivolous claims and having my rates taken up. I don't know if that is or should be a concern, but I know that people that make lots of claims on their homeowners policies get dropped oftentimes.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:56 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
"Quiet" in that doctrine does not relate to "Sound". It means you have the exclusive use of without intrusion by the landlord. What you mean is peaceful enjoyment which is able to enjoy the property without disturbances. They are often confused and mistakenly used; fortunately the courts know this and correct the doctrine for you.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Everyone has already weighed in on the habitable/unhabitable, so I'll leave that alone.

I would be concerned about being reviewed for frivolous claims and having my rates taken up. I don't know if that is or should be a concern, but I know that people that make lots of claims on their homeowners policies get dropped oftentimes.
I sincerely doubt that, after filing one single claim (I've never had one before) which the adjuster himself has confirmed is anything but unreasonable, I'd be in any kind of danger. It's a fair general statement, though, but the simple fact that you even had to make it makes me dislike insurance companies even more than I already do. What's the point of having insurance if you have to constantly second-guess yourself about using it?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
"Quiet" in that doctrine does not relate to "Sound". It means you have the exclusive use of without intrusion by the landlord. What you mean is peaceful enjoyment which is able to enjoy the property without disturbances. They are often confused and mistakenly used; fortunately the courts know this and correct the doctrine for you.
Cheers, appreciate the correction. Honestly, to me this isn't any different from having a howling dog next door (something we're also a bit familiar with, but never raised as an issue), except in this case this dog howls nonstop for 48 hours.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:01 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I sincerely doubt that, after filing one single claim (I've never had one before) which the adjuster himself has confirmed is anything but unreasonable, I'd be in any kind of danger. It's a fair general statement, though, but the simple fact that you even had to make it makes me dislike insurance companies even more than I already do. What's the point of having insurance if you have to constantly second-guess yourself about using it?
The point of insurance is generally to make the financially unbearable, bearable.

This thread goes into a little bit more of it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...laim-i-am.html

Now, some people are loony about it. I remember a woman that wanted to pay $7000 out of pocket because she was worried about her insurance going up even though no acccidents in a long time. That is dumb.

But it is worth considering when you make a claim.

Last edited by JONOV; 06-01-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Just got a text and e-mail from my insurance agent. We are getting back almost $390: $85.xx for meals and $304.xx for the hotel stay. For the hotel, he just used the market rate instead of the points value. No complaints there. The weird thing is that they are going to come loaded on a Citi card rather than a check, but who cares.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The point of insurance is generally to make the financially unbearable, bearable.

This thread goes into a little bit more of it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...laim-i-am.html

Now, some people are loony about it. I remember a woman that wanted to pay $7000 out of pocket because she was worried about her insurance going up even though no acccidents in a long time. That is dumb.

But it is worth considering when you make a claim.
I remember when I needed to get my windshield replaced and some people would tell me to pay out of pocket, otherwise risk my insurance premiums going up filing a claim. Considering I've had my insurance through this company for over a year and zero claims, I wasn't worried. Well, some months later and no increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting