Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2greendragons View Post
well everyone wants an edge but do you feel good about that?i think landlords want tenants who pay on time and are good to the property
but discrimination on the basis of having been caught (since most of us have done things we would rather not have announced such as recreational drug use or buying stolen goods perhaps stealing on the internet or perhaps some activity which will be deemed criminal in the future after all christianity was once criminal perhaps being overweight will be criminal someday)
discrimination is never an easy thing to refuse when one is the one who gains from it but it shows american spirit to refuse to use anything but the ability to pay and the tenacity to search
still you might try a number of eye catching means of promoting yourself
I hope it is not the ability to be considered more suitable by another human being
maybe you disagree that the law is discriminating but certainly so do all who win when prejudice gives them an edge it is ultimately between you and your god
Sorry to dissappoint you but I don't believe "most of us have done things we would rather not have announced such as recreational drug use or buying stolen goods perhaps stealing on the internet or perhaps some activity which will be deemed criminal in the future after all christianity was once criminal perhaps being overweight will be criminal someday"...That is what you might have done and some others who come on this forum and complain they can't easily get a rental place...but they were the ones who screwed up. I have many applications from people who never committed a crime...maybe some don't have a great financial background (credit score), but I hardly came across convicted felons....so I still believe that most people don't do these things and are too smart to do it...it is a small group of people who have done and will do these things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 17,280 times
i have an eviction on my record. im trying to move i stay in cincinnati,oh dwntwn. do anybody know where i can move to that utilities included or not included? also my rent can be zero or 25

Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nell22 View Post
i have an eviction on my record. im trying to move i stay in cincinnati,oh dwntwn. do anybody know where i can move to that utilities included or not included? also my rent can be zero or 25
Uh,, 0 or 25 what?

Youd be MUCH better off asking a Cincinnatti specific quesiton on a local message board

Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
When I was looking for a room I was asking very pointed questions about criminal records when shopping around. Though I am somewhat forgiving of certain types of crimes and have a few friends or relatives who are ex-cons I certainly wouldn't want to live with anyone on probation or parole just because I wouldn't want the cops showing up to toss my room too.

I did a few dumb things as a kid but I guess it's a good thing I never got caught!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
How many people check out their landlord's criminal History?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
How many people check out their landlord's criminal History?
I do Their history in general, really. Learned the hard way that it's a two-way street.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
I'd never rent to a person with a criminal history. Used to. Not again. Why? Most don't eveen pay rent and always say tomorrow or next week. Erm, no.

And they expect to be treated like princesses.

I'd rather fully renovate a house and rent it out to someone with no felonies and making $24,000+.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 17,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
Uh,, 0 or 25 what?

Youd be MUCH better off asking a Cincinnatti specific quesiton on a local message board
$0 to $25 thats what

Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
People make one bad choice in their lives and they spend the rest of it trying to shake it. When people commit crimes it is up to the legal system to prosecute. They should not have to be subject to prosecution for the rest of their lives by the rest of society. As tax payers we pay the government to handle such crimes in the court of law. That is the part we play in prosecution. It is not the right of society to deny housing and jobs. This places people in desperate situations where they are more tempted to commit crimes in order to eat or have place to sleep.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
OH, this is the "it's not my fault" "the devil made me do it" rationale.

I bet you are not a landlord.
In general we as individuals should not judge others' past transgressions. But when you have your livelihood (renting your property) dependant on good tenants, you do not take chances. Especially when we have so many non felons trying to rent our property.
Maybe just knowing how hard it is to handle these everyday difficulties, like looking for a job or trying to find a place to rent will keep somebody from making that one "bad decision."

Also figure out how many times these folks got away with "crimes" before they got caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting