Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

After my experience with a convicted felon....NO, NO, NO! They seem to think they are the victim and unless they show that they really have changed and never ever have done it again, than maybe...otherwise, most of them are liers.
Because I'm also doing some volunteer work at our HOA, I have heard all the stories of the convicted felons and they can talk like lawyers (that is how good they think they are), but I have to much respect for lawyers to let these felons get away with their lies and friends and if you look at their past, most have repeated their bad behaviour. I would chose a non felon over a felon and only as a last option I would have a felon as a renter. That is IMO the price they have to pay for the crimes they have done. A sex offender is a huge NO for me...and for the neighborhood and the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:44 PM

29 posts, read 164,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I'm a landlord and have rented apartments without background checks or credit checks. I manage my own buildings and houses.
In the past I rented to Jeffrey Dahmer when he was in the military and lived here. He was in the military and was apparently quiet and not a problem to the neighbors. Who knew? Would a background check or a credit check have made a difference?
I also rent to a sex offender who explained the situation before he applied and he also called his probation officer to get him to call me and give a reccomendation. I took him and he is still with me and a model tenant. The neighbors all know. His situation is a one time charge and stems from a family dispute. He's not a habituale offender. Makes a difference.
Sometimes the background check and credit check is not enough. I like the personal touch. Talking does alot.
I admire that.....

Old 07-12-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
After my experience with a convicted felon....NO, NO, NO! They seem to think they are the victim and unless they show that they really have changed and never ever have done it again, than maybe...otherwise, most of them are liers.
Because I'm also doing some volunteer work at our HOA, I have heard all the stories of the convicted felons and they can talk like lawyers (that is how good they think they are), but I have to much respect for lawyers to let these felons get away with their lies and friends and if you look at their past, most have repeated their bad behaviour. I would chose a non felon over a felon and only as a last option I would have a felon as a renter. That is IMO the price they have to pay for the crimes they have done. A sex offender is a huge NO for me...and for the neighborhood and the kids.
Hi,

I run a marketing firm that also deals with apartment and housing locating. By the way, there is something I have come to learn about sex offenders; did you know that not all of the so-called sex offenses are the same? The term "sex offender" is used to blanket many sex crimes some of which are serious and some of which are extremely minor. Do you as a landlord consider this when that comes up or do you just see a sex offense and instantly red-flag the prospective tenant?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmama View Post
So you're saying even though they have a felony record they are bad people.
The convicted felon has shown a proclivity for being a bad person.

The convicted felon will have to take some time and prove that he is no longer a bad person.

Then, and only then, will people quit being quite as judgmental, but those doubts are never going to go away completely. They may reduce over time, but they will always be there.

Let me ask you a question: Why shouldn't a landlord assume that a felon is a bad person?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Smile Felonies and non-violent crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I realize that in my previous post my friend was charged with a violent crime. I still stand by what I said regarding felonies and non-violent crimes, though.
I agree with you somewhat. Isn't it interesting that apartment complex managers double as managers, judges of character, legal experts and also credit experts?

For instance, when they run a criminal background check and something comes up they immediately disqualify you. They don't care to know the circumstances that surround the felony conviction. Now there are apartments that are disqualifying even for arrest records even if the defendant was found innocent later by a judge. There should be a law against this.

Anyways, I think if a convicted tenant provides a court deposition that shows what truly happened the apartment management should be more considerate. Sometimes the background check doesn't tell the full story....

Old 07-13-2008, 02:51 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjames3000 View Post
Hi,

I run a marketing firm that also deals with apartment and housing locating. By the way, there is something I have come to learn about sex offenders; did you know that not all of the so-called sex offenses are the same? The term "sex offender" is used to blanket many sex crimes some of which are serious and some of which are extremely minor. Do you as a landlord consider this when that comes up or do you just see a sex offense and instantly red-flag the prospective tenant?
For me personal "No", but for the people who have to live close to the tenant it might be different. I wish there were different names for different types of offenders.
I think not of an offender if a guy is 18 and a girl is 15/16 and it was muteral agreed on. Although it seems the law and some parents disagree on that. I feel awful if a person has to be labelled sex offender for that. Where I'm from it is okay and nobody will even bother, even if the parents don't aprove but the boy and girl do.
Rape is of course a different issue and so is a 18 year old with a 12/13 year old or younger child. Don't get on my back for not mentioning all the ages, but I think you understand what I'm saying.
But since I'm a LL and I have to do what is best for the neighbors, I rather not take sex offenders since many times it is not mentioned what the ages are unless it is under 12 and above 12 many different types of offences are possible.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
For me personal "No", but for the people who have to live close to the tenant it might be different. I wish there were different names for different types of offenders.
I think not of an offender if a guy is 18 and a girl is 15/16 and it was muteral agreed on. Although it seems the law and some parents disagree on that. I feel awful if a person has to be labelled sex offender for that. Where I'm from it is okay and nobody will even bother, even if the parents don't aprove but the boy and girl do.
Rape is of course a different issue and so is a 18 year old with a 12/13 year old or younger child. Don't get on my back for not mentioning all the ages, but I think you understand what I'm saying.
But since I'm a LL and I have to do what is best for the neighbors, I rather not take sex offenders since many times it is not mentioned what the ages are unless it is under 12 and above 12 many different types of offences are possible.
I think you've put it beautifully. I have encountered landlords who treat any sex offense as an automatic NO NO even when it was merely a misdemeanor and the person is NOT a registered sex offender. As you said, there are many kinds of sex offenses. For instance there are some US states where public breast-feeding is deemed public lewdness or indecent exposure both of which can result in arrest and later be pulled by a landlord and labelled as sex offenses and used to disqualify the tenant.

I advice my clients to get a court deposition which actually shows what happened.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Keep in mind that in this day and age, not only do LL's need to worry about what tenants they let in but the tenants need to be watchful of the LL's.
There are many deceitful , lying, criminal landlords also.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
Mooning someone now makes you a sex offender.

As does delivering a purple nurple.

And wedgies.

And popping someone with a towel in the locker room.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 13,119 times
What if your felony was over 10 years ago. You sompleted your program, and have worked steadily, and have been ckean and sober ever since?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting