Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:21 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times

Advertisements

It’s not really about my lease. I live in a condo, so there are by laws that everyone has to abide by when living here.

The part I read says “no resident shall make or permit any disturbing noises in the building or do or permit anything to be done therein which will interfere with the rights, comforts or conveniences of other residents.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 05:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
You should read it again because I doubt it is "vague" about loud noise.

In my city, you can make all the loud noise you want between 7:00 am - 10:00 pm. Quiet hours are 10pm to 7am.

Check your lease.
She lives in a community with an HOA...the lease must agree with the bylaws. Your city noise ordinance is one thing, the HOA bylaws are another and wouldn’t allow “all the loud noise you want”.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I have a copy but they’re kinda vague.
Vague? How vague can they be? HOA are generally pretty clear. Need help understanding them? Talk to your landlord or the HOA board/management.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Vague? How vague can they be? HOA are generally pretty clear. Need help understanding them? Talk to your landlord or the HOA board/management.
I posted the section I think is relevant..

The super was very helpful on Saturday..he said to call him, no matter what time, if it happens again..he said they agreed to turn it down. I hope they keep their word. The are obviously not nice people since they seemed to make it louder after I left the note.

I told my landlord about it also, she wasn’t happy.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I posted the section I think is relevant..

The super was very helpful on Saturday..he said to call him, no matter what time, if it happens again..he said they agreed to turn it down. I hope they keep their word. The are obviously not nice people since they seemed to make it louder after I left the note.

I told my landlord about it also, she wasn’t happy.
Good! You told your landlord. Now, let her deal with it through the HOA. Most HOAs won’t give tenants the time of day.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2020, 06:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
Quote:
She lives in a community with an HOA...the lease must agree with the bylaws. Your city noise ordinance is one thing, the HOA bylaws are another and wouldn’t allow “all the loud noise you want”.
I understand that, but she did not state any specific hours of the day when loud noise is not permitted. That, should be stated on her lease.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I understand that, but she did not state any specific hours of the day when loud noise is not permitted. That, should be stated on her lease.
Again, the lease doesn’t have to say it because she lives in an HOA community. The bylaws override lease.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
Quote:
Again, the lease doesn’t have to say it because she lives in an HOA community. The bylaws override lease.
Again, she must have *some* noise ordinance where she lives. Whether that be stated on her lease or by the HOA... every city has some kind of noise laws.

OP, glad you solved your problem!

Old 04-17-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Again, she must have *some* noise ordinance where she lives. Whether that be stated on her lease or by the HOA... every city has some kind of noise laws.

OP, glad you solved your problem!
No, not every city has a noise ordinance.

The HOA bylaws are what govern the community she lives in; not the lease. The lease might address tenant noise (her noise), but it won’t apply to her neighbors whereas the HOA applies to every resident be it renter or owner.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:05 AM

I haven’t had to escalate anything yet, since the super spoke to them.

I ran into them yesterday when I was leaving the apartment, and they gave me a dirty look. I don’t understand what is wrong with people...I left them a note initially to tell them perhaps they didn’t realize how loud the music was and if they could turn it down a bit, to which they respond by making it louder! And now I’m the bad guy because I didn’t just sit and take it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting