Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:13 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
I don't have a credit history. I don't have credit cards. I have no debts and write out checks to pay for everything (including my house). I do have debit cards to pay for other things.
And ?

Not a great way to do things but nothing is ever a problem until Its a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
You don't have to establish credit to show a derogatory account on a report. Unpaid medical bills or utilities that are sent to collections will show on a report, though the debtor hasn't established credit in the traditional way.

This doesn't give a full picture of someone's willingness/ability to pay bills but it's useful in weeding out the biggest offenders a LL would see in screening a tenant.

Unfortunately, being a LL often takes some work that doesn't fit into a box. Good LL's can get past the surface stuff and make good business decisions based on experience. Having rigid requirements with zero wiggle-room is IMO being hard-headed and is detrimental to good operation.

If you're in a dream market and have an abundance of perfect applicants I guess being a LL is easy enough for anyone to do. If you're operating in the real world with real and therefore imperfect people and want to actually get a tenant placed so the property can flow some cash, you might have to work a little.

Last edited by tommy64; 02-15-2021 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
You don't have to establish credit to show a derogatory account on a report. Unpaid medical bills or utilities that are sent to collections will show on a report, though the debtor hasn't established credit in the traditional way.

This doesn't give a full picture of someone's willingness/ability to pay bills but it's useful in weeding out the biggest offenders a LL would see in screening a tenant.
It depends , when it comes to medical debt or utilities not all report to all three agencies...we had a case of ID theft and someone opened up a utility account in my wife’s name .

Looking at two out of the three agencies showed nothing ...good thing we ran all three as we found it on the last one .

Unless you are going to check all three which is rarely done for a tenant as most places that do the checks are members of only one , you may never see that unpaid bill.

Those companies who are able to run back ground and credit checks have to be members of the agency which isn’t cheap so they usually pick one to use .

Old 02-15-2021, 12:14 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And if the new home owner trashes his new house, it is his house that he is trashing and not mine. If he doesn't make the mortgage payments, it is the bank's problem to get him out and not mine.

If the bank wants to let him in, he is the bank's problem. I'm not letting him in to become my problem.

You have to work really hard at it to get a credit score that low. I've seen people with a dozen accounts in collection with better credit scores than that. To have a 580, you have to very consistently not pay any money you owe to anyone. Why would I let someone with a long history of never paying their bills into my expensive house and think I am going to be the one and only account he ever pays on time?

No thanks. But hey, if the banks want to give him a mortgage, he can buy his own house instead of renting.
I'm not arguing that a landlord can't/shouldn't have standards that he will or won't accept. That's fine and up to the landlord, so long as they are not illegal.

But I disagree that its as 'hard' as you think it is to get a 580.

I also disagree that a low credit score is an indicator of whether someone would damage the property. Credit scores are not the singular defining factor of a person's character.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It depends , when it comes to medical debt or utilities not all report to all three agencies...we had a case of ID theft and someone opened up a utility account in my wife’s name .

Looking at two out of the three agencies showed nothing ...good thing we ran all three as we found it on the last one .

Unless you are going to check all three which is rarely done for a tenant as most places that do the checks are members of only one , you may never see that unpaid bill.

Those companies who are able to run back ground and credit checks have to be members of the agency which isn’t cheap so they usually pick one to use .
True. But I have found that if someone has bad credit, hidden or not, it is often accompanied by bad income/job history and some shady court stuff. It's very rare to find a tenant who has great job tenure, zero traffic tickets, and horrible credit.

It's why I think credit is overrated and a better picture is gotten by looking at the three biggies: Credit, Job History & Criminal/Courts.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:29 PM

I always ran credit and back ground through our mgmt company

Old 02-15-2021, 01:24 PM

728 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
And ?

Not a great way to do things but nothing is ever a problem until Its a problem

And the fact that (even though I am not financially unviable) I have no credit score does bother me. Must I borrow money and pay it back in a timely fashion to get a credit score?

Old 02-15-2021, 02:25 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
And the fact that (even though I am not financially unviable) I have no credit score does bother me. Must I borrow money and pay it back in a timely fashion to get a credit score?
Get a credit card (secured if you must). Use it to buy gas and groceries, or other everyday expenses. Pay it off in full every month. Instant good credit score.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Most people have a credit score if any place they deal with reports like utilities, but having a credit score is different from having a high credit score .

You either come back no credit history found or you have a score .

Why dont you check yours and see..Many states allow insurers to factor in your credit score when setting your premiums

Old 02-15-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Get a credit card (secured if you must). Use it to buy gas and groceries, or other everyday expenses. Pay it off in full every month. Instant good credit score.
Not all secured cards report ..be very careful researching the one you use.

Also the credit scores you get from the credit cards are not comprehensive scores which include all sorts of payments ..it is called a bank card score ...it weights credit card usage ..it is used by very few lenders .....lenders like banks , mortgages and auto loans use more comprehensive scores

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-15-2021 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting