Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 02:07 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times

Advertisements

Move. The expectation should be a comfortable place to live with a reasonable landlord and no crazy or noisy neighbors. It may take a while to find so you may not be moving immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlguy View Post
Hi all,

I recently moved into a new place with the intention of this being my long-term home for a while after many short-term rentals (I am an expat, and have been looking for a good 'forever home' in my new country). I asked several questions of the landlord before agreeing to move in, and it turns out he lied on all fronts. Moreover, he's neglected to fix a broken appliance (came with the rental, his responsibility) I've let him know about multiple times (I went the entire month without it being fixed still - the guy is ... well, just utterly dishonest). I am withholding some of the stories to keep this from turning into a rant, but he lives next door and it makes me uncomfortable having him as a neighbor when he can't even be a decent landlord. On top of this, I had a serious problem with another neighbor he flat out refused to help with, and I spent many hours dealing with police reports I had to translate to a foreign language, etc. only for him to come over later and tell me he fixed it for me (****ing lying bastard).

The place itself is nice, the neighbors seem okay, but it's not as sound isolated as he promised, and he is refusing to be of any help in dealing with some of the issues I'm facing in the apartment. I am sick of moving and the housing market is a bit convoluted here as it relies on tourism for lots of the economy, and we are nearing summer again after being locked down the better part of this past year.

I have to decide today, effectively, what to do, as I will leave him with 'last month' of rent if I will leave, or else will need to pay again. I don't like the idea of paying when he's mostly just created problems for me, but at the same time, need to maybe shelve some of my anxieties and concerns to simply keep a better roof than some alternatives over my head (though not better than all, for sure).

TL;DR: Would you put up with a highly dishonest landlord that makes you uncomfortable and lives next door for a good apartment, or take your chances with something new and leave?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting