Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 11:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfinder View Post
So where do people go when they have been evicted? I understand why we are denied but is there any option? Any option at all?
Of course there is. It gets very tiresome when posters ram it home that no decent landlord will accept someone who has an eviction on their record, that you'll end up living in an undesirable area with a slumlord to deal with, etc. etc. That's simply not true and does NOT apply to all landlords. Not ALL landlords do background checks, neither do ALL landlords even ask about previous evictions. Corporate entities, yes and to the man - private landlords, not necessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM

488 posts, read 857,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfinder View Post
So where do people go when they have been evicted? I understand why we are denied but is there any option? Any option at all?
A friend of mine was able to rent two great places (in great neighbourhoods) while an eviction was still on her record. Both places were owned by a regular landlord, no Property Manager or Corporations involved.

In both cases she explained the events that lead to the eviction - which involved a sick mother - and how things were different now, the changes she's made, etc. She owned up to her mistake, plead to their humanity. It worked.

The trick is, don't really be a deadbeat. If was a life mistake that got out of control and resulted in eviction, people can understand. Prove that you can be different and people could be willing to give you the second chance you deserve. Don't ruin that second chance though, because I highly doubt any landlord is willing to be the third chance.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:00 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
If you were evicted, it means that you not only refused to leave when you were asked, but that you left the landlord no other choice but to drag you into court and have a judge to order you to leave.

That's why landlords are so hard-assed about renting to anyone who's been evicted.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No one likes Evictions... it's bad for everyone concerned.

Property owners check for evictions because they do not want to find themselves in the same situation as your previous Landlord... You need to remember that an Eviction is the last step in a long and costly legal process...

I have had a few tenancies that went South for various reasons and have always given the Resident Credit for Voluntarily moving instead of waiting for the Sheriff to appear and be forcibly removed.

My only suggestion is to find someone with no bad credit, steady employment at a wage 4 times the rent and willing to be a co-applicant and co-tenant on the rental agreement...

Sorry, but I don't know of any other way...
I'm not sure why everyone says this. Eviction notice 10 days after rent is late (including "grace period" because in some states, there is no legal grace period), court 10 days after that. That's not a particularly long process.

Although I am aware that it is a long process in some states.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Of course there is. It gets very tiresome when posters ram it home that no decent landlord will accept someone who has an eviction on their record, that you'll end up living in an undesirable area with a slumlord to deal with, etc. etc. That's simply not true and does NOT apply to all landlords. Not ALL landlords do background checks, neither do ALL landlords even ask about previous evictions. Corporate entities, yes and to the man - private landlords, not necessarily.

While what you say is hard to dispute, I would never want to be in the position of looking to rent with a deficiency or with an eviction history.

I'm sure SOME landlords will rent to such a person, but how many landlords would you have to contact to find one? Not going there if I can avoid it.

If it takes three months to find such a landlord, and you have to move in two months, you are screwed.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If you were evicted, it means that you not only refused to leave when you were asked, but that you left the landlord no other choice but to drag you into court and have a judge to order you to leave.

That's why landlords are so hard-assed about renting to anyone who's been evicted.

Landlord had no other choice???

I rent a room from a rampaging angry drunk (who doesn't actually own the house) with no job and no life (he'd rather stay home and watch TV all day, since it facilitates leisurely cheap drinking 24/7).

Since he has entirely too much time on his hands, and since everything in this house is All About Him, eviction is something of a hobby for him.

What if the drunk is the problem and not the evicted tenant? Landlords have plenty of choice, but they don't care who is at fault.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are landlords who specialize in evictees, parolees, felons, and people with bad credit.

The rental will be in a not so nice area and maintenance will be sketchy. You will have to pay an extra high deposit. However, you will have a roof over your head. Pay the rent on time and take good care of the unit and you can earn yourself a good landlord reference. A good landlord reference is valuable when you are trying to move. That's why an evictionis so difficult; that is the very worst landlord reference you could possibly have.

Yes, I am doing contortions in this house to keep the resident rampaging drunk placated, because I don't know how I will ever get another roof over my head if he evicts me. (It's something of a hobby for him, so I never feel safe.)

I'm thinking ahead and the math doesn't work out for me:

Poverty level income + astronomical deposit + pay the inflated rent on time = does not compute.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 AM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
While what you say is hard to dispute, I would never want to be in the position of looking to rent with a deficiency or with an eviction history.

I'm sure SOME landlords will rent to such a person, but how many landlords would you have to contact to find one? Not going there if I can avoid it.

If it takes three months to find such a landlord, and you have to move in two months, you are screwed.

Don't you ever tire of playing the victim? You have excuses for everything in your life and take zero responsibility for the fact that your choices in your life have gotten you to this place. You have to take action to make it better, yet you have a million reasons why you can't and why you are just a victim of your circumstances (that you created). It has to get old.

Some landlords will rent to such a person yes. How many would you have to contact? As many as it takes. You don't want to go there, why not? Wouldn't the time and effort be worth it to move out of the place you are in now? I just don't get it. You're grown. Start taking responsibility for your life, takes some steps to better it instead of constantly griping on the internet about how the world has done you wrong. The world doesn't owe you anything. You'll get out of life exactly what you put into it. How's that working for you? Don't you want better?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Don't you ever tire of playing the victim? You have excuses for everything in your life and take zero responsibility for the fact that your choices in your life have gotten you to this place. You have to take action to make it better, yet you have a million reasons why you can't and why you are just a victim of your circumstances (that you created). It has to get old.

Some landlords will rent to such a person yes. How many would you have to contact? As many as it takes. You don't want to go there, why not? Wouldn't the time and effort be worth it to move out of the place you are in now? I just don't get it. You're grown. Start taking responsibility for your life, takes some steps to better it instead of constantly griping on the internet about how the world has done you wrong. The world doesn't owe you anything. You'll get out of life exactly what you put into it. How's that working for you? Don't you want better?

How did I create the drunk's behavior? Yes, everyone in this house (except the drunk) is a victim.

I have a freaking prepaid phone, where every freaking call costs me money. How many phone calls do you expect me to make under that condition? I'm going to play phone tag with a prospective landlord? I'm going to make as many phone calls as it takes when I have no airtime on my phone?

And NO landlord is going to rent to someone who can't put up an adequate deposit, which is the position I'm in here.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
how did i create the drunk's behavior? Yes, everyone in this house (except the drunk) is a victim.

I have a freaking prepaid phone, where every freaking call costs me money. How many phone calls do you expect me to make under that condition? I'm going to play phone tag with a prospective landlord? I'm going to make as many phone calls as it takes when i have no airtime on my phone?

And no landlord is going to rent to someone who can't put up an adequate deposit, which is the position i'm in here.
get a second and third job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting