Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 AM

390 posts, read 824,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannewright View Post
Well, I am one of those LL who has given a second chance....TWICE! My first renters had to file bankruptcy for medical reasons and parents and one of their kids and fam were moving in together to help each other out. But, no one would rent to them cause of the bankruptcy. We did, w/strict rules and they ended up living there for almost 5 years and were only late on rent 2x and they called and let us know before hand! THey took care of hte place like it was their own. The second renters (different house) had a previous eviction cause they got behind on bills and blah blah. Anyhoo, they wanted to do a lease w/purchase to buy and gave us a big down payment and signed a 3 yr lease. Rules that they take care of all of maintance like it was their own. Here we are 1 1/2 yrs later and it hasn't been all sunshine and flowers, but they pay rent every month (usually a little late but still pay) and LOVE the house like it's already theirs. They are working on getting their loan, which we are hoping will be by end of year. So, we went out of our way to give 2 families a 2nd chance and both have worked out! There are still a few nice people left in the world (or maybe just crazy in this case?!)
God bless you!! There are still good people left in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 PM

115 posts, read 364,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Old thread but entertaining anyway, so here goes...

LOL - cry me a river. Sweetie, I'm in the BUSINESS of renting houses and apartments. It's nothing personal against you. There's lots of families living in the street.

Let me tell you a story - when I was 18 my family lost our business and was so poor we had to live in a tent illegally in the national forest for a summer until after the first snow. We had to shoot jack rabbits and poach fish to EAT! Later on in my life at low points I had to live in my car twice.

Now after a liftime of working hard and going broke twice I am a millionaire - and you feel it is OK to not pay business people like me rent just because it "could have been worse" and because you feel we are rich and can afford it?

Let me ask you this - what would you do if you worked the whole month, and then your boss said, "Gee, I'm sorry, but I can't pay you this month, because I had to get my car fixed. But you have a car that runs so you can afford it." "Oh and by the way I'm not going to make any arrangement to catch up and pay you for your work - ever."

Signed "Heartlesss Landlady"

People are outright evil, heartless, SOBs. If you know how hard it is then you should try to help out because you've "been there". I may have never been homeless but I've came from one of the most miserable crime ridden streets in America. My graduating high school class mourned 6 lost classmates and that was the last three months of 12th grade alone. Friends murdered in broad daylight as I played outside, ducking from drive-by shootings in broad daylight and just happy to see your 18th bday. And you know what.. every chance I get I give back.

A stat show's that 96% of people in America never makes it out of the situation they were born in... the fact that you made it out, the fact that I made it out had little to do with hard work as I've seen people work their a** of just to barely pay rent and eat. It's hard work plus a lot of luck. My mom worked a position for 12yrs just to get passed over for a management position making 2k more for her bosses nephew who had 6mo experience. It's luck, it's who you know, its stars being aligned, it's God, it's Buddha, it's something. That doesn't mean people are just lazy.

You make me want to buy an apartment building just to rent to people who fell on hard times.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Old thread but entertaining anyway, so here goes...

LOL - cry me a river. Sweetie, I'm in the BUSINESS of renting houses and apartments. It's nothing personal against you. There's lots of families living in the street.

Let me tell you a story - when I was 18 my family lost our business and was so poor we had to live in a tent illegally in the national forest for a summer until after the first snow. We had to shoot jack rabbits and poach fish to EAT! Later on in my life at low points I had to live in my car twice.

Now after a liftime of working hard and going broke twice I am a millionaire - and you feel it is OK to not pay business people like me rent just because it "could have been worse" and because you feel we are rich and can afford it?

Let me ask you this - what would you do if you worked the whole month, and then your boss said, "Gee, I'm sorry, but I can't pay you this month, because I had to get my car fixed. But you have a car that runs so you can afford it." "Oh and by the way I'm not going to make any arrangement to catch up and pay you for your work - ever."

Signed "Heartlesss Landlady"

People like you give landlords a bad name. I'm a business owner, too, and guess what? I abide by a strict code of ethics and morals. I open myself up to a small amount of risk just to make sure I'm never screwing someone over. At the end of this life, it won't be the money that you've accumulated that you treasure, but it will be the experiences you've had with other human beings. I've rented out rooms to people, and never once have I kicked someone out on the street, even when they couldn't pay me rent. In one case, I let the tenant sleep in my garage at night, and use a shower until they were able to find another job and secure enough money to move elsewhere. I keep in touch with that guy from time to time, and every year he sends me Christmas cards thanking me, because he's doing great now, and if I had kicked him out on the street, who knows where he'd be at now. I realize this isn't an option for every landlord, but your heartless attitude is what truly worries me.

I get that you had some very rough patches in your life, and I applaud you for overcoming them. But guess what? Most people never recover from being homeless. Once you get into that situation, ESPECIALLY these days, it's nearly impossible to get out of it, and you spend the rest of your life dependent on government handouts (which is honestly probably what the government wants). Decades ago, you could do what you did - essentially live off the land. That is no longer an option in today's world. One of my best friends was kicked out due to a heartless landlord - he was only a month late on his rent, and only owed about $550. He is an Iraq war veteran, a hero - but within a year of retiring from the army, he had gotten laid off, and was unable to find anything else in time. His landlord should be truly ashamed of himself, and karma will some day come around to give him what he deserves... My friend spent a year being homeless, and during that time completely trashed his credit because he couldn't get another job and all his outstanding bills went unpaid. He accumulated a criminal record from getting tickets while living in his car that he could not repay. He also has health problems now from being dehydrated and malnourished for a year. When people get in this situation, it's VERY difficult to get out!!! When you are homeless, it's hard to get a job, it's very easy to earn a criminal record, and your credit gets trashed. You're basically done for unless you luck out and find someone who's willing to give you a chance.

How did I meet this guy? Because I took a chance on him and rented to him (he wasn't homeless when I met him, but he had come from a very bad housing situation where he lived with violent felons, since that's all he could find). He's been by far my best tenant, and has even recently offered to pay me extra for rent since he got a much higher paying job (I refused his offer).

I don't kick people out until they are two months behind on their rent. After they are a month late, I need to hear from them how they plan to come up with rent and repay me, and then I will work with them. Has this backfired on me before? Yes, I ended up losing nearly $1000 on one guy who after two months of not paying rent just up and left without giving me any notice or anything. But guess what? $1000 isn't much in the grand scheme of things, and isn't worth subjecting someone to such a horrible and usually life wrecking situation that is homelessness. And even after I kick people out (I've kicked out a total of four people - three for being two months late on rent, and another for doing drugs), I always make sure they have a place to go.

Last edited by hazergore1198; 07-01-2012 at 01:36 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,608 times
we are going through a 14 day to pay or go through an eviction. We set up a plan with the landlord to catch up in payments and then we got the 14 day notice by the sheriff a couple of days later so we are littled troubled about whats going on. No matter what we are at fault for being behind but i dont know what happened to the agreement we had. We are prepared to go ro court with no counterclaim cause we are willing to pay. At the end of the day I dont think they will let us stay even when we pay them off. I am just worried with this being an eviction and our first one we are not going to be able to find a place. when it comes down to it we hope somebody is out there to give us a chance.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 PM

358 posts, read 471,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
People are outright evil, heartless, SOBs. If you know how hard it is then you should try to help out because you've "been there". I may have never been homeless but I've came from one of the most miserable crime ridden streets in America. My graduating high school class mourned 6 lost classmates and that was the last three months of 12th grade alone. Friends murdered in broad daylight as I played outside, ducking from drive-by shootings in broad daylight and just happy to see your 18th bday. And you know what.. every chance I get I give back.

A stat show's that 96% of people in America never makes it out of the situation they were born in... the fact that you made it out, the fact that I made it out had little to do with hard work as I've seen people work their a** of just to barely pay rent and eat. It's hard work plus a lot of luck. My mom worked a position for 12yrs just to get passed over for a management position making 2k more for her bosses nephew who had 6mo experience. It's luck, it's who you know, its stars being aligned, it's God, it's Buddha, it's something. That doesn't mean people are just lazy.

You make me want to buy an apartment building just to rent to people who fell on hard times.
You are one of the Angels in this world

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM

358 posts, read 471,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
People like you give landlords a bad name. I'm a business owner, too, and guess what? I abide by a strict code of ethics and morals. I open myself up to a small amount of risk just to make sure I'm never screwing someone over. At the end of this life, it won't be the money that you've accumulated that you treasure, but it will be the experiences you've had with other human beings. I've rented out rooms to people, and never once have I kicked someone out on the street, even when they couldn't pay me rent. In one case, I let the tenant sleep in my garage at night, and use a shower until they were able to find another job and secure enough money to move elsewhere. I keep in touch with that guy from time to time, and every year he sends me Christmas cards thanking me, because he's doing great now, and if I had kicked him out on the street, who knows where he'd be at now. I realize this isn't an option for every landlord, but your heartless attitude is what truly worries me.

I get that you had some very rough patches in your life, and I applaud you for overcoming them. But guess what? Most people never recover from being homeless. Once you get into that situation, ESPECIALLY these days, it's nearly impossible to get out of it, and you spend the rest of your life dependent on government handouts (which is honestly probably what the government wants). Decades ago, you could do what you did - essentially live off the land. That is no longer an option in today's world. One of my best friends was kicked out due to a heartless landlord - he was only a month late on his rent, and only owed about $550. He is an Iraq war veteran, a hero - but within a year of retiring from the army, he had gotten laid off, and was unable to find anything else in time. His landlord should be truly ashamed of himself, and karma will some day come around to give him what he deserves... My friend spent a year being homeless, and during that time completely trashed his credit because he couldn't get another job and all his outstanding bills went unpaid. He accumulated a criminal record from getting tickets while living in his car that he could not repay. He also has health problems now from being dehydrated and malnourished for a year. When people get in this situation, it's VERY difficult to get out!!! When you are homeless, it's hard to get a job, it's very easy to earn a criminal record, and your credit gets trashed. You're basically done for unless you luck out and find someone who's willing to give you a chance.

How did I meet this guy? Because I took a chance on him and rented to him (he wasn't homeless when I met him, but he had come from a very bad housing situation where he lived with violent felons, since that's all he could find). He's been by far my best tenant, and has even recently offered to pay me extra for rent since he got a much higher paying job (I refused his offer).

I don't kick people out until they are two months behind on their rent. After they are a month late, I need to hear from them how they plan to come up with rent and repay me, and then I will work with them. Has this backfired on me before? Yes, I ended up losing nearly $1000 on one guy who after two months of not paying rent just up and left without giving me any notice or anything. But guess what? $1000 isn't much in the grand scheme of things, and isn't worth subjecting someone to such a horrible and usually life wrecking situation that is homelessness. And even after I kick people out (I've kicked out a total of four people - three for being two months late on rent, and another for doing drugs), I always make sure they have a place to go.
You too hazergore!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM

113 posts, read 895,454 times
Quote:
the fact that you made it out, the fact that I made it out had little to do with hard work as I've seen people work their a** of just to barely pay rent and eat. It's hard work plus a lot of luck.
That is absolutely correct. It's having the skills/talent at the right place, at the right time.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenos View Post
we are going through a 14 day to pay or go through an eviction. We set up a plan with the landlord to catch up in payments and then we got the 14 day notice by the sheriff a couple of days later so we are littled troubled about whats going on. No matter what we are at fault for being behind but i dont know what happened to the agreement we had. We are prepared to go ro court with no counterclaim cause we are willing to pay. At the end of the day I dont think they will let us stay even when we pay them off. I am just worried with this being an eviction and our first one we are not going to be able to find a place. when it comes down to it we hope somebody is out there to give us a chance.
I had the same thing happen to me at one point a long time ago. I got the eviction notice from the sheriff. I talked to the landlord and all I had to do was pay my rent + late fees + court fees. I didn't have to go to court or anything, and the eviction was dismissed. Wasn't a good situation to be in, though...
Can you pay on time in the future? If so, then just talk to your landlord about it, I bet he/she would be willing to work with you as long as you pay off everything. If not, then you need to be honest and say you can't guarantee that you can pay in the future and that you will voluntarily move out. That way you avoid an eviction on your record.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 AM

189 posts, read 647,773 times
Sadly today your pretty much screwed....banks are not lending period end of story. So rental property is in high demand which is why you have seen rental prices skyrocket nation wide pure greed nothing more.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Quote:

RIGHT ON !!!!!
and I dont even have an eviction but the poster you were addressing here is unreal .Karma is .. well... you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting