Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
When you say 'evict' you mean it required a court judgement to remove you? If yes, I wouldn't lease to you either. If you mean the landlord kicked you out and you left right away, I would consider it. (probably 1st month rent + 2 months security). Lots of people run into unfortunate circumstances. It all depends on how you handled it.
If it is recorded on her credit report, than she must have been officially evicted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If it is recorded on her credit report, than she must have been officially evicted!
Ahhh, good point BB.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I agree. If a landlord had asked you to move and you did, that would be one issue.

If the landlord had to take you to court to get you to move, that is a different issue entirely. That is an automatic no for me, becuase it tells me a certain attitude toward debt.

Even with a cosigner, I won't take someone with a court eviction on their records. Even with 6 months rent and 2 months worth of security deposit up front, I won't take someone with a court eviction on their records. That's just asking for trouble at the end of 6 months.

However, that said, there are some areas that have a lot of vacancies right now in apartments. Those apartment complexes might be more willing to negotiate than usual, so you might be able to find something with a cosigner and/or additional up front money.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
I lived in my apartment for fifteen years, then lost my job and ended up getting evicted. It was awful and I cannot lease an apartment in most places because of it. It is a kiss of death. I am renting a place now, that does not check credit, but that is rare. Sometimes private rentals are easier. I found out my case was closed, so I am going to try to get it off my credit soon. Otherwise, rental companies do not try to understand the reason for eviction. I am not a criminal or did drugs etc, it was a job loss, but they are so strict. I am on section 8 now and on disability and even if you have section 8, most places that accept it, will not accept an eviction on your credit. Check your credit report and call the credit company, such as Ecquifax and ask for the procedure to have it removed. I was only $1,000 past due on my rent when I was evicted. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Look into buying a trailer/mobile home. It's usually as cheap or cheaper than renting, and you would own it so no worry about paying rent or being evicted. You can usually find one for around $2000 - 3000.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree about how you handle it. The thing I did was wrong. I kept thinking I could get the money and find a job and then I was so afraid and stressed I did not go to court, which was a mistake. I was just afraid and had never had the experience of being evicted and a sheriff coming to the door. It was awful.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Look into buying a trailer/mobile home. It's usually as cheap or cheaper than renting, and you would own it so no worry about paying rent or being evicted. You can usually find one for around $2000 - 3000.
That is unrealistically low, unless it's half burned down. Plus, you need land, so if you rent a space in a trailer park, you still have rent albeit probably less.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:31 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
That is unrealistically low, unless it's half burned down. Plus, you need land, so if you rent a space in a trailer park, you still have rent albeit probably less.
Yeah, I read that post and LOL! I could not imagine that a trailer that cheap would be in any way fit for human occupancy.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Look around for people who manage their own rental and don't do a credit check. They are out there but you might have to do some creative hunting.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 20,651 times
Just because someone has bad luck or has an uptight landlord, EVERYBODY deserves a second chance and maybe even a third chance. Every situation is different and as a landlord my tenants are usually on there last leg and are willing to make the changes necessary to fullfil their agreement to pay their month to month rental obligations. Some people really have a valid excuse for their situation. It takes some investigation on the landlords part but sometimes its worth taking a chance on someone in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting