Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,805 times

Advertisements

There is hope there always is! I had an eviction 2 years ago due to going thru a divorce it happens to good people too and you are not alone. But I live in Texas and 2 years with one year of good rental history you can get an apartment no problem. But I would recommend you find a home for rent by owner that is more easy to find then an apartment that takes evictions apartments have to follow the property management rules. Search homes for rent by owner. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyD View Post
T The place we have is not good for young children. Both me and my husband have steady jobs. What should I do?

We live in Hinesburg VT and want to live anyplace thats close to burlington VT
Tell your husband to rent you a place.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Tell your husband to rent you a place.
I would take a wild guess that the poster you're talking to has had her problem long since resolved since she posted 7 years ago.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I would take a wild guess that the poster you're talking to has had her problem long since resolved since she posted 7 years ago.
I saw that as soon as I see a lot of posts I check the OP post date, I just felt like chiming in.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
Even though this is old post, I'm saying this for anyone in similar circumstance...

My husband and I use to take people with prior evictions if they weren't real recent, however we no longer do because many have been repeat evictions now.

If a tenant can no longer pay, and knows it, best thing is to get out ASAP before landlord files in court to avoid it.. So many just sit and wait it out now. Which is why LL won't take them because they know they lived somewhere basically for free not paying, LL wants to avoid this and the court fees that come along with evictions, not to mention the loss of money LL face because tenants just sit for free during the process, iv never seen a dime from any tenant we evicted and never will because they don't care. This is why we have become stricter on this.

Best bet would be to try and find rentals that are independently owned. Like just my husband and I, we rent out single family and duplex homes. Apartment buildings will probably be most strit.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,644 times
Hello dear,
All hope is not lost! Some property managers actually do have a heart but as you have seen they are few and far between. A property manager who would accept you with your evictions will be looking for you to make payment arrangements with your past landlord. Also, the arrangements should be something you can feasibly afford in addition to the rent at the new place you are applying for. It is all about effort. Some situations are beyond our control but if you at least are correcting this, you'd be suprise that someone will lease an apartment to you!

I'm an apartment manager!

Old 06-25-2015, 04:54 PM

34 posts, read 39,051 times
This unfortunate situation is about power and humiliation, not LL security.

The proof is in the numbers.
If it were ONLY about business, money in the form of security deposits and or a co-signer would take care of it.

None of the LL who commented mentioned a single reasonable requirement such as, the tenant showing proof that owed rent had been satisfied, or a good rental history post eviction.

Nope.

So if 5 years ago....you lost your job, but, instead of running out in the middle of the night, showed up to court, then paid that LL back, like you said you would, it doesn't matter?

So the message here is it's better to sneak off, and not pay the LL back because you'll be treated the same as if you didn't.

This type of management/LL are nothing less than unethical monsters.

They see eviction as an invitation to humiliate or enforce absurd demands, like the person on here who said they would accept someone with an eviction, if they paid additional $, but they'd have to get rid of their pet, even though they normally accept pets.

BTW, "pet rent", like charging for children is unethical.
The only reason it's not illegal, like "child rent" is because, back when they made those laws, no one guessed that one day LLs would stoop so low as to charge "pet rent", so the law only applies to people.

News flash; LL do not write the book on ethics. Eviction in one's past should NOT bar them from acquiring housing, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'VE PAID OFF DEBT, CAN MEET ABOVE AND BEYOND SECURITY REQUIREMENTS AND/ OR HAVE A CO-SIGNER.

These LL are at best, adding to a system of desperation in America and at worst, simply evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyD View Post
This question is for landlords, please give me some advice.

I have an eviction on my credit and I need a place. The apartment I live in is not good for my daughters. And the eviction was something I couldnt fix. I was a single mom. We got a 3 bedroom place, everything was great and then he just left. Didnt take him self off the lease and wouldnt pay for when he did live there. I was paying for everything plus daycare and I had enough money to pay for the place alone for 2 months. Had a friend said she would move in her and her brother in 2 months. The day before she moved in she said she wasnt ready to leave home. I did all I could but I just couldnt pay everything alone. My old roomate never got off the lease and I couldnt find him to take him to court.
Im not a bad person and I will never do a roomate again and will only get places i know i can do alone. I moved to VT to be close to family and I need a new place. The place we have is not good for young children. Both me and my husband have steady jobs. What should I do?

We live in Hinesburg VT and want to live anyplace thats close to burlington VT

Last edited by Tahdah; 06-25-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 PM

34 posts, read 39,051 times
Your attitude is about power and humiliation, not LL security.

If it were ONLY about business, money in the form of security deposits and or a co-signer would take care of it.

You never mentioned a single reasonable requirement such as, the tenant showing proof that owed rent had been satisfied, or a good rental history post eviction.

Nope.

So if 5 years ago....you lost your job, but, instead of running out in the middle of the night, showed up to court, then paid that LL back, like you said you would, it doesn't matter?

So the message here is it's better to sneak off, and not pay the LL back because you'll be treated the same as if you didn't.

They see eviction as an invitation to humiliate or enforce absurd demands, like the person on here who said they would accept someone with an eviction, if they paid additional $, but they'd have to get rid of their pet, even though they normally accept pets.

Just sick.

People like you are proof that today's tenants (...and no, I'm not talking about leeching tenants, but good tenants who have paid off debt) need a new set of laws to protect them from horrible LLs with unfair practices.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahdah View Post
Your attitude is about power and humiliation, not LL security.

You never mentioned a single reasonable requirement such as, the tenant showing proof that owed rent had been satisfied, or a good rental history post eviction.

Nope.

Just sick.

People like you are proof that today's tenants (...and no, I'm not talking about leeching tenants, but good tenants who have paid off debt) need a new set of laws to protect them from horrible LLs with unfair practices.
If the above were true, LL's would be doing backflips to put former evictee's into their properties.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If the above were true, LL's would be doing backflips to put former evictee's into their properties.
Don't feed the troll and he will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting