Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 04:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I agree. If a landlord had asked you to move and you did, that would be one issue.

If the landlord had to take you to court to get you to move, that is a different issue entirely. That is an automatic no for me, becuase it tells me a certain attitude toward debt.

Even with a cosigner, I won't take someone with a court eviction on their records. Even with 6 months rent and 2 months worth of security deposit up front, I won't take someone with a court eviction on their records. That's just asking for trouble at the end of 6 months.

However, that said, there are some areas that have a lot of vacancies right now in apartments. Those apartment complexes might be more willing to negotiate than usual, so you might be able to find something with a cosigner and/or additional up front money.

Well I've had a landlord ask me to leave immediately and I did and still had an eviction show up on my record. So what the hell are you talking about? You people act like people try to get evicted on purpose. "Oh let me move here and not pay rent so I can screw up my credit even more." Come on! No one is going to try to move somewhere that they can't handle. Past evictions doesn't automatically mean someone can't handle their business in the present and future. SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbothered View Post
"Oh let me move here and not pay rent so I can screw up my credit even more." Come on! No one is going to try to move somewhere that they can't handle.
Its nice for you that you believe that is true.

This very month, we evicted a tenant who had lived in our rental less than 6 weeks.

They filled out an application and everything checked out, so we signed a lease. They wrote us a check for deposit + prorated first month rent, and immediately moved in. We allow this as long as their credit doesn't show any bounced checks and the check is on a local bank. Their check bounced. We called and their phones had been disconnected (all 3 numbers, that had all worked the day we signed the lease). We posted an eviction notice that day and started the process. They brought a partial payment to our office. We explained that it would be applied to the bounced check fee with remainder going to deposit and the eviction was going to proceed (legal in my state, suggested by my attorney and explained in the lease). They promised to have the rest by that Friday (2 days later). On Monday, when they hadn't paid the rest, we filed with the courts. They were a no show for the hearing, and moved before the sheriff showed up.

Upon further investigation, the guy lost his job the day between when we did our application checks and the lease was signed, so he lied about his employment on the lease, since he wrote that he was still employed there. He said he had a 40 pound Boxer, when in fact, his dog was big and mean, maybe 150 pounds. He lied about the total number of occupants, since his sister and her kids also moved in.

These people moved in KNOWING that their check was no good. If they hadn't known, they would have been able to make good on it after being served. They lied about at least 3 things, knowing that the application and lease both state that if we find out they lied, it is grounds for eviction.

I'm glad evictions are relatively quick in my state. From the day they moved in until the day the house was empty was just over 5 weeks. It would have been faster, but they had to move the hearing back by a week because the people were dodging the process server, so it took a bit more time to get them served.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
^^^Unfortunately these things happen all the time and renters with not-so-good credit and references have to understand that most landlords just can't take the chance that you're the exception. They've heard all the stories, they've given chances to people and have too often got a very hard and swift kick in the arse and the wallet by doing so.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbothered View Post
Well I've had a landlord ask me to leave immediately and I did and still had an eviction show up on my record. So what the hell are you talking about? You people act like people try to get evicted on purpose. "Oh let me move here and not pay rent so I can screw up my credit even more." Come on! No one is going to try to move somewhere that they can't handle. Past evictions doesn't automatically mean someone can't handle their business in the present and future. SMH.
Also, if you were asked to vacate and did, without a 3 day (or whatever time your state requires) notice to pay or quit was served, or before the 3 days was over, and had the place empty and clean, with keys turned in, your landlord should not have filed for a unlawful detainer, which is what makes the eviction show up on your record. In order to get the eviction, they have to serve you. If you had shown up at the hearing, and told the judge you were out prior to the unlawful detainer being served, you would have won, and you probably could have gotten the unlawful detainer filing removed from your record.

Usually what happens in this case is that the tenant moves out, but either doesn't remove all their stuff, so the landlord still has to go through the eviction process, or else does take all their stuff, but never returns possession, in which case, again, the LL still may have to evict to regain possession.

A landlord isn't going to just file for eviction on an empty house for no reason. I'm in a state with cheap, easy evictions, and even here, it costs around $450 in attorney fees to have everything prepared and served. If the house was empty, clean and keys turned in, why spend that money?

Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,311 times
Where in salem or Keizer, Oregon can be approved for renting a 2 bedroom duplex / house/apartment / or town house, with our section 8,
When we have a
(RECENT... )past due bill from S. M. I. ...
WE HAVE PAID APP FEES, & BEEN DENIED ON *ALL 6* RENTAL APPLICATIONS WE have applied for!. .. : (
I " NEEED" A "HOME" FOR MY CHILD & I ASAP.. ..(BEEN HOMELESS OVER 6 WEEKS SO FAR!....
SOMEONE PLLLEASE HELP US as soon as possible.....
Thank you all.......

P.S....
MY 6 YR OLD SON (& I) *NEED* OUR OWN HOME PLLLEASE!!.... :'(

.......DIANNE......

Old 11-22-2014, 11:47 AM

292 posts, read 1,244,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlowski406 View Post
Where in salem or Keizer, Oregon can be approved for renting a 2 bedroom duplex / house/apartment / or town house, with our section 8,
When we have a
(RECENT... )past due bill from S. M. I. ...
WE HAVE PAID APP FEES, & BEEN DENIED ON *ALL 6* RENTAL APPLICATIONS WE have applied for!. .. : (
I " NEEED" A "HOME" FOR MY CHILD & I ASAP.. ..(BEEN HOMELESS OVER 6 WEEKS SO FAR!....
SOMEONE PLLLEASE HELP US as soon as possible.....
Thank you all.......

P.S....
MY 6 YR OLD SON (& I) *NEED* OUR OWN HOME PLLLEASE!!.... :'(

.......DIANNE......
I'd post this to the Salem, Oregon, forums to get better suggestions.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:40 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlowski406 View Post
........ with our section 8,........(RECENT... )past due bill from S. M. I. .........I " NEEED" A "HOME" FOR MY CHILD & I ASAP..........MY 6 YR OLD SON (& I) *NEED* OUR OWN HOME PLLLEASE!!.... :'( ............
Sorry, but no landlord cares whether or not you NEED a home. The landlord wants to know that you can pay the rent and that you will not damage the dwelling. Every applicant who applies NEEDS a home, no exception. Needing a home does not make you stand out from the pack. No matter whom the landlord accepts, that person also needs a home.

Were you kicked out of low income housing because you didn't pay your rent? That recent past due payment for rent money is gong to make it very difficult for you.

Housing that accepts Section 8 is very difficult to come by. There are lots of applicants who apply and the landlord can pick and chose which he will take. He is unlikely to chose a tenant who got kicked out of their last Section 8 dwelling because they didn't pay their small share of the rent.

When you do find another place to live, make that rent payment your number one priority. If your child has to go without food, pay your rent. If you get thrown out of two Section 8 houses, you can forget every finding another place to live.

If you can not pay your small share of the rent costs, you should be going back to your case worker to see if your percentage of the rent can be lowered. If your kid is hungry, manage your food stamps better. There is really no excuse that is acceptable for not paying your rent in Section 8 housing. If you expect someone to give you another break, you'd best tune up your behavior first.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
You have the money for a computer/smartphone and can pay for an internet connection but not the rent?

If you straighten out your priorities someone might be willing to help you. otherwise you're displaying the behavior others want to avoid including the people that have homes to rent.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
I think that landlord is money. Hunger

Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,138 times
Yes because a phone which you can get for free is the same value as a rent? That makes no sense at all and your rant about priorities is dumb. Donald trump is a millionaire and even him had to file for bankruptcy, Stuff happens!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You have the money for a computer/smartphone and can pay for an internet connection but not the rent?

If you straighten out your priorities someone might be willing to help you. otherwise you're displaying the behavior others want to avoid including the people that have homes to rent.

Last edited by ladyoftheglass; 01-03-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting