Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

discovered? are they priviliged and confidential info like credit reports, avail only to landlords, or are they public record on a central database, or are they discovered on civil court searches housing court searches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM

24 posts, read 111,173 times
Well I have an eviction from 6 years ago and I am married with 3 kids and I have a good job my husband does too, I am about to be homeless. I get it that you landlords are scared that I will do it to you but oh my gosh have a little compassion, I have three little ones about to be on the street with me. I had to use my savings to move to fix my car *twice* I took my car to shop and he ruined it beyond belief and I had to thn pay again to get that fixed, I'm about to file a civil lawsuit against the shop no not with a lawyer on my own. I could evict a tenant without a lawyer so why do you landlords sit their and talk about the cost??? My past landlord owned the property free and clear and is out rental income but the place was clean & I was never a nuisance, it could of been worst. I wont give my excuse cause apparantly you landlords are heartless.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
Old thread but entertaining anyway, so here goes...

LOL - cry me a river. Sweetie, I'm in the BUSINESS of renting houses and apartments. It's nothing personal against you. There's lots of families living in the street.

Let me tell you a story - when I was 18 my family lost our business and was so poor we had to live in a tent illegally in the national forest for a summer until after the first snow. We had to shoot jack rabbits and poach fish to EAT! Later on in my life at low points I had to live in my car twice.

Now after a liftime of working hard and going broke twice I am a millionaire - and you feel it is OK to not pay business people like me rent just because it "could have been worse" and because you feel we are rich and can afford it?

Let me ask you this - what would you do if you worked the whole month, and then your boss said, "Gee, I'm sorry, but I can't pay you this month, because I had to get my car fixed. But you have a car that runs so you can afford it." "Oh and by the way I'm not going to make any arrangement to catch up and pay you for your work - ever."

Signed "Heartlesss Landlady"

Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM

460 posts, read 982,334 times
I will never rent to someone with an eviction on their record. It shows lack of regard for the landlord and their personal finances. It shows you were too stubborn/unresponsible and ignored the written notice before the unlawful detainer.

People lose their jobs and part of the real world is to move on to a cheaper place.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I lived in my apartment for fifteen years, then lost my job and ended up getting evicted. It was awful and I cannot lease an apartment in most places because of it. It is a kiss of death. I am renting a place now, that does not check credit, but that is rare. Sometimes private rentals are easier. I found out my case was closed, so I am going to try to get it off my credit soon. Otherwise, rental companies do not try to understand the reason for eviction. I am not a criminal or did drugs etc, it was a job loss, but they are so strict. I am on section 8 now and on disability and even if you have section 8, most places that accept it, will not accept an eviction on your credit. Check your credit report and call the credit company, such as Ecquifax and ask for the procedure to have it removed. I was only $1,000 past due on my rent when I was evicted. Good luck.

Even section 8 units have landlords that do not accept evictions. Kiss of death- that's brutal. Do you know if these policies vary by state?

Last edited by AngusHsu; 06-21-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I agree. If a landlord had asked you to move and you did, that would be one issue.

If the landlord had to take you to court to get you to move, that is a different issue entirely. That is an automatic no for me, becuase it tells me a certain attitude toward debt.

Even with a cosigner, I won't take someone with a court eviction on their records. Even with 6 months rent and 2 months worth of security deposit up front, I won't take someone with a court eviction on their records. That's just asking for trouble at the end of 6 months.

However, that said, there are some areas that have a lot of vacancies right now in apartments. Those apartment complexes might be more willing to negotiate than usual, so you might be able to find something with a cosigner and/or additional up front money.
If the tenant moved after given a 30-day notice by the landlord and there is no eviction on the record, how would you treat the tenant differently?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
If the tenant moved after given a 30-day notice by the landlord and there is no eviction on the record, how would you treat the tenant differently?
If the tenant is asked to move and complies, that at least shows a level of responsibility. If they then make payments back to the landlord over time for what they owe, that shows a lot about responsibility. Both of those things would count as positives. Things do happen in life, and sometimes, people can't live up to their obligations, but the right way to handle that is to move out without making the LL incur more expense, and then make good on at least the lost rent/any damages over time, even if it is just $20/month.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,888,235 times
Not paying rent is not neccesarily a message to the landlord that they don't have respect for them. There are many reasons one can find themselves risking eviction-job loss, roommate backing out on their part, medical crisis, etc. An eviction shouldn't mean the kiss of death on ever finding a home again. People who own property are generally given more time to rectify the situation, plus there are agencies out there to help homeowners. In some states, all it takes is 7 days before they are kicked out. Think about that. Would you liked your whole life affected by one bad week?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM

390 posts, read 824,787 times
Rent out a room on Craigslist. I own a very large six bedroom house, and I rent out some bedrooms to people I find on Craigslist (I live in the house too). Some of my best renters were people who had evictions on their record, and they became some of my best friends as well. I've found people with evictions on their record are so grateful to find a place to live, that they go out of their way to be neat, polite, and responsible. I was just extremely strict with them - I required two months rent as a security deposit, and if they were late at all with their rent, I stayed on top of them. The only people I ever had to kick out were those who did NOT have evictions on their record. And in those cases, I let them sleep in the garage and use a bathroom to shower until they found a job so they would not be homeless. I had a guy I rented to with an eviction on his record who while living with me graduated college, got a nice $50k a year job, and then was able to secure an apartment for himself thanks to a reference from me confirming that he rented with me and paid on time for nearly three years.
Nobody wants to give anyone a second chance these days, and I find it really sad. I understand protecting yourself from undue risk, but when people won't even consider someone with an eviction on their record, I find it completely stupid. As I said earlier, people with evictions in their record were some of my favorite renters because they were so grateful for a place to stay. Someone's credit and rental history can be poor indicators of their quality as a tenant (unless they have something like 10+ years of solid credit and rental history, but I always rented to younger people) - I found that a lengthy face to face interview was a far better way to judge how they'd be as a tenant; but maybe I'm just a good judge of character. I had people with good credit and solid rental history who were horrible tenants - they complained about everything and had this self-righteous sense of entitlement.
In a twist of fate, I myself was evicted (well, more asked to move out and I did - I was not forcibly removed by a sheriff, though a sheriff did deliver an eviction notice to me) a while back before owning my current house (I couldn't get a home loan for it because banks are so ridiculous these days, especially to people who are self employed, so my family and I just paid cash for the house and bought it outright - that'll show those banks), and I have terrible credit from my business taking a nosedive after a bad business deal (the other party even went to prison, but I didn't get my money back), and so I'm stuck in my house and cannot find a place to live in the DFW area because nobody will accept my application since I have bad credit and a was evicted a few years back - despite the fact that I have enough money to pay for two years of rent up front. I want to move my business to the DFW area but can't find a nice place to live so may end up having to stay here...

Last edited by hazergore1198; 06-29-2012 at 12:54 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 AM

244 posts, read 1,227,860 times
Well, I am one of those LL who has given a second chance....TWICE! My first renters had to file bankruptcy for medical reasons and parents and one of their kids and fam were moving in together to help each other out. But, no one would rent to them cause of the bankruptcy. We did, w/strict rules and they ended up living there for almost 5 years and were only late on rent 2x and they called and let us know before hand! THey took care of hte place like it was their own. The second renters (different house) had a previous eviction cause they got behind on bills and blah blah. Anyhoo, they wanted to do a lease w/purchase to buy and gave us a big down payment and signed a 3 yr lease. Rules that they take care of all of maintance like it was their own. Here we are 1 1/2 yrs later and it hasn't been all sunshine and flowers, but they pay rent every month (usually a little late but still pay) and LOVE the house like it's already theirs. They are working on getting their loan, which we are hoping will be by end of year. So, we went out of our way to give 2 families a 2nd chance and both have worked out! There are still a few nice people left in the world (or maybe just crazy in this case?!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting