Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 01:52 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Upstairs neighbor was playing with their dog last night............at 10PM! Even if we hadn't been in bed yet, of which we were, they would know that we live right below them. There are those that have to get up each weekday morning at 6:15 to get ready for work and need their sleep! If we were their age, we might not care so much, but they are young enough to be our grandkids. Again, this boils down to words of "consideration", "respect" and "courtesy" to those sleeping below or to an apartment on either side.

Our last next-door neighbor, before they moved, would make all kinds of noise in their kitchen at 1AM. In fact, the husband and his brother were making so much noise, they didn't even hear us pound on the wall. We sent the manager a message and she sent them a message. He sent her a message back stating "I'm sorry". Unfortunately, even though he said "I'm sorry" the noise continued at 1 AM. Sent the manager another message and she told us "next is going to court to get an eviction notice". We told her, "We don't want them to be evicted, we just want them to quiet down at that time of night." The finally quieted down, but after the year of Pandemic, rents when up here and they decided to move.

Now, we surely didn't want this neighbor to be evicted, but if it came to that, so be it. We need our sleep/rest and the respect of being Seniors/Elders.

Old 02-28-2023, 02:56 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Respect is EARNED not given just cause your Old!

Old 02-28-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Respect is EARNED not given just cause your Old!
Definitely NOT the way many Seniors see it! IOW, most go by the saying “respect your elders” of which many don’t. Then again when they become a Senior, they will understand much better.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Why don't you switch to an upstairs unit? Sounds like it would resolve about 80% of your complaints.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Why don't you switch to an upstairs unit? Sounds like it would resolve about 80% of your complaints.
Because of my hip replacement I had and going up and down stairs is just too physical for us. From what I understand, most Seniors that own a 2-story home, and their bedroom is upstairs, they either sell and by a “ranch” single level home or have a bedroom put in downstairs.

IOW, most Seniors can’t do stairs anymore. I know we can’t.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:51 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Respect has be earned. There is plenty of housing with elevator service.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:08 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Because of my hip replacement I had and going up and down stairs is just too physical for us. From what I understand, most Seniors that own a 2-story home, and their bedroom is upstairs, they either sell and by a “ranch” single level home or have a bedroom put in downstairs.

IOW, most Seniors can’t do stairs anymore. I know we can’t.
Many apartments have elevators. Seek out one of those and get on the top floor.

And no, respect is not earned simply by aging. I respect many older folks. Some I do not because they don’t behave in ways I respect. No different than I feel about folks of any age.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Many apartments have elevators. Seek out one of those and get on the top floor.

And no, respect is not earned simply by aging. I respect many older folks. Some I do not because they don’t behave in ways I respect. No different than I feel about folks of any age.
Living somewhere with elevators would be costly! We don’t have that kind of money.

We respect young people who show us respect concerning noise. I’ll say this AGAIN, the young couple that now live above us, KNOW that we live below them. They just seem not to care! No respect, consideration or courtesy towards us!

We have had upstairs neighbors that were much, much quieter. They knew they lived above someone, so they showed consideration, courtesy and respect for us. The were excellent neighbors!!

Old 02-28-2023, 06:04 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
This whole thing makes me think about the tourist that visits China and gets mad when they only have Chinese food. The tourist just doesn't understand why the Chinese don't respect an American enough to make American food. So the tourists rants, continues to look for American food and never eats.

The tourist either needs to adapt to Chinese food, or get the heck out of China.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This whole thing makes me think about the tourist that visits China and gets mad when they only have Chinese food. The tourist just doesn't understand why the Chinese don't respect an American enough to make American food. So the tourists rants, continues to look for American food and never eats.

The tourist either needs to adapt to Chinese food, or get the heck out of China.
And, you don’t rant about anything? We have very valid rants here and other Seniors have told us we do. And, it isn’t just Seniors we heard from, it’s also families with young kids that go to bed early and have noisy neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.