Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,412,197 times

Advertisements

Hey HappyRider... the last Cutlass wasn't great, but it certainly was a better car than the Alero. I thought it really sucked that GM killed off the Cutlass at the end of 1999, but facelifted the Malibu in 2000 and never changed it again until 2004. The last Olds could easily have been a Cutlass and not an Alero. Based on the standard set by the Malibu, a 2004 Cutlass looking like a 1997 Cutlass wouldn't be unusual at all.

Anyway, it's ironic that the Cutlass you pictured (in Manoa Shopping Center, Havertown, I recognized it instantly!) has a Rothrock stamp on the back. Rothrock was a Chevy dealership in Springfield that also sold Lotus cars, which must have started when GM owned Lotus from 1986 to 1993. They went out of business when GM went bankrupt in 2008. Fairly recently, the Rothrock property was taken over by Piazza Honda, which moved from Drexel Hill and get this... also sold Oldsmobile on the same lot, but in a different building, than Honda. Not sure but I believe they stopped selling Oldsmobile cars new around 2002, before the very end of the brand, but kept performing warranty service until 2007 (which would have been the 110th anniversary of Oldsmobile).

Anyway, here's something you really should know if you miss Oldsmobile as it once was: there's an abandoned Chevy/Oldsmobile dealership on Fayette Street in Conshohocken (I believe EF Moore was the name) that after closing about ten years ago, still has a mid-90's Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (a totally different model than the Cutlass you hate) sitting in the dark showroom! And if you don't like that car, a 60's/70's Oldsmobile (I forget what model but I think it might be a 442) is also there.

What's even stranger than the fact these two are still there (and in much better condition than the dealership property, LOL) is that Armen Cadillac, also in Conshohocken but on Ridge Pike, sold Oldsmobiles at the same time as the place that closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 05:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,412,197 times
I so wish what used to be Piazza Honda/Signature Oldsmobile in Drexel Hill could become a Cadillac dealership, but sadly it's getting knocked down for a drive-thru pharmacy CVS that surely will make traffic even worse at Township Line and Burmont than it is now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands