Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,324,541 times

Advertisements

I hwasad parked somewhere when I noticed a smallish car that looked sort of familiar. It looked like a 90s Chevy or something. On closer examination I noticed it was an Olds, a Cutlass no less. How the mighty have fallen. GM turned an icon into this little crap that is indistinguishable from half a dozen run of the mill compacts of the time. Once people stopped buying them, GM declared that Olds doesn't sell. They did the same thing with Pontiac and other full size models. They keep using nameplates that have no business being on models they sell. How's the Impala doing? Don't see very many of them. And GM is not alone. Look at the Dart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 PM

807 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I hwasad parked somewhere when I noticed a smallish car that looked sort of familiar. It looked like a 90s Chevy or something. On closer examination I noticed it was an Olds, a Cutlass no less. How the mighty have fallen. GM turned an icon into this little crap that is indistinguishable from half a dozen run of the mill compacts of the time. Once people stopped buying them, GM declared that Olds doesn't sell. They did the same thing with Pontiac and other full size models. They keep using nameplates that have no business being on models they sell. How's the Impala doing? Don't see very many of them. And GM is not alone. Look at the Dart.

Have you been living under a rock for the past 30+ years?

All American manufacturers have been doing this for a while.

That Olds is also a Chevy Malibu.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM

389 posts, read 617,840 times
So why Plymouth? The Prowler is pretty cool.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,514,034 times
Because Plymouth got tarnished with a Neon model of its own.

That was their sign.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:34 AM

17,660 posts, read 17,790,535 times
That was a temporary model until the release of the Oldsmobile Alero.Oldsmobile Alero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,860,395 times
Here is a Cutlass. Identical to the one I owned. Oldsmobile 442 Cutlass 442 Black Hardtop Only 9K Original Miles | eBay

Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,839,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

The Impala, and Malibu...are sadly, outselling the SS/Caprice

Old 11-13-2014, 05:25 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,054,403 times
Welcome to 1999 much?

Lets not forget as far as GM divisions go, they all were heavily into mostly badge engineered products at the time. That said, Oldsmobile was one of the few unique divisions, in that it had mostly unique flagship in the Aurora.

Besides, the division carried on 5 more model years beyond the cancellation of that Cutlass. It alone was not Olds demise, but overall poor corporate management by GM and the fact that increased competition over the years made fielding tons of brands selling mostly the same cars a poor automotive business strategy. (Notice the other big automakers do not need to see sell badge engineered vehicles under a dozen "brands" all with a different marketing message to be successful).

Old 11-13-2014, 05:31 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,054,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
The Impala, and Malibu...are sadly, outselling the SS/Caprice
This is no surprise at all. The Impala and Malibu are their mass market large and midsize sedans. The SS is an ultra low volume, niche player with a starting sticker price up near $45K.

There is no expectation from anyone that the SS would be a volume seller.

The Impala is down a little from last year, but has topped 100K units this year. Also, since they are selling for much higher prices with far fewer incentives than the outgoing model, GM is likely actually making money on them instead of losing, making the small drop in overall sales palatable. (Beyond that, some lower sales may even be expected due to the new model roll out and need to stock the supply line).

Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,282,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
So why Plymouth? The Prowler is pretty cool.
Pretty cool looking. It was underpowered, drove like crap, handeled like crap, only available in an automatic with a V6. It was destined to fail even before it got started
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands