Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,351,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

And your point is.....?

If federal employees get raises based on private sector raises...
then their raises are based on private sector cost of living and
merit raises.

According to the Feds... since there was no inflation in 2009
and likely none in 2010... a cost of living increase is not needed.
At least if you're on SS or SSI, etc.

Since all federal employees received raises in 2009 and are scheduled
to receive raises in 2010, I guess their raises are all based on merit.

~

Last edited by king's highway; 08-04-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,382,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Let me guess: you received an e-mail in your inbox that had been fw:fw:fw:fw ad nauseum advising you of this "fact."

Wait...wait... you read it on the Internet so it must be true, right?

Do you always get ticked off by baseless urban legends?

Here's some advice for you: next time you read or hear about something completely ridiculous and idiotic, do some research before posting it so you don't make yourself look silly.
no I didnt read it I have several friends who have chosen the drug lifestyle and havent worked for 30 years.........they have what they call Obama phones 90 min.free each month.
they only thing I feel silly about is giving my hard earned pension to these free loaders and that is what this has to do with the retirement forum....but as usual....I must be wrong.........

Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Lawmakers Propose One-Time $250 Payment for Seniors

(July 30, 2010)

A new bill in Congress would provide a one-time $250 payment to senior citizens, veterans and the disabled in the event that no Social Security cost-of-living adjustment is payable in 2011.

House Ways and Means Social Security Subcommittee Chairman Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., introduced the Seniors Protection Act of 2010 on Friday. The bill would assist 57 million American seniors, retired and disabled veterans, and disabled individuals with a one-time $250 payment in the event that no inflation adjustment is announced this fall.

entire article at link

Lawmakers Propose One-Time $250 Payment for Seniors
Whoo-Hoooo.....Happy Days are here again.....

Buy stock in Denny's folks!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
....but as usual....I must be wrong.........
Well, at least that's one thing we can agree on!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM

53 posts, read 193,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
The US is sending tons of money to Pakistan to help people that hate us. Give it to us blue hairs.

I believe the total amount of federal tax dollars going outside the U.S. should be $0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,828,741 times
Default Inflation is alive and well

I don't know about others, but I am 6 months away from starting SS and working part-time in a low wage ($10/hr), temporary job (substitute teaching), and from 2009 - 2010, I saw my auto insurance increase 10% with absolutely no change in coverage or accidents, I saw my internet bill increase 7% for absolutely no reason, I saw my electric bill increase over 10% due to added fees and surcharges even though my kilowatt usage WENT DOWN, and my health insurance premium increased 12%. Food prices also keep increasing through shrinking packages as well as increased prices. And there isn't any inflation????? And they are saying no COLA due to no inflation in 2010 and 2011? What kind of math are they using?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
They don't count internet cost or many of thsoe fees ebcause they are federally manad6t5e :i beleive. Heck they won't even count when your taxes really satrt to rise for federal spending now.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Rather than speculate and complain, here is the document from the Bureau of Labor Statistics explaining the elements, and change, in the measure used to calculate SS annual increases:

Table 4. Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W): U. S. City Average, by expenditure category and commodity and service group

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,351,400 times
~

Here is a headline/quote from a current article in USA TODAY.

Federal workers earning double their private counterparts

Quote:

At a time when workers' pay and benefits have stagnated, federal employees' average compensation has grown to more than double what private sector workers earn, a USA TODAY analysis finds.

Federal workers have been awarded bigger average pay and benefit increases than private employees for nine years in a row. The compensation gap between federal and private workers has doubled in the past decade.
entire article at link

Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com

~

Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Actaully that does not surprise me in a economy where the public sector is providing so mnay services to the public sector.But then again as long as the private sector is more and more dependent on the public sector its going to continue. Just looking at demand tells you that.Demand in the private secdtor is wash in a pool of epople for each job available at lower levels.With increrased automation and lower numbers need in basic labor jobs long with 12 million working at wages americans will not its going to increase really.Its lke lokig back to the 50's ans 60's where public sector jobs wer at teh bottom of the totum pole compared to private sector jobs because demannd was low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement