Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 08:24 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

Rained again last night, a quarter inch. WOW! Cool rain this morning, golly it smells good out. What a nice change. Heading out for a walk with the dogs. Gee whiz, rain....actual rain!

Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Rained again last night, a quarter inch. WOW! Cool rain this morning, golly it smells good out. What a nice change. Heading out for a walk with the dogs. Gee whiz, rain....actual rain!

Rained here last night. Totally unexpected. Weather report said "some clouds". Yup, those were "some clouds" alright! lol Nice and coolish so far today. It's been really windy here the last few days so I haven't wanted to do much outside.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 PM

It's been raining off and on all day, temps in the 40's. Snow and some mountain passes closed in the high country (where I wish I lived). Sure am enjoying this cool rainy weather, wish it would last.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
NYgal: We surely have not answered your question about debt consolidation. I can't help either. But, if I were in your spot, I would find a need and fill it. Don't expend any $$ getting into the thing. If it's babysitting (yuk) or dog sitting (maybe) or driving people around, or doing crafts for a craft fair, etc etc. I would just plow all of that cash you make into the bills for a while. It's work again, I know. But the satisfaction of paying down some debt may be worth it. Many people go to Good Will and then post stuff on Ebay. It's not that hard. Kinda fun when you can say "Oh my xxxx sold today!" Just a suggestion. I sold old jewelry on Ebay a while back.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
Haven't heard from Meo lately. Wonder if she is on her trip to Tennessee. Looking forward to hearing from her.
Haven't left yet. I fell once again & broke my glasses so am waiting on getting my new pair. Just my glasses & pride were hurt in the fall.

It will take 10 working days, 6 left to go. Then I have to coordinate driving times as my Marion, I'll brother wants me to stay overnight & go with them to church on a Sunday. Then coordinate with my Nashville, Tn brother for arrival & staying there.

Gotta love those brothers!

I will let folks know during or after my visit. To be honest, I am a bit scared of the thought of moving that far away & of buying/ finding a mobile home to buy. But, my brothers will help.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Does anyone here have any information/wisdom you would share with me regarding debt consolidation? At this point I can only do the minimum payments which really does almost nothing to reduce the debt.

Anyone at all familiar with Nerd Wallet? Or perhaps know of a better way to consolidate?

Yes, this is a financial question but I am 75 and retired. I am hoping to get the wisdom from someone who might have gone through this upsetting situation or perhaps knows of someone who did.

Thank you!
NYgal, before I finally declared bankruptcy I searched for places to help. Lutheran Social Services seemed to offer a lot. I was too far gone by then, laid off at 55 & no job prospects, but they seemed to be pretty forthcoming & if I had a job or income I would have chosen them to help me.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I so appreciate everyone's patience, great suggestions, and the caring I have felt when reading your posts.

I hired a lawyer and will file bankruptcy. I have to come up with money for a deposit to get it going and the balance of the lawyer's fees will be paid in monthly payments. I have been extremely resistant to doing this. I have felt this whole disaster was my fault, I've felt very embarrassed and thought I could get it paid down by doing what I was doing. But that wasn't happening and wasn't likely to happen ever. My yearly income was less than the total I owed and was never able to pay more than the minimum.

So I'll be debt free except for two loans from the credit union that I will be responsible for and since there are less than 3 more years to pay on them, I'm confident these will be paid then.

Meo, I am so excited for you! A really brave adventure you will be on soon. How fortunate to have those brothers!! I'll be looking for more posts from you telling us your progress. I wish everything good for you and that your hopes and plans are all recognized.

Thanks to all of you again. I have felt a lot less alone in the struggle.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM

NYgal1542 - do not feel embarrassed. Bankruptcy is designed for a fresh start which you will get. Don't stress over that. Good luck to you.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Haven't left yet. I fell once again & broke my glasses so am waiting on getting my new pair. Just my glasses & pride were hurt in the fall.

It will take 10 working days, 6 left to go. Then I have to coordinate driving times as my Marion, I'll brother wants me to stay overnight & go with them to church on a Sunday. Then coordinate with my Nashville, Tn brother for arrival & staying there.

Gotta love those brothers!

I will let folks know during or after my visit. To be honest, I am a bit scared of the thought of moving that far away & of buying/ finding a mobile home to buy. But, my brothers will help.

Thanks for the update, Meo. I'm thinking of relocation too in a few years but have a lot of concerns like you do. Glad you have your brothers, that should help quite a bit. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
NYgal1542 - do not feel embarrassed. Bankruptcy is designed for a fresh start which you will get. Don't stress over that. Good luck to you.

I agree with Jim. You've worked for many years. You deserve to enjoy this part of your life. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement