Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times

Advertisements

Especially single female retirees, just wondering if you purchased a weapon of some type, and did you learn how to use it, and where do you keep it?

I am in AZ and Sheriff Joe just had his duties clearly restricted by the Feds. Now, I liked the way he rounded up criminals in this county. I think maybe I should look into some type of protection (besides my 2 wimpy dogs) but the thought of it is scarey.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Especially single female retirees, just wondering if you purchased a weapon of some type, and did you learn how to use it, and where do you keep it?

I am in AZ and Sheriff Joe just had his duties clearly restricted by the Feds. Now, I liked the way he rounded up criminals in this county. I think maybe I should look into some type of protection (besides my 2 wimpy dogs) but the thought of it is scarey.
It won't be scarey if you think of it like what it is. It's a tool and nothing more (hence calling it "tooling up" when putting on a gunbelt for work back in the day). Just like you wouldn't grab a screwdriver to saw a board, you don't grab a marshmellow to protect yourself.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 PM

526 posts, read 899,285 times
just don't buy one...learn and continue to practice

Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
To own and potentially use a gun, one must be of utmost self-confidence of not only handling a gun but actually using it when the need is perceived. Be aware that in some states, using a gun on an intruder can backfire--not only on you personally but you can actually be prosecuted for harming or killing an intruder! (so I have read)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,024,553 times
Very interesting question. I do not but have given it some thought. I don't know how much damage I could do with the gulf clubs I have hidden throughout the house (I'm 5'3" @ 105 lb.)

I first want to take a self defense class. I grew up with a brother & 5 male cousins so I had to learn to fight but that was a few years ago.

First the class and then I will give it some serious thought.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Maybe a homeowner can be prosecuted for harming an intruder in other states, but Texas pretty much protects any homeowner who's protecting his/her life or property. In fact, a few years ago a local homeowner shot and killed a burglar who was hauling away merchandise from his neighbor's house (the neighbor was on vacation at the time). Not only was the homeowner not prosecuted, he was revered as a hero.

Last edited by TFW46; 12-16-2011 at 12:53 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 AM

354 posts, read 1,282,210 times
Default Stay Calm

Quote:
Especially single female retirees, just wondering if you purchased a weapon of some type, and did you learn how to use it, and where do you keep it? ...
PhxBarb, you are in a great place if you are interested in owning and learning how to use a weapon. There are at least two gun clubs with qualified instructors and indoor shooting ranges with regular classes and guns you can rent and use on their range for the classes and to see what feels right for you. Check out the Scottsdale Gun Club and Shooters World (AZShootersWorld.com).

There are lock boxes with a number code combination and other options to keep the gun safe condition but available. Figure out how you are going to do that before you buy one.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
why do people data harvest personal info late at night like this on CDF?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
I'm single, 61, own a gun, but I keep it around in case some nasty intruder comes into my life, like some incurable cancer!

The gun has been sitting in its case for 16 years now, only shot it once at a shooting rage, have lots of bullets, but don't know if I could even find it, as I keep hiding it in different spots all the time.

I live in a townhouse and I feel pretty safe here, but I wouldn't feel safe if I lived in a single family residence.

One thing I won't do is put bars on my windows, IMO, that's just advertising that there's seniors living there!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:

You base your need for a gun on Sheriff Joe, who doesn't even police your jurisdiction? Go stand by your mailbox and hold your breath until a County Sheriff comes by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement