Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times

Advertisements

I grew up and lived for 65+ years in NJ. The reputed gangster and drug capital of the Northeast. Always a police presence in every town where I lived and very few people where we lived even considered owning a gun except for the hunters. (which only allowed shotguns)
There were always break ins mostly in the very wealthy areas and of course the bad guys in the inner cities always had guns. I never considered owning a gun.
Ever since moving to semi rural NC and visiting the NC boards all I seem to read about is owning and carrying guns for protection.
Why do I have this feeling that now after 60+ years do I all of a sudden need a gun?

In NJ I could drive 15 min. and be right in the middle of drug dealer central. I didn't need a gun then but now I have no idea where the drug capital of NC is but I have this need to own a gun?

I will tell you one thing I have noticed since moving here is that the amount of gun violence domestic and criminal is so much greater here than in the state of NJ.
I have to ask. Why is that so?

The former police chief in my town was killed last week by a legally owned gun by someone who was being arrested for being delinquent on child support payments.
The guy had a history of mental problems but he still carried a weapon.
Maybe the reason the people of NC need a gun is because the state believes everyone should have one and now I'm thinking I need one too.
Am I wrong?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And then there are those of us...
...who insist on citing exceptions as though they were anything but that.

Quote:
Last year I taught my wife to shoot and she's over 60.
Good for her.

I'll stand by the points I made. To reiterate:
If by age X you don't already have firearms as a part of your life it will rarely be wise to add them later.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
I have a 210 lb dog. He is getting old so we may have to replace him in the near future.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...who insist on citing exceptions as though they were anything but that.

Good for her.

I'll stand by the points I made. To reiterate:
If by age X you don't already have firearms as a part of your life it will rarely be wise to add them later.
Irrational. An exception is an exception and nothing more, even when it applies to many.

I also disagree with the premise that you "can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Purchasing a firearm at any age is a serious responsibility and should always be accompanied by appropriate training and practice as well as a thorough review of applicable laws.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
I'd set that age "X" threshold at about 30 btw (let alone 60).

Setting aside the philosophical issues related to 2A own and carry rights (which I support fully btw)...
most people who buy guns do so as an emotional response based in paranoia and/or delusion.

Paranoia about the nature and severity of what risk they actually face and/or
delusion about actually following through effectively with some Dirty Harry response to a scenario.

hth

Hmmmm....rarely do I agree with you (well sometimes but not always), but i agree here. One does not wake up suddenly at age 60 and say gee I think I'll get a gun and learn how to use it. Anyone who enters unarmed will easily overpower a 60 year old novice and turn the gun on him or her. Talk about irony--getting shot and possibly killed with your own gun.

I'd say buy the best alarm system you can, and outdoor sensors. If elderly, get the kind of alarm system that's tied in to the police station.

Don't live rural unless you know how to protect yourself and are very self confident, yes with a gun if necessary.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Every senior who can use the stove or the washing machine can safely and effectively use a handgun and all of such persons should have one and keep it near. Get the largest gun that one is comfortable shooting and practice, practice practice. Keep it loaded and handy. If someone breaks in shoot him. Work out the legality later.

On another subject I would like to bring some reality to the issue of self defense training. At least the physical self defense version.
News to the uninformed. Only trainers will tell you that you can ward off an attacker by physical resistance. A 70 year old gent in pretty good shape will end up with a broken neck in addition to his lost wallet and credit cards by even the clumsiest 20 year old. If someone his age over at the shuffleboard court tries to take a swipe at him, a self defense class may help, but it will not help him when a much younger, more active person has at it. Trust me on this. I am a big guy with a bad attitude, but at my age, either one of my 20 somethings could put me in the dirt in 5 seconds. A determined 25 year old woman can probably deter a rapist or purse snatcher, who was not planning to kill her, by fighting him off. But, even a well trained female will not be fighting very long by a person willing to clock her unconscious. Tugboat Annie might fight off Pee Wee Hermann but that's about the limit of it. Elevated self esteem of well trained females notwithstanding. That's why there are separate sports for men and women athletes.

Self defense training that tells you not to go anywhere with an attacker, not to let anyone into your home, throw your car keys away when someone jumps in the car, wreck the car into something if they are already in there, and scream, scream scream, is good advice. The jiu jitsu, not so much.

That's why one needs an equalizer. I would couple the handgun at home with a nice can of bear spray for being out and about. A 13 oz. can of bear spray will not send you to jail, but likely will send the recipient to the ER. and, under most state' rules you can shoot a person invading your home, but out and about you can't put a cap in them unless they offer deadly force. Ergo the bear spray.

Last edited by Wilson513; 12-16-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
That's why one needs an equalizer.
that must be one tough shuffleboard court you hang out at.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
that must be one tough shuffleboard court you hang out at.
Yeah, shoot-out at the local senior center--someone bumping into you by mistake...

Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah, shoot-out at the local senior center--someone bumping into you by mistake...
This made me laugh. We just moved to an old farts neighborhood and the older guy next door is a gun enthusiast which is his right, but I kept wondering how his shaky hands were handling those big guns he has. My dad was a police officer and I grew up around guns, I respect guns and would never take your rights away. But I do have a very clear memory of when I was 11 laying on the living room floor, my dad cleaning his gun, his gun going off and putting a bullet through the wall our house into the neigbor's house next door. Then his Lt. was teaching a gun safety class at the Jr. college and the rifle discharges in the classroom bringing down the a/c vent on his head. For Christmas they gave him a ceiling vent with a dead bird attached to it. I love cops. Sooooo, again I respect guns, if you want them you can have them, but do be careful LOL. And most of all, avoid the Jack Daniels when cleaning your guns. Wonder if the guy next door drinks.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Are the gun laws regarding shooting/killing home intruders on the state level or federal? If fed, what is the current law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement