Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,599,263 times

Advertisements

I don't think that sitting quite a bit is necessarily bad mentally and emotionally. It depends upon what one is doing during all the sitting, and one's mental state.

I know recent medical reports state that it is not healthy to sit too much, and one should get up and move around once every hour if sitting for a long period.

But sitting can be productive in a great number of ways, depending upon the activity such as reading books and newspapers, painting, creating something, learning something new, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM

760 posts, read 772,019 times
People need to train their kids to learn how to NOT constantly need other humans around them, to make their own entertainment and fill their own needs without having to rely on outside sources and persons to do it for them.
I've had no problems at all with depressions or lonliness, as long as I have my dogs and my stuff at home, I don't need anything more around me.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,314,645 times
I am not retired yet, but have found as I get older that I have gone from being an extreme extrovert to a mild introvert over the past 25 years. I don't know what has flipped that switch, but I now find that I easily become exhausted if I am forced to "people" too much at one time. For instance, I participate in facilitating some corporate retreats where I work - every two weeks I have to be "on" during those events and when I go home my kids know to leave me alone and let me sleep. Frequently I will go to bed at 5 p.m. and not wake up until my alarm goes off the following morning. That's how much it wipes me out to be so social and present during those corporate events. When my kids know I have a retreat that day, they say, "Well, we'll see you tomorrow, Mama!" because they know how much the events wipe me out.

On the rare occasions during the summer when my kids are away at camp and my husband is forced to take a business trip, I take at least one vacation day because I look forward to the possibility of going a full 24 hours without having to speak to anyone except the pets in the house.

As such, if you had asked me 25 years ago whether or not I'd be okay with a quiet, simple, solo lifestyle, I'd have said "no way," but as I get older, I think that I would be okay in the long-run if I were to end up suddenly alone.

Hope I don't have to find out anytime soon, though...

Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I am not retired yet, but have found as I get older that I have gone from being an extreme extrovert to a mild introvert over the past 25 years. I don't know what has flipped that switch, but I now find that I easily become exhausted if I am forced to "people" too much at one time. For instance, I participate in facilitating some corporate retreats where I work - every two weeks I have to be "on" during those events and when I go home my kids know to leave me alone and let me sleep. Frequently I will go to bed at 5 p.m. and not wake up until my alarm goes off the following morning. That's how much it wipes me out to be so social and present during those corporate events. When my kids know I have a retreat that day, they say, "Well, we'll see you tomorrow, Mama!" because they know how much the events wipe me out.

On the rare occasions during the summer when my kids are away at camp and my husband is forced to take a business trip, I take at least one vacation day because I look forward to the possibility of going a full 24 hours without having to speak to anyone except the pets in the house.

As such, if you had asked me 25 years ago whether or not I'd be okay with a quiet, simple, solo lifestyle, I'd have said "no way," but as I get older, I think that I would be okay in the long-run if I were to end up suddenly alone.

Hope I don't have to find out anytime soon, though...
None of us do. I love sitting alone with my thoughts, listening to a book, kicking back and feeling the sun on my face. As dear as I love my family somedays it is so crazy in my life that my ears ring. Oh wait that is tenitis. It is so crazy my hair hurts. Oh wait I am losing that too. Maybe I am just losing my mind. Yeah that's it I am losing my mind.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
None of us do. I love sitting alone with my thoughts, listening to a book, kicking back and feeling the sun on my face. As dear as I love my family somedays it is so crazy in my life that my ears ring. Oh wait that is tenitis. It is so crazy my hair hurts. Oh wait I am losing that too. Maybe I am just losing my mind. Yeah that's it I am losing my mind.

You're just suffering from the idea of winter up ahead. And your next Mass. tax bill.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:12 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
You're just suffering from the idea of winter up ahead. And your next Mass. tax bill.

Yikes . Another winter coming. OMG I better go out and buy that snow thrower soon. It seems everytime I buy one of those the winter is less. It probably is cheap insurance.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,546,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Yikes . Another winter coming. OMG I better go out and buy that snow thrower soon. It seems everytime I buy one of those the winter is less. It probably is cheap insurance.
It must be a conspiracy. The last two times I've bought a new winter coat the next day dawned mild and sunny and it stayed that way for at least two or three weeks with unseasonably warm weather. A conspiracy I tell you!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
People need to train their kids to learn how to NOT constantly need other humans around them, to make their own entertainment and fill their own needs without having to rely on outside sources and persons to do it for them.
I've had no problems at all with depressions or lonliness, as long as I have my dogs and my stuff at home, I don't need anything more around me.
My father used to tell us to "go scratch your feet" when we said there was nothing to do. He said it in Spanish. But yes, you have to learn to entertain yourself.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,546,824 times
Three months ago my wife left me and moved 2,000 miles away, back to where her family is.. Three days ago I posted about being alone and getting used to it. Last night my wife called in tears and said she wants to come back home. I was gobsmacked. It was the last thing I expected. When I asked she said that everything was fine where she is but she misses me terribly. I asked her to sleep on it, as did I. This morning I called and asked her if she still wished to return to or home and she was adamant that she did. We discussed the logistics of another move and changes we each were both going to make so when her six month apartment lease is up I'll fly back then drive her home.

Well, I've always maintained that life really is what happens when you've made other plans.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:02 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,126,440 times
Curmudgeon: Wow, that must have been a huge surprise. If this is something that makes you happy, I am SO glad for you!! So there are three more months to go on her lease?

Remember to be good to yourself. Sometimes these gifts are wonderful for us. I hope this one is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement