Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:46 PM

400 posts, read 739,874 times

Advertisements

Very nice, TuborgP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,014,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0611 View Post
Hello Future/Retiree's

I was hoping to get some views on the subject of a spouse unwilling to move. We have visited Oregon several times and we both like it (we currently live in the Northeast (Massachusetts). My wife is unwilling to move because of her ailing mother (lives with her husband) and 1 daughter that lives nearby - our other 2 daughters live in California (which actually will be closer to us in Oregon).

My reasons why I think we should be able to move:

1. This is our time - sorry to put it this way but things go downhill from here and I want to enjoy our lives together start doing things - gardening, camping, travel

2. Massachusetts is very expensive and we both agree we need to cut expenses - yes I know Oregon is in the middle of road of saving money. What I have found in my research the areas with the lowest cost of living has more negatives to the area

3. We will still be in communication with family in the Northeast - we are not going to move into a cave

4. I have family in the Northeast but I cannot see being held back from your dreams. Are you suppose to hang around until you are too old to do anything?

5. I have had several major health issues and I want to do things before I am not able to and no regrets.

6. I do not like the weather anymore in the East - too humid at times, cold for about 5 months of the year, and the cost of living.

Your comments would be appreciated,

Thanks
Tonytiger
Hello, fellow Mass. resident. I have a close relative in Oregon and have visited several times. As far as environmental beauty (that you would see every day), imo Mass = Oregon (unless you're stuck in an inner city). As far as COL and taxes go, it appears at first glance as they're much the same. I'd like to see a 2013 comparison. Yes we get cold and humid, however the times I was in Oregon I felt oppressed by the weather (don't know if it's permanent climate, but my relative tells me so).

I'm wondering if there's some other huge factor that draws you so far away from family. Like are you a super outdoors enthusiast and Oregon gives an advantage, etc. Just curious.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,426,515 times
Default The move you choose

Our last move is usually involuntary, to that real estate that measures 8' by 4' by 6' deep. So it makes a great deal of sense to me to choose where to live for a move or two before that final one.

There will always be people that will complain. Many do not have the energy or vision to make a major change for themselves, and resent you for being able to do it. Some will miss you, or it would be more convenient for them if you stayed put. Others seem to think we are born to suffer, so whatever is not so great should just be carried like a burden. Humor everyone, do not try to please anyone, life is too short to either be unpleasant or to live it on others' terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement