Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Santa Fe. That is a great place, right ? Is real estate very expensive there?

People do not believe that it is possible, but I can usually tell what someone's sign is. Not always, but often. It is easier to tell if they're an earth, sun, water or air sign, though.
Real estate is expensive depending where you are coming from. It's about the same as the NW--in my book, expensive compared to what people make. But that's a whole topic of much discussion on the New Mexico forum.

I've done some pretty good guesses too of people's signs--I agree it's easier to tell earth, etc. before actual sign but then it can be some other aspect of their personality I'm picking up. One guy said he doesn't tell anyone what his sign is and after about six months I told him I couldn't make up my mind if he was a Gemini or a Cancer. He reminded me of people of both signs. The look on his face was great--he was born on the cusp. Sometimes I think (when I'm really old) I'll be Miss Marple (Agatha Christie) for Halloween.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
This was posted on a thread about Truth or Consequences, NM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgolfer
I need as much first person info on T or C as possible. Moving there is a possibility and I would like to know what to expect. Thanks for any info you have for me.

We have been workamping here at one of the resorts for almost two months. After being on the road for over a year and seeing much of small town America, and here is what we think of this town:

The Pros:
It's walkable, and you'll do little driving when you don't need to stock up on supplies.

The scenery is OK if you like dirt and dust.

The public golf course is a deal.

There's some good art.

The Cons:
Unfortunately, we think there are way more cons...

It's not as inexpensive as people think it is. Real estate is high for where this town is located, and what it has to offer (which isn't much).

The two grocery stores in town carry the essentials, but be prepared to pay for it. If driving 75 miles to go to WalMart won't hurt your wallet, than you should be OK here.

The gas merchants are thieves. Fuel here is higher than in Socorro, a town barely bigger than this, less than an hour north.

There is rampant drug use among the bored younger people and drifters living in the many trailer parks here.

Pit bulls on the loose are everywhere, and a favorite of the locals. The dog catcher is busy.

The litter and garbage strewn across the landscape makes it very depressing to look at.

There is ZERO in the way of nightlife, movie theatres or entertainment. You have to make your own here.

People here are not nearly as friendly or welcoming as many other small towns we've been to. In fact, many are quite grumpy. Nobody says Hi on the street or makes eye contact.

Property taxes are low, but that means that the local government invests ZERO in infrastructure, streets, or education. The streets are potholed, sidewalks broken, the park is dirty, and there are vacant dilapidated buildings everywhere.

I'm sorry to be so negative about this place, but it's just what we see as newcomers, who are about to leave soon.

Everyone keeps saying that this place is going to take off and become something, but we just aren't seeing it. Give it another 20 years, maybe, and you might see a better element moving here and turning it into something as nice as Silver City, but until then, I'd stay far away from here. It's just depressing. I'm sure the locals who don't want their property taxes to go up will love hearing me say that!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 AM

14 posts, read 30,692 times
Wink Women retiring alone to a new city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
As some of you know from following my posts, I am planning on retiring alone, but in a different area from where I am now (California) due to the costs.

I am curious if there are other single/divorced/widowed women out there considering relocating to another area by themselves, and if so to where, and why that location?

I am very torn about where to go. I love the sunshine and dry weather -- factors in my choices. I also want a social network, and am an eastcoaster, originally, and am wondering if I should reconsider the eastcoast because it seems more social. It will also just be my retirement income (it's just me!), and so lower costs, rather than higher, are important.

I'm not really old enough for the senior centers, as I've noticed they seem to be more filled with the 70 and over crowd. Therefore, since I am still lively and young at heart, I am looking for a place where older singles still mingle. I am searching out places that may work for a single retired woman. (I am 59 right now, but plan to try to stick it out here a few more years, if possible.)

I have diverse interests, moderate politics (Independent), and write, play a little piano for myself, draw, and teach art. I'm a social worker by trade, but would like to be involved in more activities and volunteering that would be "fun" oriented. I love hiking -- that is one of my favorite pursuits. I also adore cooking. I have a dog and three cats. I am also not religious, although I guess the term "Spiritual" would apply. My daughter will be in college, but also studying abroad, so she and I will not be in the same city.

I'd love to hear what others think about this situation. Thanks!
Wisteria

Hi Wisteria,
I think if we met in California, which is where I live now, we'd probably become good friends! I am an eastcoaster originally too, in your age range, artistic, creative, animal lover, and am thinking of heading back east and up north to Maine. I can't afford it here and it's getting crazier and more dangerous all the time. I know in Maine the snows can be heavy, but I'm thinking of near the coast, the beaches... it's beautiful, pretty inexpensive to get a nice place to live, peaceful, safe, but you can still have amenities, and culture is not too far away. I'm considering going there, or perhaps Connecticut, in the Hartford area. Very affordable, like Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, area. The only thing I worry about with Maine is health insurance. I know they have good programs for seniors, as my dad lives there, but when you're in between, and need basic health insurance, I hear it's extremely expensive. Anyway, good luck to you...
CityKitty

Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
CityKitty:
Hi Wisteria,
I think if we met in California, which is where I live now, we'd probably become good friends! I am an eastcoaster originally too, in your age range, artistic, creative, animal lover, and am thinking of heading back east and up north to Maine.
Hi CityKitty,

Nice to meet you. Where in California are you located? North, south, central?? (Maybe right down the street! )

I thought of Maine, too, at one point. I toy around with a lot of different ideas, however, I do not have relatives or friends in Maine, so it could be pretty isolating. And those winters! I do like the towns along the coast, though -- they are beautiful.

I am open to various places, however, I am leaning more toward the southwest because of the sun, warmth and lower humidity. I have bad Seasonal Affective Disorder, and didn't realize that is what it was until I moved to the sunshine -- what a huge difference there was for me!

Plantlover, yes, I follow that thread, too. I know there are many varying opinions about the TorC area. I will re-check it out once my friends from here move there in a few months. They will keep me posted as to how it seems in comparison. The plus side of TorC ... if there was a group of people congregating together in one place -- is that property is cheaper there, and there is the possibility of cheaper apartments or multiple dwellings. That way, you'd be importing people of similar interests and values -- a ready-made network.

I am also open to other areas there, too. Of course, serendipity may kick in, and who knows what will happen? Sometimes we are just guided into the place that feels right to us. But if not, then I am still keeping New Mexico on my list.

Wisteria
Sun in Sag
Moon in Scorpio
Cancer Rising
Pisces Midheaven

Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_spirit View Post
I think we should both start putting the word out with a website and yahoo group and draw more people interested in community building and also explore the groups that are already out there.

Even in this small group we are in different places in our lives and have different needs and wants and time frames and styles.

With a larger number of people we can generate more energy and form sub-groups with different interests and needs.

I'm up for creating a Yahoo group -- Please give me some ideas for a group name! And some ideas for a blurb about the group.

Does anyone know about Meet-up groups? Can they be virtual or just for locals?

I'll also contact some of the existing groups and find out if there are gatherings/conferences planned that some of us might want to go to.
This thread has created such a nice momentum! Hope it does lead to something like desert spirit mentions---maybe even a website. Conversing/meeting with like-minded solo ladies (and well-behaved gentlemen) in our desired areas and with a quest for community,similar goals, values and some shared interests would be inspiring as we plan/dream toward a move. Such positive energy shown on this thread shouldn't go to waste!

I'm still stuck on HDL's very appealing plan. Keep looking for that investor/benefactor HDL!

Would enjoy very much meeting up with you ladies in New Mexico but care-taking responsibilities likely won't allow it. It sounds like a neat idea though to get together even for those not planning on The Land of Enchantment as a retirement destination. The group of women on this thread rocks!

Finally, where the heck are you anomaly! We miss your good energy here. Hope everything is OK. Come on back.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Default sun in scorpio

I love the idea of cottage living centered around a central locale or activity/garden/cooperative building . I would be very into meeting up and ..... yes, where oh where is anomoly ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-03-2008, 04:41 PM

I am open to various places, however, I am leaning more toward the southwest because of the sun, warmth and lower humidity. I have bad Seasonal Affective Disorder, and didn't realize that is what it was until I moved to the sunshine -- what a huge difference there was for me!

I have this , also, wisteria. That is why, even though I could afford to live in Portland & it is such a beautiful city, I would hesitate to move there. I crave the sun. I don't know how I would feel about never having rain showers, but I do know that I love the warmth and the coziness of the sun.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-03-2008, 05:17 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I love the idea of cottage living centered around a central locale or activity/garden/cooperative building . I would be very into meeting up and ..... yes, where oh where is anomoly ?
Take a look at Greenbelt, MD and the other "Green" towns that were built in the 1930s.
Greenbelt Homes, Inc.
They were and remain coops built as part of the New Deal and were created as "walking" towns with everything moving around a center. Interesting concept. The prices in Greenbelt remain very low, you can actually get a 1-bedroom Coop there for less than $100,000. They're very strict on rules and financing. I tried to buy there when I was living in DC but got turned down.
It is on the subway line to DC.
It sounds like the type oif community you're looking for. Weather's not that great, though. Hot and humid summers and cold winters.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks, but those are not the kind of winters that I would want.

I wonder why you would get turned down for a place , though. What a nerve!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 108,051 times
It sounds like you are getting advice on many wonderful places to relocate. Making new friends can be easy if you know where to go. Joining a service group like the Kiwanis or Elks will be a sure place to meet men. In addition, they have lots of social activities as well as volunteer work for the community. You will always have a place to go when you want to be with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.