Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,032,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I love this very old thread but when we get this far off the original topic you've all lost me!
Actually, that's why I LOVE this old thread. The only rule appears to be "be nice to your sisters" or you will incur the wrath of hundreds of women. Yes, it's loosey-goosey, but hey, there's some serious bonding going on here!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 AM

915 posts, read 1,627,641 times
Quote:
I love this very old thread but when we get this far off the original topic you've all lost me!
i think it was about relocating to a tunnel in MRI (not sure which airport that is) and changing your name to fit on the mailbox...............

i plead the fifth for going off topic.....or at least a pint.

back to relocation topics, where you would go and why, Laura C posted a great list of questions to ask yourself as you consider retirement locations but I'm trying to remember where - it's on a retirement thread and NEG will no doubt know as I think it might be one of her threads.

I copied Laura's questions/added NEG's things to assess your present or prospective locations and together there's a good basis for making a sound relocation choice. Both really illustrate how individual each choice we make is.

Likely someone will beat me to the punch for identifying the titles of the two threads where this saged wisdom is found but for those who haven't read the posts, they are well-worth adding to your "quest for the holy grail" file.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Actually, that's why I LOVE this old thread. The only rule appears to be "be nice to your sisters" or you will incur the wrath of hundreds of women. Yes, it's loosey-goosey, but hey, there's some serious bonding going on here!
I agree with this - a good place to stop in and share thoughts while we are preparing to make that move. Life has enough rules.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
I recently had an MRI done on my lower spine. I had all kinds of "helpful" suggestions from people who had had it done. Some good, some bad. I tried to mentally prepare myself for this, and telling myself that I could do this.

So the day of the MRI, I went to the hospital. The tech was fabulous, I told her I was a little nervous because this was my first. She gave me earplugs and a towel to lay across my eyes, so I wouldn't be tempted to peek at this tube I was about to be put in. She gave me a ball-like device to hold the entire time so I could call her if necessary.

As I entered the contraption, I did feel like I was being squished, but once in I could relax a little....just a little. Then the noises started. I felt like I was in a nightmarish traffic jam!!! But I just tried to think good thoughts and totally relaxed......and I think I even dozed off!! I could not believe it.

Bottom line is.....I had been in there 20 minutes, the tech said, and it seemed like 5. I found the whole experience very relaxing, after getting over the initial apprehensions of the unknown. The tech showed me some of the images and I found it all very fascinating.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was proud of myself that I did it!!
I had this same experience - if I were a shrink (I am not) I would say it has to do with memories of being in your mother's womb. Very relaxing and the time sped by.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,990,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I agree with this - a good place to stop in and share thoughts while we are preparing to make that move. Life has enough rules.
I'm not into rules or control, but I do miss all the old posts about women moving alone somewhere and why, as originated by Wisteria. We got off topic all the time and shared all kinds of stories, and it was fun....but mri's, etc. seems out there...beyond that central interesting arena of women finding their wonderful place to move to and live. I like the stories of women checking in with us on their adventurous trips, too. I'll still check in to see what everyone is up to! Maybe I'll go off onto some other topic myself...like why one streak of my grey hair (in an otherwise preserved mop of red hair) refuses to keep it's new color....

Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM

62 posts, read 97,823 times
Default Forum Rules ?

Quote:
I'm not into rules or control, but I do miss all the old posts about women moving alone somewhere and why, as originated by Wisteria. We got off topic all the time and shared all kinds of stories, and it was fun....but mri's, etc. seems out there...beyond that central interesting arena of women finding their wonderful place to move to and live. I like the stories of women checking in with us on their adventurous trips, too. I'll still check in to see what everyone is up to! Maybe I'll go off onto some other topic myself...like why one streak of my grey hair (in an otherwise preserved mop of red hair) refuses to keep it's new color....
I loved all the stories by the original posters but where are they now? sorry but it is like the ending of favorite movies---the main actors have left the stage?

Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Default Back on topic ~~

Quote:
This thread has been a long time favorite of mine for its insight on a very serious topic ~~ a single woman who wants/needs to relocate and facing the daunting questions of where and how and doing it alone !

As for me, I'm still stuck in s/Oregon for a couple of reasons.... the economy has devalued my property so much I'm just not willing (or desperate enough) to take the huge lo$$ to my nest egg! BUT, as I get older it gets harder to make the mental decision to relocate alone

Still California Dreamin" (are you tired of reading that?) Still considering Florida cuz that's where my family lives. Still hanging out here

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,476,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I had this same experience - if I were a shrink (I am not) I would say it has to do with memories of being in your mother's womb. Very relaxing and the time sped by.
Seems that used to be the way of this thread, now seems a place, more so, to take a swipe at others for sharing a different experience when once we talked of everything under the sun, even pet care, taking pets to the vet which wasn't on topic either. But I hear those of you that wish to keep it all one dimintional and less like friends sharing in their life experiences. I realize I was off topic, but to me that MRI, was an adventure in my life and I wanted to share with some of my favorite gals. Silly as it may have been, but I couldn't pick up the phone to call the usaual suspects so my first thought was you ladies. This was once a place, that felt like one could ask a select group of, smart, mature, women for insight on anything. I do appoligize for overstepping the dounderies here. Guess it's time, again, like others to bail out of this section of the forum. I do appreciate the wonderful connections I've developed by way of this thread that continue off of this site.

I've found my special place and have enjoyed hearing the many adventures of you ladies. I hope everyone else finds there something/somewhere special.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,205,787 times
I still very much want to move but my house has lost around 50% of its value. This drastically limits where I can afford to move to.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,137,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Seems that used to be the way of this thread, now seems a place, more so, to take a swipe at others for sharing a different experience when once we talked of everything under the sun, even pet care, taking pets to the vet which wasn't on topic either. But I hear those of you that wish to keep it all one dimintional and less like friends sharing in their life experiences. I realize I was off topic, but to me that MRI, was an adventure in my life and I wanted to share with some of my favorite gals. Silly as it may have been, but I couldn't pick up the phone to call the usaual suspects so my first thought was you ladies. This was once a place, that felt like one could ask a select group of, smart, mature, women for insight on anything. I do appoligize for overstepping the dounderies here. Guess it's time, again, like others to bail out of this section of the forum. I do appreciate the wonderful connections I've developed by way of this thread that continue off of this site.

I've found my special place and have enjoyed hearing the many adventures of you ladies. I hope everyone else finds there something/somewhere special.
Please don't leave... I enjoy our discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement