Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

Yes, we Californians are uber sensitive about "Cali"...only black rappers and football players are allowed to use it It's sort of like saying "frisco" for San Francisco or Sacto for Sacramento. Like nails on a chalk board kind of thing. People from other areas use it but you'll never hear a Californian saying it. But, hey, we aren't exactly perfection with the English language, like fer sure!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Default Yay a place to stay while I hunt

oops

Last edited by TRosa; 08-04-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 AM

hope you know I was just joking around...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
hope you know I was just joking around...
I know, don't know about others. For now, I'm trying to lay low. The Columbians want Cali back. I know when to zip it.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM

All being said, I truly hope that anyone even thinking about moving/retiring to California really thinks twice and not just consider the beautiful weather. State taxes are going up even higher and this place taxes all pensions, social security, etc. No breaks given here. Most people retirement age are fleeing (unless they are very wealthy and can withstand the COL). And with Meg and Moonbeam running for governor, we don't have much of a future, IMO. Just too many problems that really can't be fixed. It's very sad because I've lived here 33 years.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 AM

62 posts, read 97,647 times
Default Head vs Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
All being said, I truly hope that anyone even thinking about moving/retiring to California really thinks twice and not just consider the beautiful weather. State taxes are going up even higher and this place taxes all pensions, social security, etc. No breaks given here. Most people retirement age are fleeing (unless they are very wealthy and can withstand the COL). And with Meg and Moonbeam running for governor, we don't have much of a future, IMO. Just too many problems that really can't be fixed. It's very sad because I've lived here 33 years.
Are you moving out of California? and if so to where? I must admit I am still debating my move back there. The heart wants to be close to my little grandson(in Sacramento)but my practical side says other states offer more affordable real estate etc. It will be such a relief to finally sort this dilemma out.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Are you moving out of California? and if so to where? I must admit I am still debating my move back there. The heart wants to be close to my little grandson(in Sacramento)but my practical side says other states offer more affordable real estate etc. It will be such a relief to finally sort this dilemma out.
If you are healthy and spry and able to afford airfare now and then you can hop on a plane and spend a week or two with your grandson, often a more meaningful way to be with a child rather than living close and probably not seeing him very much based on what you've said in other posts. "Grammy's coming!" will be the response if you visit 4x year. Maybe you can talk your daughter into taking a vacation during the times you're there!

New England is pricey. I love it here but I worry a lot about affording the prop taxes as they continue to go up due to the states being out of $. That said, there is a misconception that NE states are a lot more expensive to live than elsewhere. Yes, less expensive than some places like the Midwest, but compared to CA, the PNW, and NY, it is not so pricey. I complain about prop taxes but when I see what NY, NH, CA and PNW pay, my jaw drops.I don't know how younger people can begin to afford the high prices of houses, plus high taxes, and, it you get a condo, the condo fees are like paying prop taxes x 2. I guess I really am amazed.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
You might want to consider the area around Reno Nevada. Literally minutes from the CA/NV border. It's a straight shot west on Hwy 80 to Sacramento, 2 to 3 hours by car.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Yes, I'm planning to move from California when I retire...in another 3-4 years. It is so expensive here for housing, state taxes, all kinds of taxes. There is no break for pension/social security, it's all taxed. Plus I've lived here a long time and want a change.

Not sure what's going on in the Sacramento area, I know they were hit pretty hard in the housing crash, and it gets hot there in the summers.

I agree, it would be a relief to get this sorted out. I know personally I would feel less nervous about retirement if I knew where I would be living.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM

62 posts, read 97,647 times
Default head vs heart

To be honest I am trying to be there for my daughter and grandson and do what I wish my mum had done and move thousands of miles to be where I was in Sacramento. I know now that she did what felt right for her and quite rightly so. Affordability wise in Sacramento a mobile home would be a good choice but to be honest at first it would be ok but as a still free spirit--trying to remember the 60's the restrictions regarding pets would be hard to live with(wish I was a pug person instead of Scottish Deerhound type) I understand rules and regulations (Army Vet) but even though I have an Ipod I still want to live where i have enough space to just let the stereo go and not bother anyone---I am guessing that a 55 plus park is not for me. I am so glad for this forum one can express dreams,concerns and questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.