Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I wasn't being argumentative. I just cannot fathom why it needs to be stickied when there are so many posts that there is little threat to see it disappear down the boards.
Duh. Why does C-D record the number of views? C-D is like any other online business. The greater the number of views, the more money C-D earns from advertisers. With almost 1/2 million views of this thread, it is probable that many viewers are restricting their C-D viewing to this thread only. It is unlikely that those casual viewers would search the retirement forum for this thread if were to lose its sticky.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Duh. Why does C-D record the number of views? C-D is like any other online business. The greater the number of views, the more money C-D earns from advertisers. With almost 1/2 million views of this thread, it is probable that many viewers are restricting their C-D viewing to this thread only. It is unlikely that those casual viewers would search the retirement forum for this thread if were to lose its sticky.
Who creates a sticky? Does the OP request it?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Time for us girls to get together and form our own commune...serlously...we could do that for a whole lot less money and have fun too, as I said before, happy hour and wine in the IV's....

Yes!!! I would be interested... wine and all.

Although, it can seem like a daunting task to take on. Wouldn't even know where to start.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Opps, double post.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:02 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Not sure. However, I do recall that Wisteria did not request the sticky, but was understandably happy that the thread received one.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinefromTN View Post
I will not be as nice and ignore this thread, if you are a woman and can help other posters great, if not, your name says it all, try the romance section.

From living in Nashville, know all about rude men. Go have a good life and finis with this thread.
Were I the type of man you think I am or not, you are definitely not the type of woman I would have anything to do with. Don't worry, I am done.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Were I the type of man you think I am or not, you are definitely not the type of woman I would have anything to do with. Don't worry, I am done.
Can we please restore this thread to pleasant civility and comraderie? There are enough threads with personal insults...I don't want this one to be!

Topic (pleasantly more or less): Women retiring alone to another city or state: where will you go and why?

Men can and do check in and participate, but with good humor.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Can we please restore this thread to pleasant civility and comraderie? There are enough threads with personal insults...I don't want this one to be!

Topic (pleasantly more or less): Women retiring alone to another city or state: where will you go and why?

Men can and do check in and participate, but with good humor.
I thought I remembered the old pre-sticky days in 2007 or 2008 when silly me was still California dreamin'. Even after the pretty much fizzled out, I still like the thread being marked as a sticky because I made really good friends there. I see we're still bringing up the commune idea, wich we couldn't get off the ground before but it's fun to talk about it. I wonder if I can parse my bucket list into manageable chunks of time (e.g., 5 yrs, in CA, 5 yrs, in FL, 5 yrs, in PA....and then see how things are after that. I don't feel ready to make a "rest of the life" decision yet. How's that sound, for someone with a mortgage and no savings and just my 401K. That "five-year-plan COULD maybe work out? We try out a certain area, it we don't like it, we cruise on to the place place we want to try out for a few years.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
yeah, that "rest of my life" stuff just isn't in my DNA. I bounced around alot in my late teens and 20's, then kind of settled down for the last 20 or so years, which was good for me, but I can sort of see myself moving around again for awhile in my retirement years, of course if health prevails! I have a place in mind but thinking I can try it out for maybe 2 years and see how it goes.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Talking It's up to the Moderator !

Quote:
As I recall, this thread was so popular at the time ~ there was discussion about its sticky status ~ and the Moderator at that time created it

I've been a participant on this thread for several years, and lately a lurker and I have been impressed by all the spunky women who have actually made the move, alone, without a support system, and have shared their story here

This adventure is something a man cannot understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.