Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Oh my...!
I AM looking for a retirement state/town to retire to, but this thread doesn't seem to be much help! I see mostly complaints about mods, men. What happened to the statistics about city/states?!
Currently I have a large home in Cody Wy. I wintercin Texas.
To the person who thought $720 /taxes where he or she lived...I assume that was for 1 month?
Your property taxes in Cody are getting pretty dang high since I have been here. Currently $4, 000/ year for a simple 1800sf home.
I would like to see more about cities, not grumbling about the thread. Does a new thread need to be stsrted?
Incidentally- I would like a mild climate. Wyoming has only 2 seasons...dang cold (-10ºto -30º), and HOT! No spring or fall.
Poor medical in the area. (I am an RN).
I want mild climate, a place where I can safely ride my bike to the local store,; library, park. Good medical. Resonable property taxes. Reasonable foods/prices.
Tell me what you have found..
I used to live in Venice,; Fl. Now it is too crowded. Have thought of Gainsville/Ocala area and Ashville NC but have not been there long enough to meet the people and know what type of State Aid would be available in case I ever need it. There is a very good chance I will need assistance in the future due to injury/illness I have. I am no longer able to work although I would love to...
Thanks
I live in Homestead, FL. Last year my total total property tax was $716.00. This year it went up to $720.00. This is the total....for the entire year. But I am looking at moving north to my hometown, in Indiana when I retire.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Sorry if I misinterpreted the title. I agree it would certainly be more daunting moving or retiring without a support system. I was merely commenting that a couple moving in retirement will have similar issues to a single person and it seems redundant to have another thread about the same issue for couples. I guess I was seeking validation that someone wouldn't kick me out of the party for having a husband. Even with support, change is scary. But exciting, too.
I am repartnered with my DH of over 40 years. Even so, the planning I do now is based on the possibility once again of being a single woman alone. I think all women need to think that way, even with the chance that they will "go first." Any move we make now is based on what's good for me (he agrees).

Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 AM

437 posts, read 649,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I live in Homestead, FL. Last year my total total property tax was $716.00. This year it went up to $720.00. This is the total....for the entire year. But I am looking at moving north to my hometown, in Indiana when I retire.
Gotta ask, why move from warmth to INDIANA, to retire? Isn't the whole point, *I say teasingly*, to get out of the cold Midwest and head South, to sunshine and warmth?

Living in Chicago, I HAVE to move, once the house sells, 'cause the STATE AND CITY are taxing me out. I can't stay, even as I want to be around my friends.

Would I move to Bar Harbor, ME if I could afford it? Sure, it's cold in the Winter, but it's beautiful.... that quaint small town feel, right on the water....ahhhhh.... but alas, $$$$. Same with trying to stay in Chicago, and living near the lake, where I can see beauty out my window and be near transportation, great medical care, etc.... it's a kick in the $$$$.

There's no "answer", folks. What works for one will make another shudder.

For ME, it's TAXES, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AVAILABILITY, MEDICAL FACILITIES, ability to make new friends and get out of my little apt. and see some beauty.

Everyone has their MUST HAVES, and that seems to take a lot of the places we'd WANT to live, OUT of the running.

bullie~

Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 AM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, as an outsider, I'd like to express the opinion that those of you who have created a friendship circle from years of posting here - please do create your own separate group somewhere, so that those of us who are interested in discussing the issue of retiring alone to a new city/state can do so without drowning in a quagmire of inner circle emoting.

And since I've been reading a variety of forums on CD for two years now, I'd also like to express the personal opinion that I no longer believe a word StealthRabbit writes.

JaneSmith - you might be interested in reading and conversing in the Rural and Small Town Living forum. It's a friendly and welcoming forum and many of the posts might help you gain insight into why people choose to live in rural areas and small towns.
Interesting - first time I have posted in a while. I would like to suggest that as an self-proclaimed "outsider" your suggesting for "those of you who have created a friendship circle from years of posting" create our "own separate group" so you who are "interested in discussing the issue of retiring alone" can do so with.........well you get the point.

Actually this thread was created years ago just for the very reasons you suggested. It was called "Women Retiring Alone" and had a niche market that attracted the very demographic of which you speak. Somehow, sometime it was changed to "Men and Women Retiring Alone" which had nothing to do with its original intent. Why a separate group wasn't created for that demographic and instead latched onto the original one is one I do not understand. The women who belonged to this original group (I joined it in 2008) were women who for one reason or another found themselves at or near retirement age and no longer in a traditional relationship due to death, divorce, etc. It was a group that came together and who built a community of women who could relate to the trials, tribulations, ups and downs, loss and finding themselves alone at a time they never expected to be. We became each others' support group to (1) discuss relocation, (2) getting suggestions from people/women who lived in other parts of the country as to what it was like culturally, geograpically, financially, and (3) building relationships - these women have been and are great. This was never a "QUAGMIRE OF INNER CIRCLE EMOTING." Perhaps you just haven't understood the history of the creation of this thread to begin with. It wasn't taken over by "emoting" women who should created their own separate group somewhere - this was our own separate group that became something else that should have been its own separate group somewhere.

Even though this was created originally as a "women's group" some men still found their way to its threads and were able to share some good insight - and even "emoted." As they say - we are family.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default Karcon ~ I agree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Interesting - first time I have posted in a while. I would like to suggest that as an self-proclaimed "outsider" your suggesting for "those of you who have created a friendship circle from years of posting" create our "own separate group" so you who are "interested in discussing the issue of retiring alone" can do so with.........well you get the point.

Actually this thread was created years ago just for the very reasons you suggested. It was called "Women Retiring Alone" and had a niche market that attracted the very demographic of which you speak. Somehow, sometime it was changed to "Men and Women Retiring Alone" which had nothing to do with its original intent. Why a separate group wasn't created for that demographic and instead latched onto the original one is one I do not understand. The women who belonged to this original group (I joined it in 2008) were women who for one reason or another found themselves at or near retirement age and no longer in a traditional relationship due to death, divorce, etc. It was a group that came together and who built a community of women who could relate to the trials, tribulations, ups and downs, loss and finding themselves alone at a time they never expected to be. We became each others' support group to (1) discuss relocation, (2) getting suggestions from people/women who lived in other parts of the country as to what it was like culturally, geograpically, financially, and (3) building relationships - these women have been and are great. This was never a "QUAGMIRE OF INNER CIRCLE EMOTING." Perhaps you just haven't understood the history of the creation of this thread to begin with. It wasn't taken over by "emoting" women who should created their own separate group somewhere - this was our own separate group that became something else that should have been its own separate group somewhere.

Even though this was created originally as a "women's group" some men still found their way to its threads and were able to share some good insight - and even "emoted." As they say - we are family.
Very well said ( uh.... written !)

Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 AM

46 posts, read 75,787 times
I wonder if there's anyone out there who would consider renting to an early retired but still young (54) man. I know these things are dicey on forums and such but it really is the easiest way to reach the greatest number of people. From what I've read on this thread there are many who want/need help but are afraid. I don't blame them. I feel the same way. But I just sold my home of 20 years out here on the west coast and am relocating; to where I'm not sure yet, the world is my oyster. Anyway, I am strong and in good health. I am of impeccable character and would entertain the idea of rooming with someone, gender not relevant, of my own age or older.
I don't smoke nor drink, no children or pets though I adore dogs and cats. I have no mental/emotional problems and tend to do for others before thinking of myself. I am down to earth and like gardening and cooking.

I can go and do most anything I want at this stage of my life but would prefer to spend it helping others. I realize people will be apprehensive about this but what can an email hurt. I'll even send you a photo to prove I am real. Thanks and take care.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM

437 posts, read 649,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
I wonder if there's anyone out there who would consider renting to an early retired but still young (54) man. I know these things are dicey on forums and such but it really is the easiest way to reach the greatest number of people. From what I've read on this thread there are many who want/need help but are afraid. I don't blame them. I feel the same way. But I just sold my home of 20 years out here on the west coast and am relocating; to where I'm not sure yet, the world is my oyster. Anyway, I am strong and in good health. I am of impeccable character and would entertain the idea of rooming with someone, gender not relevant, of my own age or older.
I don't smoke nor drink, no children or pets though I adore dogs and cats. I have no mental/emotional problems and tend to do for others before thinking of myself. I am down to earth and like gardening and cooking.

I can go and do most anything I want at this stage of my life but would prefer to spend it helping others. I realize people will be apprehensive about this but what can an email hurt. I'll even send you a photo to prove I am real. Thanks and take care.
Because I've been around Forums of all types and sizes and degrees of professionalism, I can say without blinking an eye that I'd NEVER room with a stranger. I know that there are plenty who would jump at the chance, thinking "Oh, a new friend!" "Hey why not, the company will be lovely." "He/She sure sounds nice/normal."

And then there's me, who has seen some of the NASTIEST commentary come out of some folk on almost EVERY Forum I'm on, *LIKE THAT*...... no warning, no idea there was some imbalance... no kidding.... REAL PROFESSIONALS on the loose. And by professionals, I mean WACKOS!!!

*Not saying the gent above is anything but who he says he is*

I'm saying that we have NO IDEA who anyone is.... not until time has been spent with the person, in their own environment, watching them interact with others, spend time with their friends, family, etc.....

No thanks........... If I don't know the person WELL, I'm certainly not taking the chance of six months to a year down the road finding myself with a knife to my throat. Yup, it happens. It happens more than we want to know.

I WANT TO KNOW. I wanna know about the person and I wanna know the real stories/statistics, 'cause I don't intend on becoming one.

bullie~

Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default Bullie you are wise !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Because I've been around Forums of all types and sizes and degrees of professionalism, I can say without blinking an eye that I'd NEVER room with a stranger. I know that there are plenty who would jump at the chance, thinking "Oh, a new friend!" "Hey why not, the company will be lovely." "He/She sure sounds nice/normal."

And then there's me, who has seen some of the NASTIEST commentary come out of some folk on almost EVERY Forum I'm on, *LIKE THAT*...... no warning, no idea there was some imbalance... no kidding.... REAL PROFESSIONALS on the loose. And by professionals, I mean WACKOS!!!

I'm saying that we have NO IDEA who anyone is.... not until time has been spent with the person, in their own environment, watching them interact with others, spend time with their friends, family, etc.....

No thanks........... If I don't know the person WELL, I'm certainly not taking the chance of six months to a year down the road finding myself with a knife to my throat. Yup, it happens. It happens more than we want to know.

I WANT TO KNOW. I wanna know about the person and I wanna know the real stories/statistics, 'cause I don't intend on becoming one.

bullie~
What I've recently learned in my 75 years is that people are ever changing; one friend who I knew for over 30 years to be intelligent, vivacious, interesting, adventurous ~ turns out to be bi-polar and perhaps somewhat delusional When making new friends nowadays it's wise to use caution, especially for a woman alone and perhaps a bit needy

Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Gotta ask, why move from warmth to INDIANA, to retire? Isn't the whole point, *I say teasingly*, to get out of the cold Midwest and head South, to sunshine and warmth?

Living in Chicago, I HAVE to move, once the house sells, 'cause the STATE AND CITY are taxing me out. I can't stay, even as I want to be around my friends.

Would I move to Bar Harbor, ME if I could afford it? Sure, it's cold in the Winter, but it's beautiful.... that quaint small town feel, right on the water....ahhhhh.... but alas, $$$$. Same with trying to stay in Chicago, and living near the lake, where I can see beauty out my window and be near transportation, great medical care, etc.... it's a kick in the $$$$.

There's no "answer", folks. What works for one will make another shudder.

For ME, it's TAXES, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AVAILABILITY, MEDICAL FACILITIES, ability to make new friends and get out of my little apt. and see some beauty.

Everyone has their MUST HAVES, and that seems to take a lot of the places we'd WANT to live, OUT of the running.

bullie~
Ha ha! Yes, I understand your point. I have lived in south Florida for 40 years. I am sick of the 7 to 8 months of withering, draining, awful, humid heat, hurricanes, loony drivers, corrupt government, being a part of an 18% minority, facetious, self-centered people, high-crime, difficult to garden soil, high humidity, insect-ridden, transient-filled society. Just my opinion, just my particular feelings about south Florida.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM

46 posts, read 75,787 times
Quote:

bullie~

Bullie speaks the truth. Never a bad idea to be very cautious. I have used craigslist in the past and have found this to be very true which is why I don't waste time with it anymore. I am who I say I am. I do not lie. Greed and dishonesty are the scourge of society so very prevalent today. This is why I offer to get to know anyone first via email, text, phone, etc. first. Many are prisoners to their situation because they can't bring themselves to take a chance; though the downside is huge. I am a protector of life not a destroyer of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.